DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had the HDMI connector on the back of their HR20 get "flaky"? I recently moved my unit into a new entertainment center and after hooking it up was recentering the box and the picture went out... after messing around with it I realized that just by wiggling the HDMI cable right at the back of the unit I could make the picture come and go - in fact it is a very small window as to when it works. I never noticed this problem before. Do you think the connector in the box is bad or could it be my cable? I don't have another HDMI component to test the cable on - but it is a "higher quality" cable so I am pretty doubtful that would be the problem.

· Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
Swap the cable end-to-end and see if the problem follows the cable end, or stays at the HR20.

· AllStar
92 Posts
I've seen this happen to me on more than one occasion when I set up my hr20 and moved things around in my entertainment center.
I use the Monoprice HDMI cables and have had to move the cable behind the hr20 downward to make it connect properly.
Once I move this downward I never have a handshake problem. I appears that the HDMI receiver on the hr20 is not as deep as on other components. I’ve looked at other components like monitors, DVD players and their HDMI receiver connections seat deeper then on an hr20.

· Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NVTanner said:
I've seen this happen to me on more than one occasion when I set up my hr20 and moved things around in my entertainment center.
I use the Monoprice HDMI cables and have had to move the cable behind the hr20 downward to make it connect properly.
Once I move this downward I never have a handshake problem. I appears that the HDMI receiver on the hr20 is not as deep as on other components. I've looked at other components like monitors, DVD players and their HDMI receiver connections seat deeper then on an hr20.
This is what I noticed as well - my Pioneer plasma has a much deeper "socket" for the HDMI connector. I guess I don't know if I should get a new box or just live with it - mine even goes out if you move it side to side.

· AllStar
92 Posts
Same here, move it a little and the picture blacks out. Of all the other HDMI connections I have on my setup (5 of 6) they don't either move side to side or up and down like they do on the HR20.
Be very carefull with cable movement and the HR20 or you'll lose your handshake!

· Godfather
398 Posts
Monoprice sells an "HDMI port saver" cord. Whats nice about it is that the ends seem a little tighter when you plug them in so they are less prone to movement issues. I used one in back of my Olevia TV because the 24awg HDMI cable was just too thick to allow the TV to pull out from the wall mount.

Ive also seen funky handshake issues, but not just with the HR20. My upconverting DVD player does the same thing, and in my case its something with the TV (turning the TV off then back on again it goes away).

-Chris

· Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess what I am reading would make me think that I shouldn't bother trying to get a new box as this seems to be pretty common? Is that what you all would think??

· Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NVTanner said:
Same here, move it a little and the picture blacks out. Of all the other HDMI connections I have on my setup (5 of 6) they don't either move side to side or up and down like they do on the HR20.
Be very carefull with cable movement and the HR20 or you'll lose your handshake!
Mine takes VERY little movement to lose the connection - is that how you would describe yours as well?

· Godfather
257 Posts
mpiscitello said:
Mine takes VERY little movement to lose the connection - is that how you would describe yours as well?
You bet, for one of my HR20s.

One of my HR20s is used with a Monster Cable, one isn't. The one that isn't needs to have the cable backed out slightly and gently mushed side2side, and a little up.down before it passes the signal. I'm going to try a Monster Cable later today on the problem unit, then try the port saver pigtail if that doesn't work.

· AllStar
92 Posts
mpiscitello said:
Yup, I mean if I reach behind to unplug the SATA connection I may see some flickering or lose handshaking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.