DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please post here, any HDMI issues you still have post 0x10B.

Please describe the problem...
Your make and model of your TV.

Earl

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
2,533 Posts
Ooops, sorry Earl.

I started one last night, amongst the mess as a distraction. It hasn't gotten much attention but I noticed quite a few people concerned with the HDMI issues. HDMI and 0x10B

Thank you once again for everything you and everyone else has done for us "Geeks"!:)

·
Legend
200 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

Earl
A couple of times since 108 when I have left the channel on a local HD (sat not OTA) when I turned the unit off, the next morning when I turn it on again...once I had a blank screen and was still able to change the channel and back and it was fine; the other time, this morning, the blank screen was there but it also locked up on me and then I had to do a reboot.
Never had thos problem before 108.
TV make and model in my siggy.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
2,533 Posts
deebeeeff said:
A couple of times since 108 when I have left the channel on a local HD (sat not OTA) when I turned the unit off, the next morning when I turn it on again...once I had a blank screen and was still able to change the channel and back and it was fine; the other time, this morning, the blank screen was there but it also locked up on me and then I had to do a reboot.
Never had thos problem before 108.
TV make and model in my siggy.
There were two of us that had that same trouble, posted in another thread and did the reset and all is well for now. The only thing I can add to this as that I run on my composite so I don't think it's limited to HDMI. :) It has only been since the 0x10B download last night, I didn't have trouble with 0x108.

·
Passed away April 24, 2010
608 Posts
Actually, so far no problems. I was having a color shift before, and I don't notice it anymore. The biggest issue in the past was the audio getting out of synch with the video. That hasn't happend.

·
AllStar
77 Posts
I have 2 HR20's but what I am reporting below only happens on one of them. The one that is connected to a Panasonic TH-50PX50U has not had this problem, the one that is connected to a Panasonic TH-42PX60U has had the problem.

Similar to the post above, if I turn the unit off after having last watched an HD channel (ESPN, 73 last night), I get a black screen in the morning when it is turned on. The only channels that I can then get are the MPEG4 local channels from LA - nothing else.

I have it set to Native = ON. It's almost like it is not changing its resolution/format when changing channels after this is happening. I originally had this 2nd box hooked up via component and it happened with the 104 release. Since the 108 release, I have switched to HDMI and it just did it again this morning. It's just odd since my other unit has not done this at all.

The only slution so far is a red button reset.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just want to double check with you guys.

Do you have 0x10B B as in Boy... (the forum text makes it difficult between 8 and B)

What I am looking for here, is feed back on the HDMI fixes in the 0x10B release

·
Passed away April 24, 2010
608 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
I just want to double check with you guys.

Do you have 0x10B B as in Boy... (the forum text makes it difficult between 8 and B)

What I am looking for here, is feed back on the HDMI fixes in the 0x10B release
Yes, I have 0x10b.

·
Legend
155 Posts
I still have, with ox10b, one HDMI issue. I run with Native mode ON and have 480p/720p/1080i selected as resolutions supported (I leave 480i unchecked.)

Sometimes when changing channels between different resolutions the HR20 does not go directly to the new resolution but does two resolution changes. For example when I am viewing a SD channel and then somethings broadcasting in 1080i it will sometimes first change to 720p and then to 1080i. This can make it take an extra long time to get to the correct resolution.

·
Godfather
415 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

Earl
My HDMI issue that was present in 0xFA remains in 0x10Boy. No change, although I did not do the complete unplug the TV procedure yet. I don't know if I'll have time to try that for a few days.

You can see my two most recent posts regarding this problem here and here.

I have a Sony KV-32HS420 32" CRT.

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
Hey all; long time reader, first time... Anyway, I got my HR20 box a few weeks ago, and have really enjoyed it. The only thing is that my TV (a JVC 34WP84) only has DVI in (HDCP compatible), so I tried running an HDMI to DVI cable from the HR20 to the TV.

The problem is that the picture has a washed out, pinkish tint to it, and no amount of reboots, power-cycling, resolution changing, etc... has corrected the issue. The best way that I can describe it is that it is like you're looking at the picture on the TV through a red/pink piece of glass, or wearing the red lens of a 3D goggle.

I am away from home till Wednesday, so I'll post pics when I return. I've been using the component outs from the HR20 to my TV, but I'd prefer to use the HDMI to DVI, as I was using the two sets of component inputs for other stuff. I have tried a couple different brands and sets of HDMI to DVI cables, with no difference in outcome.

I am running 0x10b, and have noticed the same pinkish tinting on 10b, 108, and FA software versions.

Thanks.

Jay

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
911medic said:
My HDMI issue that was present in 0xFA remains in 0x10Boy. No change, although I did not do the complete unplug the TV procedure yet. I don't know if I'll have time to try that for a few days.

You can see my two most recent posts regarding this problem here and here.

I have a Sony KV-32HS420 32" CRT.
FYI I saw on another forum a statement that Sony has acknowledged this is a problem with a chip in the TV but also that DirecTV is trying to modify the firmware to compensate. Don't know how true this is, but is a problem that has only been reported with Sony 4:3 TVs as far as I can see.
Are you set to "native" or are you doing the upconversion in the Hr20? The only difference between HDMI and component should be the handshake that occurs between the TV and the HR20, so I would have thought if you unset native the problem might disappear - just a thought...

·
AllStar
55 Posts
Woke-up this AM to a Black Screen. Tried changing channels and turned box Off and On. Still had control of Guide and Menus. Just did a Reset via the Menu. Back to working.

Samsung LN-S4695D, HDMI, HR-20 0x10b

·
DBSTalk Club Member
2 Posts
HI all, thanks for making the 0x10b happen for us earl oxfa was killing me with 2 or more resets aday.earl i wonder if alot of HDMI issues are tv related i am running a hitachi 51f59 51 inch projection i have never had any hdmi trouble from this set before or after 0x10b an i am running a 12.00 hdmi cable from fleabay so at this time i have no hdmi trouble with 0x10b.

·
Legend
113 Posts
Two units, one problem. I have upgraded two of my units to 0x10b and have only experience one problem.

When channel surfing through the OTA stations if I hit several channels up or down through a large block of sub channels. The 9.1 - 9.5 pbs subs, in the San Francisco Bay area, I many times get a black screen when it stops. Sometimes after quite some time, appr. 30 seconds, it will display a picture. Otherwise I have to manuall input a channel to again recieve a picture.

One unit did fail to record a scheduled show shortly after the upgrade but no other failures.

Overall this seems to be a stable release but will get a good workout this week.

Both TV's are connected via HDMI with native on.

·
Legend
228 Posts
Two units - two problems (one each).

One had a black-screen lock-up last evening - following several channel changes - not using the guide, but rather from direct keyboard input. RBR solved.

Second unit had a *similar* lock up this AM, although I can't say it was locked-up completely. I was on channel 2, and selected a different channel. No picture (although the guide info was displayed). After waiting about 10 sec, I reselected channel 2, and it appeared. Tries selecting another channel (different that first time) and still no picture. Went back to 2 w/no problem.

At that point, RBR.

Just some more data points ...

·
Hall Of Fame
4,133 Posts
JayAtIU said:
Hey all; long time reader, first time... Anyway, I got my HR20 box a few weeks ago, and have really enjoyed it. The only thing is that my TV (a JVC 34WP84) only has DVI in (HDCP compatible), so I tried running an HDMI to DVI cable from the HR20 to the TV.

The problem is that the picture has a washed out, pinkish tint to it, and no amount of reboots, power-cycling, resolution changing, etc... has corrected the issue. The best way that I can describe it is that it is like you're looking at the picture on the TV through a red/pink piece of glass, or wearing the red lens of a 3D goggle.

I am away from home till Wednesday, so I'll post pics when I return. I've been using the component outs from the HR20 to my TV, but I'd prefer to use the HDMI to DVI, as I was using the two sets of component inputs for other stuff. I have tried a couple different brands and sets of HDMI to DVI cables, with no difference in outcome.

I am running 0x10b, and have noticed the same pinkish tinting on 10b, 108, and FA software versions.

Thanks.

Jay
Jay, Color tints are sometimes indicative of a bad cable or connector. Inspect the plugs and connectors on both ends. It could also mean that your particular HR20 has a bad output driver, solder conection ,etc and needs to be replaced. If the cables and connectors look good have DTV replace the box.

azarby

·
Hall Of Fame
4,133 Posts
Earl,

I have two HR20s. One of the HR20s is connected via HDMI to a 32" Toshiba LCD. The other HR20 is connected to a Dtrovision HDMI Link x4 switch to a Panasonic 50" Plasma. The system on the Toshiba works perfectly I see all screens form power up or RBR. The system on the switch to the Panasonic has one small problem. When doing an RBR, the screen is blank until the acquiring satellite screen pops up. All other times it works ok. This not much of a problem, but when forcing downloads, I have to guess when the first welcome screen appears to input the 02468 SW force. I have not had a chance to try the second box directly to the plasma without the switch as my cables would need to be re-routed, but I will give it a try if I have a chance. System is working fine, so I don't want to do an RBR unless necessary.

azarby

·
Legend
155 Posts
Perhaps it would help us to know exactly what HDMI issues were fixed...I think D*TV really needs to be more specific in their release notes. I don't mind being a beta customer if they will share more detail in what they are fixing. The current "Hey here is a new release do you still see problems" is not being respectful to those of us who really are trying to help D*TV to get this box working well.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There are not "exact" HDMI fixes... these are more compatibility fixes, more then any specific feature of HDMI.

So you are not going to see much "specifics" when it comes to that area.

So... to rephrase the original question.

1) Did anyone loose TV viewing with 0x10B and had to switch to Component?

The secondary one, is:
2) Did it fix HDMI for anyone?

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.