DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Legend
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just mucking around and connected HR23 via HDMI to HDMI-Displayport adapter. Displayport is on my Eizo screen (professional graphics grade reference monitor).

No dice. Curious is anybody running a sucessful configuration similar to above

· Mr. FixAnything
27,982 Posts
You can't.

Need special (expensive) adapter, actually converter.

My, from StarTech.com (and perhaps your) working only as part of a path: video card with Display Port output connected to a monitor with HDMI input.

· Broadcast Engineer
4,146 Posts
Probably a matter of them only being partially compatible. You can get HDMI out of DP if it is dual mode (look for a "DP++" logo) using a passive adapter (which voltage-drops the voltages to the right levels), but I doubt you could get DP from an HDMI source easily, because I think DP has 20 pins vs. 19 for HDMI and you can't passively create a higher voltage, only a lower one. So maybe your adapter works, but only if turned around, and going the other way (to HDMI rather than from it).

As P says, going the direction you are attempting (HDMI to DP) probably takes an active adapter at least, and even that is doubtful as it would also have to find a way to do it with one fewer pin. Since DP and HDMI are both digital I also would not think you need a converter unless you are going from DP to an analog destination such as VGA. I guess if the protocols were different enough, but I think they are similar pretty similar; the miniDP connector is exactly the same as Thunderbolt, and I use a $5 miniDP adapter from monoprice.com to connect a HDMI monitor from the TBolt connector on my Mac Book Air. Cheap and effective. But again, that is TO HDMI, not FROM HDMI.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.