DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
deecee98 said:
forgive my newness to High Def - i need to get some HDMI cables & from this forum looks like monprice.com is a good place to go - HOWEVER, which cables ?22AWG, 24, 26, 28 or does it not matter, per se :confused:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&style=
The longer the run, the larger wire size you should use (22 is larger than 28). Since 22 is not that big in the first place, I might tend toward that. You didn't say how long your runs were going to be. If the cost differences are minimal, then get the ones with the largest wires, assuming they are the same in all other respects.

·
AllStar
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PoitNarf said:
Go with one of the cheaper ones, it will work just fine.
thanks my runs are anywhere from 3 to 10 feet

had bought an HDMI cable on ebay & it was junk, hooked it up to my 62 inch toshiba DLP & got electrical "interference" on the set.....bought an HDMI cable from RadioShack & it worked perfectly - just big $$$ for a 6 foot cable ($50)

·
Mentor
32 Posts
What you should really do is go and buy the most expensive monster HDMI cable avaiable. All of the expensive (actually inexpensive to build) shielding and the 8 gauge cable (which you could additionally as jumper cables if your car battery dies) really clean up the DIGITAL signal.:hurah:

Incase you haven't noticed, I am being exteremly sarcastic. Sorry to get on the soapbox, a digital signal is either their or it isn't. The extreme shielding and higher gauge wire is useless....unless you are talking about runs greater than 100 feet. And even, I doubt it would make a great deal of difference with a digital signal.

·
Legend
152 Posts
I have heard mention of customers getting HDMI cables provided upon request if they have an HD receiver installed and an HDMI compatible TV. Stay tuned for further developements.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
66 Posts
rutlean said:
Sorry to get on the soapbox, a digital signal is either there or it isn't.
Wish this was true - my job certainly would be alot easier.

I do agree with getting a lower priced cable - if it works well stay with it. Don't buy the most expensive and expect it to perform differently as far a PQ.

·
Banned
686 Posts
I got the MONSTER CABLE 3-foot cable, it was $260, but totally worth it because the individually insulated high-speed optimized digital conductors are 100% rubidium-free.

The Picture Quality is awesome, I have noticed that with the MONSTER CABLE the reds are much crisper than with the plain-old $8 cable.

·
Cool Member
23 Posts
pcates said:
Wish this was true - my job certainly would be alot easier.

I do agree with getting a lower priced cable - if it works well stay with it. Don't buy the most expensive and expect it to perform differently as far a PQ.
Just putting in my 2 cents, digital signal does not mean just all or nothing. I think we've all seen D* signals pixilate during storms (if you haven't you are one lucky sob :D ). That is the result of, in a most basic sense, bits getting lost from the data stream. As long as all the bits get from point a to point b the picture/sound/etc will be exactly the same.

The question is does more expensive cable make that trip safer? Does a first class ticket make air travel safer? The answer to both of course is, no not really. On really long runs, really long, some of the digital bits are more likely to get lost. Unless you are running an HDMI cable from one end of your house to the other, go with the cheap stuff and save the $$.

·
97% Complete
1,283 Posts
matto said:
I got the MONSTER CABLE 3-foot cable, it was $260, but totally worth it because the individually insulated high-speed optimized digital conductors are 100% rubidium-free.

The Picture Quality is awesome, I have noticed that with the MONSTER CABLE the reds are much crisper than with the plain-old $8 cable.
If I spent $260 on a $20 cable, I would see a LOT of RED!! :rolleyes:

·
DBSTalk Club Member
179 Posts
I researched this quite a bit before I bought my last cable. The opinion of the *experts* seems to be that unless you have a very long cable run or the chance of damage to the wire (I shudder to think what that would be), the cheapo cables work just fine. I wish I remembered where I saw it but I stumbled on a site of (alleged) engineers that talked about a lot of stuff that was way over my head.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.