DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· AllStar
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is probably off topic but it's for my HR20. I'm currently using the HDMI cable that came with my Samsung HD TV. My question is it worth buying a new HDMI cable and is the $100 Monster cables worth it?

Thank you.

· RBR Hitit tillit bricksit
266 Posts
bluesfan said:
I know this is probably off topic but it's for my HR20. I'm currently using the HDMI cable that came with my Samsung HD TV. My question is it worth buying a new HDMI cable and is the $100 Monster cables worth it?

Thank you.
If your HDMI cable works, it is not worth changing. It is a digital signal so if it works, it is good enough.

Monoprice.com has super great cables/prices and fast shipping. Use them exclusively for cables. Others are way overpriced.

· Icon
968 Posts
i've always had good luck with this guy for cables..... i have bought a few of his optical audio cables too and they are great. i refuse to buy anything made by Monster.... its one of the biggest scams out there.

www.stsi.com

· Passed away April 24, 2010
608 Posts
bluesfan said:

Thank you.
A more expensive HDMI cable may have better shielding and better interconnects, but unless you are noticing a problem it is all "ones" and "zeros".

· Registered
5,952 Posts
bluesfan said:

Thank you.
monoprice cables work very well and the price is right

(monoprice.com)

· Registered
4,880 Posts
petergaryr said:
A more expensive HDMI cable may have better shielding and better interconnects, but unless you are noticing a problem it is all "ones" and "zeros".
Fry: Bender, what is it?
Bender: Whoa, what an awful dream! Ones and zeros everywhere! [shudders] And I thought I saw a two.
Fry: It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two.

:D

· Legend
205 Posts
bluesfan said:

Thank you.
bluesfan; what model Samsung do have ??? any audio problems thru the TV while watching on the HR-20 ?? I just ordered HDMI cables from Samsung, for 2 reasons.

1.- They were less expensive than the ones I`m now using from Best Buy

2. - Also I get no sound from the TV after about 15-20 mins., I then have to use the a/v receiver after that if I want to hear anything. I know there is a possible conflict with HR20 and Samsung while using a HDMI hookup so I was hoping possibly using a Sammy cable may help out with the problem. If not I save about $60 by switching. I did order from monoprice but the HDMI cable I got from there was bad so made a desperation run to B.B. for a HDMI but inherited the audio problem anyway .At least this way it is a little cheaper while dealing with it.

· AllStar
88 Posts
RAM Electronics make great cables for about $30.00. Monster is way overpriced and you pay for the fancy packaging. I sometimes feel sorry for shoppers at Best Buy and Circuit City being suckered into buying monster cables. Sometimes I want to speak up and save them but I just shake my head and stay out of it.

· Godfather
314 Posts
I go to Wal-Mart and get the cheapest ones they have... they work great. If you can wait til they ship, you can get much better deals online.

· Charter Gold Club Member
22,099 Posts
The "monster" in Monster cables refers to the retail mark-up. The cost of
any cable of more than a $10-$25 price-point is mostly marketing hype.

· AllStar
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NKy.Yall,

I have a Samsung HL-S6187W 61" 1080p DLP HDTV that I purchased from Amazon great TV. I've had the same problem as most with the inconsistency of HD broadcasts some HD stations look great some days and other days the same station doesn't look as good.

· Founder
17,247 Posts
It depends on your setup. I tried "cheap" cables and they ended up not working very well. I had a lot of dropouts.

I purchased a more expensive (not Monster) cable and works MUCH better with no problems at all.

As others have said, try the cheap cables first but keep a close eye on how it functions in your system. Monster cables are overpriced. You can get good cables through excellent vendors on E-Bay.

· Icon
765 Posts
Tmax88 said:
RAM Electronics make great cables for about $30.00. Monster is way overpriced and you pay for the fancy packaging. I sometimes feel sorry for shoppers at Best Buy and Circuit City being suckered into buying monster cables. Sometimes I want to speak up and save them but I just shake my head and stay out of it.
I agree here. I bought an HDMI cable from RAM, talked to the owner briefly also. He has a button right on top of this page too, so is in some way supporting the forum, buying advertising I ugess. I am very happy with my cable bought from him. Used it to boost my DVD up to 1080, looks awesome.

· Mentor
42 Posts
HELP,
I am currently using component cables but I am looking to utilize my HDMI connectioin on the HR20.
My Sony (KP65WV700) only has DVI.
I have been looking for a DVI-D Dual Link to HDMI cable but have yet to find one.
Does anyone know if they even make Dual link DVI to HDMI cables or do I need to just buy a single link??

· Godfather
471 Posts
B.A.T.S said:
HELP,
I am currently using component cables but I am looking to utilize my HDMI connectioin on the HR20.
My Sony (KP65WV700) only has DVI.
I have been looking for a DVI-D Dual Link to HDMI cable but have yet to find one.
Does anyone know if they even make Dual link DVI to HDMI cables or do I need to just buy a single link??
Click on the Blue Jeans Cable link above. :)

· Icon
2,282 Posts
To second or third, or fourth others. Monoprice is great. I bought their cheapest cables (everything from HDMI, to DVI-HDMI to digital sound cables) and they ALL work without a flaw. And you can see that they are made well. And they SHIP FAST!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.