DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Godfather
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a lot of help and input from the great folks on the forums, I may just go HD using DTV DVRs. I can get an HR34 and an HR24 owned. The HR34 will immediately be upgraded to 2T and the 1T drive put into the HR24. Sort of match capacity to tuners. I can get an RV Slimline 5 LNB. I understand that a Slimline 5 LNB supports 8 tuners, is that correct? Does the Slimline also provide for legacy devices not SWiM? If so I would keep the old DirecTiVos up and running until we decided if we wanted to keep the HRXX units.

·
Godfather
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Want to buy it first then I will post on the costs.

·
Dad
6,615 Posts
Owned? Be sure you get the RID and call the Access Card Dept. at Directv to verify it. Do not take any sellers word for it.

A few employees at Directv told me they can't get them yet and that's a usual source of owned units.

·
Godfather
549 Posts
Slimline 5 LNBs come in two flavors.

One flavor is the original "legacy" which can be identified by its having 4 cable connections. It can be used with legacy receivers as-is, or it can be converted to SWM by running all 4 cables to an external SWM switch such as the SWM-8. (It is also possible to use it with both legacy and SWM receivers at the same time with the right wiring.)

The other type is the "SWM-LNB" which contains a built-in SWM switch and has only one cable connection. It ONLY works with SWM-capable receivers. It cannot be used with legacy receivers.

Umm, "RV Slimline 5LNB"? As in, Recreational Vehicle? If so, I assume it will be one of the self-aiming roof mounts, like the Winegard Trav'ler or the Motosat? If so, it will be a legacy-type LNB with the 4 outputs, because the aiming controllers cannot work with the SWM-type LNB.

keith

·
Godfather
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Slimline would for sure not be the roof mount. It will be on a tripod. As we move around many times trees would block the view of the satellite if we had a roof mount. And I can buy 15 of the tripod mount type versus one of the roof mount. If one had a roof mount, many of the newer Winegards are SWM only. I guess I don't even mind setting up the old 18" dish along with the Slimline if need be. When I make the decision I can sell one or the other.

·
Godfather
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Deal is done. HR34 owned, $549 and $17 shipping. HR24 Owned and a complete RV dish and hookup kit (plug and play) brings my total to $1098. About the same price as one of my early adopter Series 3 TiVos with Lifetime. Now if my lovely wife can just be happy with the system I am good to go. If not then the old DirecTiVos will just get more use until they die, and I will sell the owned stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.