DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some months ago I purchased a 1tb portable drive, but I never needed it for the computer and I doubt I will. Is there a way I can convert this and use it as a External HDD on my 211k? I was told there is a way, but the person wasn't sure how. Does anyone know? I have the drive, so it would be nice to be able to use it. My current WD 500K drive is getting old. It still works, but doubling my space with the 1tb would be nice. Thanks.

· DHMO User
1,095 Posts
Since it is a portable drive and doesn't have a separate wall wart, it requires USB power to operate. So, you have two possibilities after making sure there is nothing on the drive you care about. Method one would be to plug the portable drive into the receiver's USB port and see what happens. If the receiver recognizes that there is a drive there, you're golden. If not or for better stability, method two would be to get a powered USB hub. Plug the hub into the receiver and the drive into the hub.

· Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I am sure there is nothing on the drive as it is new out of the box. That is all I need to do then.The drive comes in sealed plastic case (black) and it is a Seagate.

· Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was wrong it is a Toshiba portable drive, 3.0. I tried just plugging in to the USB slot where the 500K was, but I got an error message saying it would not work. So I guess I need a power supply with it. I was over a Fred Meyer today and USB wall wart but I guess what I need is a hub. I will try Radio Shack tomorrow. I would like to use this if possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.