DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Legend
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been following these forums over the summer so apologies if this has been asked and answered. I'm also not completely sure what the correct forum for this is.

DIRECTV keeps contacting me about switching my HR10 for an HR20. This is not something I want to do. I already have 2 HR20's and I use the HR10 basically as a SD receiver with a huge drive. I also have 3 other SD receivers but when I get the time I will retire one of them and use the HR10 more.

Is there any reason I cannot keep my HR10 (technical or policy) and continue to use it as a basically SD receiver ?

Any way to get DTV to leave me alone. Right now I'm getting 2-3 emails and 2-3 calls and 1 mailed letter per week.

Thks

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
There should be no reason they would force you to upgrade. I believe their computer systems just keep kicking out these calls and letter. I’ve had D* for over 10 years and have done five receiver upgrades over the last two, yet at least once a week, I get a “personalized” mailing from them wanting me to switch from cable and offering all these great deals with free stuff. I haven’t had cable in probably 7 or 8 years. I won’t even bother calling and asking for the free stuff because I know it’s only for new subscribers. I just toss it in the trash, along with all the Capital One offers.

· Legend
152 Posts
I too have had D* calling and emailing to swap. I asked for a self install and they would not send without an appt with installer. I declined an will not allow them to come to my house! I have done self installs all along an will not change now. I have talked to them twice and they still call. My father also has a HR10 and still has not had a call or email yet. Not real sure how they are picking customers to swap out.

· Legend
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mertzen said:
Why not use a HR20 as a big SD DVR ?
Cause I use them as BIG HD DVR's :)

You have to consider that I have 6 currently active DVR's (which is actually one too many). One filled with kids shows, one with all the wife's stuff, one with mine, and the HR10's filled with HD stuff. HR10 currently barely being used but I should replace one of the other SD's with it.

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
allen7261 said:
Naughty boy! Some poor tree gave its life for that junk mail. :grin:
Actually, I used to send stuff back in the reply envelopes. I'd write "VOID" on the forms and tear it in half. Apparently, they don't like having to pay the postal "reply mail" charges because Capital One sent me an ugly letter from their legal department telling me that I could be prosecuted for mail fraud. It goes in the trash now.

· Hall Of Fame
4,787 Posts
tonyoci said:
I haven't been following these forums over the summer so apologies if this has been asked and answered. I'm also not completely sure what the correct forum for this is.

DIRECTV keeps contacting me about switching my HR10 for an HR20. This is not something I want to do. I already have 2 HR20's and I use the HR10 basically as a SD receiver with a huge drive. I also have 3 other SD receivers but when I get the time I will retire one of them and use the HR10 more.

Is there any reason I cannot keep my HR10 (technical or policy) and continue to use it as a basically SD receiver ?

Any way to get DTV to leave me alone. Right now I'm getting 2-3 emails and 2-3 calls and 1 mailed letter per week.

Thks
There is no reason why you cannot still use the HR10 as an SD DVR as DirecTV still supports the HR10.;)

You could ask nicely to be put on the companies do not call list.;)

If and when DirecTV ever decides to renew their agreement with TIVO you should probably be able to read it hear first.Also the same can be said if and when DirecTV decides to not renew their support of the Directivos you should be able to read it here first.;)

· Legend
329 Posts
rudeney said:
Actually, I used to send stuff back in the reply envelopes. I'd write "VOID" on the forms and tear it in half. Apparently, they don't like having to pay the postal "reply mail" charges because Capital One sent me an ugly letter from their legal department telling me that I could be prosecuted for mail fraud. It goes in the trash now.
Just return the application form with a brief note stating that you are not interested in their offer and do not wish to receive any more mail offers and they are required by Federal law to remove you from their mailing list.

J C

6 Posts
After talking to two different CSR's and getting some incorrect information, I tried the email route to see if I could get some straight answers. One of the interesting things so far has been the different phone numbers I have been given. The first swap call I got gave me a number (ends in 7772) different from the general CS number when I said I wanted to think about it and call back. The response I got from my email (which also included three months of free Showtime) has yet a different number (ends in 5000).

Is anyone familiar with the different phone numbers and are they getting me to different CS groups within D*? I really am hoping to talk to someone competent without playing CSR roulette.

· Icon
732 Posts
rudeney said:
Send it back empty. That's what I did and there's no fraud involved.

You can get your name taken off the credit offers list. It does work and I no longer get these mailings.

======================================

Notifying all credit bureaus with one phone call

1-888-5-OPTOUT is an automated service run jointly by the four main credit bureaus. With one phone call you can opt out of pre-screened mailings from all four bureaus.

1. Call 1-888-5-OPTOUT.
2. Select option 3 to opt out of mailings permanently.
3. Follow the prompts to enter your phone number, name, zip code, address, and social security number.

====================================

In case anyone is concerned about giving their info via this number, here's the info from the Federal Trade Commission at http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre17.shtm

Can I reduce the number of unsolicited credit and insurance offers I get?

If you decide that you don't want to receive prescreened offers of credit and insurance, you have two choices: You can opt out of receiving them for five years or opt out of receiving them permanently. Call toll-free 1888-5-OPTOUT (18885678688) or visit www.optoutprescreen.com for details. The telephone number and website are operated by the major consumer reporting companies. When you call or visit the website, you'll be asked to provide certain personal information, including your home telephone number, name, Social Security number, and date of birth. The information you provide is confidential and will be used only to process your request to opt out.

Remember that if you have joint credit relationships, like a mortgage or a car loan with a spouse, partner, or other adult, you may continue to receive some prescreened solicitations until both of you exercise your opt-out right.

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
jcwest said:
Just return the application form with a brief note stating that you are not interested in their offer and do not wish to receive any more mail offers and they are required by Federal law to remove you from their mailing list.
Yeah, I thought about that, but I did one better - I had my credit report flagged to disallow these unsolicited offers. I get so much less junk mail now. Well, except for the twice-weekly mailing from D and the cable company!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.