DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· AllStar
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please forgive me if this is a stupid question or I have posted in the wrong forum. I am totally new to the whole world of DBS, having been conneced to TW cable for the last 20 years.

I just had my Dish network system installed with a VIP 722 receiver. I am subscibed to the top 200 and local stations. I was playing around with the OTA setup and found that I could receive 9 local digital channels with just a set of rabbit ears, this is 2 more than with the Dish Network local subscription.

I do not have an HD TV yet, but plan to purchase one in the near future. After connecting an HD TV, will I be able to watch HD channels using the OTA as the input or does the 722 somehow block HD when receiving signals this way. My thinking is that if I can receive all my locals in HD using OTA, there is no reason to pay Dish Network the extra charge for locals.

If this question or other basic dish questions are covered somewhere else in DBSTalk or on another web site, please advise.

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
AED55 said:
Please forgive me if this is a stupid question or I have posted in the wrong forum. I am totally new to the whole world of DBS, having been conneced to TW cable for the last 20 years.

I just had my Dish network system installed with a VIP 722 receiver. I am subscibed to the top 200 and local stations. I was playing around with the OTA setup and found that I could receive 9 local digital channels with just a set of rabbit ears, this is 2 more than with the Dish Network local subscription.

I do not have an HD TV yet, but plan to purchase one in the near future. After connecting an HD TV, will I be able to watch HD channels using the OTA as the input or does the 722 somehow block HD when receiving signals this way. My thinking is that if I can receive all my locals in HD using OTA, there is no reason to pay Dish Network the extra charge for locals.

If this question or other basic dish questions are covered somewhere else in DBSTalk or on another web site, please advise.
:welcome_s

Although it is a basic question, nothing wrong with that as a starter. Yes, you will be able to get your digital locals OTA in HD through a ViP722. However, you don't get the program guide information without the subscription. Also, if you have the subscription, you will be in a position to record up to three HD local network shows at the same time. However, you should know that in most areas Dish currently only offers HD from the satellite for ABC, CBS, Fox, and NBC. Still, being able to record three at once can sometimes comes in handy.

· AllStar
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for your reply. This is good info to know. Another thougt I had is that this feature would come in handy if weather conditions interfere with satellite reception, I will still be able to receive a few local channels until it clears.

I have read through the 722 manual several times and am trying to view all the info I can on the web about Dish Network and DBS, so hopefully my next question will not be so basic.:)

· Registered
2,396 Posts
AED55;1817974 ...Another thougt I had is that this feature would come in handy if weather conditions interfere with satellite reception said:
Exactly right.

I'd suggest that you really should subscribe to the Sat. Locals as was already suggested. It really is nice to have the Guide include all channels you can view and record.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.