DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we finally bought a new TV for the living room, replacing the old console TV made in October 1988, and called to upgrade to HD. Now, since we've had DTV, over 7 years, I've done my own installs, and with that have been able to answer the questions. But now, not doing the install, I just want to make sure everything is covered.

So here's the situation. We're getting the HD-DVR and the 5 LNB dish installed. We will also have 2 R15 DVRs and an older regular receiver, I forget the model. So we are talking 7 lines. I currently have a Turk BMS-58 diplexing in the local cable I get with our cable modem.

Based on what I've read around the boards, the Terk is no good for this setup, and I'm willing to accept that. I've seen the Zinwell recommended. Also, the whole diplexing thing may or may not be an option, anymore, but I'm not too concerned about that. I can make and run new cables.

Now, having written a book, my questions.

1. Will they leave the old dish, which would be great, or will they re-use the mast and put a new dish on it? Or.... is it just based on our requests and if they can find a suitable location?

2. Will they run all the lines from the new dish and provide a multiswitch, or will they just run the two lines need for the new HD-DVR and continue using the old dish? Or, is it again, based on what we ask?

3. Is there anything I have to request from DTV before the installer comes out on 1/27 to make sure everything goes smooth?

Sorry about the lengthy post, and any help/information is appreciated.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
Not lengthy when the information is all good and helps to answer your questions.

The new 5 LNB dish is mounted on a larger diameter mast and has a larger foot (base) than the previous dishes. What they most likely (should?) be doing (and this is based on the assumption that the dishes - old and new - are/will be roof mounts) is remove the old mast and everything up from there, leaving just the foot plate still attached to your roof (avoiding leakage from removing the old plate). The new dish would be a completely new installation. One thing you should confirm with D* and possibly the installation company is that they will be providing and attaching "monopoles" - two additional stabilizing poles to keep the dish from being moved by winds, etc. With all of the replacements of dishes that I have had done in the past, they have left the dish with me (not on the roof), but it wouldn't hurt to ask the installer to leave it, if that's what you'd like.

They should run four cables, or maybe I should say they should run two additional cables to make a total of four from the dish to a multiswitch that they should also provide (might be a good idea to confirm with D* that they will be including the switch). It should be the Zinwell WB68 that you have read about here. They should also run cables (or assure there are cable runs) from the switch outputs to the inputs where your receivers/DVRs will be.

If you have no line of sight issues from there the old dish is now, that should be good. If there are potential line of site issues (trees, etc.), that could be a problem. The new dish will need to see more of the sky than the old dish, so if you are currently aiming through a "tunnel", you might have problems. If so, one solution is a pole mount - if that's needed, it's a good idea to let them know ahead of time that it may be necessary.

Also, if your roof is rather high and a larger than standard-sized ladder may be necessary, that should be made known up front as well.

Finally, the free standard installation does not include attics, crawl spaces, wall-fishing and things such as that. There may be an additional charge if that sort of thing is needed, and I am not entirely sure what the process of dealing with that is - someone else may have experience with that (does that all happen at the time the installer shows up to scope the job, how do you pay, etc.).

Good luck with your install and ENJOY the new HDTV! :)

·
Super Moderator
12,887 Posts
If you want to keep the old dish, and associated wiring, there is no reason that you can't. Simply request the new dish be mounted someplace else and that they run the necessary cabling from the new mount.

If they have a choice, they will re-use the existing coax and run two new lines. If you don't want that to happen, if you want to preserve the old installation independent of the new, again you will have to specify that. The installer may or may not want to charge extra if you don't let them re-use some existing cable. The counter argument is that for the 5-LNB dish, all the wiring is supposed to be solid copper center, and that you don't want the copper clad steel re-used.

Carl

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input, guys. We have some time before the install, so I will probably confirm the couple things with DTV just to be safe. But at least I now know what to check on. Thanks again.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
SoullessAngel said:
I currently have a Turk BMS-58 diplexing in the local cable I get with our cable modem.
I know we can't diplex OTA with the Ka/Ku through a switch but not 100% how it is with cable. My guess it would also be not possible because of interference.

SoullessAngel said:
1. Will they leave the old dish, which would be great, or will they re-use the mast and put a new dish on it? Or.... is it just based on our requests and if they can find a suitable location?
He can leave it up there and use it to feed the existing system. But he can't reuse the mas or even the base of it since the ka/ku mount/pole system is bigger to deal with the higher wind load.

SoullessAngel said:
2. Will they run all the lines from the new dish and provide a multiswitch, or will they just run the two lines need for the new HD-DVR and continue using the old dish? Or, is it again, based on what we ask?
You should ask him to at least pull 4 wires down to the ground block. This will make future installs / upgrades easier. If all works with the current service he can use the old dish or take the old dish and just feed everything from the ka/ku with a multiswitch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.