Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mentor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I am sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but here goes.

I am weighing the options of cable/ satellite. I am looking primarily at SD, but would consider HD as well. I plan on purchasing a LCD sometime int eh next several months and I am sure it'll be some sort of HD. So, HD programming for me right?

I have heard that a 720P set would easily fit my needs due to screen size and viewing distance.

I have been told on other forums that satellite should be avoided at all costs due to excessive compression or some such thing. I know it's all digital, but is there a difference in image quality with cable vs sat?

Also, how does the SD programming, which you're gonna get even with the HD package, look on a HD LCD?

Thanks in advance!! I need to make some decisions soon and I have been trying to research this on the sidelines. I am getting close to crunch time.

Dave

·
Icon
749 Posts
Fishin2Deep4U said:
Also, how does the SD programming, which you're gonna get even with the HD package, look on a HD LCD?
I have a 37 inch LCD and watch standard definition from a DirectTV 18 inch dish. I have the set adjusted to fill the screen without distorting the image geometry so I lose part of the image. It looks anywhere from abysmal to OK (if your are not being too critical). The macroblocks (video compression) worsen the situation. If you want a widescreen view, there's not much you can do about it because the picture information required to fill the screen just isn't there and your TV must make its best guess to manufacture it locally.

I just visited the local Sears store and had a look at a new 1080 line display. The salesman told me the signal was from satellite. The picture looked very nice if you are not being too critical. I say this because macroblocks seemed to reduce the overall resolution. Look closely and observe how they span many lines and rows of pixels. They also create distortions when the sceen is rapidly changing. So, I don't know if this situation presents you with high definition or higher definition television.

--- CHAS

·
Mentor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I have noticed that on lesser resolution screens (480, 720) that he image was definitely better. I guess it's just because SD is just that. And stretching the image info will just make it worse.

I really want a 42+" LCD, but if image quality will be worse than what I currently have, I'll stick with my 35" crt.

Dave

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,901 Posts
Fishin2Deep4U said:
I really want a 42+" LCD, but if image quality will be worse than what I currently have, I'll stick with my 35" crt.
All displays may be substantially the same, but the processing electronics behind them can make or break the TV. If you buy a cheap TV, it will remind you every time you watch SD programming. Cheap plasma TVs seem to be the worst. They can make a tack-sharp SD program look like a mosaic.

Make sure that you test the kind of material that you normally view. The satellite channels that many stores use are not the same as the ones that you might receive.

Such is not to say that cable is better. Someone posted some numbers recently showing that their cable company was sending them VHS quality on the standard SD channels and compressed broadcast quality on the premiums.

·
Mentor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, and I have no idea if my cable company is any better.

I can barely see 5 of my favorite channels and Comcast says that it's "normal".

Dave

·
Icon
749 Posts
Dave,

I did some video work for the Defense Department and sub-par performance was just not acceptable so I tend to be very critcal about TV technology and its performance. I hope my post hasn't discouraged you.

I have a 37 inch Sharp Aquos and a Samsung up-converting DVD player using the HDMI digital connection. I bought my LCD TV when my 32 inch Sony XBR picture tube failed. It just didn't make sense spend a lot of money to fix it.

I told you about what I don't like. Here's what I do like:

a) The wide screen aspect ratio

b) The overall quality of the display (color saturation, brightness, freedom from distortion and color convergence flaws, no reflections of ambient light (not plasma), contrast is quite good for LCD

c) Presentation of wide screen standard definition DVDs

Since I bought the Sharp a year ago, 37 inch LCD tvs have appeared with full 1080 line native resolution, better contrast ratios and much improved response time. I don't think you will be dissapointed with one of these. With 1080P, such a set should offer no compromise reproduction of the new DVD formats or anything else HD. If it's in your budget, go for it now.

If you can receive over the air with an antenna, by all means try that too.

The HD transmission technical standards are what they are and there's not much anyone can do about them after-the-fact.

No, I don't want my CRT set back.

--- CHAS

·
Mentor
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate that!!

Now I have a bit more to go on!

So, SD for now with a OTA for the 2 local HDs and then go full HD later when more channels are added?

Thanks again!!

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.