DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Legend
109 Posts
My installer gave me an HDMI cable when I mentioned that I would like to hook up the HR-20 via HDMI. It seems that this is a 'your mileage may vary' situation with particular installers.

I watched the training video prior to my install so I knew to ask for one for free. I would suggest you call DirecTv and tell them your story. In my opinion you are entitled to a "refund" of some sort (i.e., programming credits)

·
Hall Of Fame
2,019 Posts
Damn, I paid $17 for one from monoprice. At least I didn't pay $100 for the Monster one :)

And come to think of it, I paid $6 for a component cable for my DVD player and that came with the HR20, so I could have used the free component for my DVD player and tried to get a free HDMI from the installer. That would have saved me $30. Damn :(

·
Godfather
415 Posts
bonscott87 said:
HDMI is not required at all. And yes, they are supposed to provide one at no charge should you need one.
If you watch the training video, they state multiple times that if the TV has an HDMI connection, then the installer HAS to connect the HR20 via HDMI.

·
Icon
832 Posts
Guess if it's mandatory then I'll just wait until the installer is gone and switch back to component. Why component? I run my DVD and D* through my receiver to my Sony SXRD and the receiver doesn't have HDMI so I use Monster component cables between all. Unfortunately the receiver is just 18 months old and, other than lacking the HDMI connections, it's super. Wife is not happy about the number of remotes I have now and she's quite happy just to be able to switch the receiver from DVD to D* and vice versa without messing with the TV. She's pretty good about my "toys" but I have to keep it so she'll use it and not freak out when I want to upgrade stuff. And, before somebody asks, I've experimented with component and HDMI directly to the TV, bypassing the receiver, and see no appreciable difference between those two connections/connectors.

·
AllStar
88 Posts
The HR-20 passes 720p and 1080i via component and HDMI. With most receivers you'll have to use HDMI to get it to scale to 720p & 1080i. I'm using component bcos I can see no difference in the picture quality and I use my HDMI input for my upscaling DVD player.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
litzdog911 said:
Installers are supposed to provide free HDMI cables if your setup needs one.
Was told by CSR rep today that HDMI arent provided for free and that install for OTA will be extra. Need to call back and get a better rep to get my money back for cables and free install of OTA line so once enabled will be ready

·
AllStar
57 Posts
crap, should have gotten my free hdmi!

not like I would have used it though. Neither my dvd player nor my A/V box supports HDMi, but my tv does, so I guess that entitles me to a free one. But eh, too late now.

p.s. Why do people buy monster cables? They arn't that great! There are guides online about how to make cables that are BETTER than monster cables in less than 30 minutes with like 1/8th the price.

Now that is a cable.

·
Legend
221 Posts
No, D* does not put HDMI cables in box.

·
Cool Member
10 Posts
I sent an email to D*. I told them that my installer did not use an HDMI cable and my TV can use one. I said that I heard on this forum that it was required. Their response was that it does not come with the receiver and that I need to buy my own if I want one.

I'm not doubting what was said in the training video, but they're definately not backing it up now.

If it really was mandatory, they'd be scrambling to get one out to me or to have an installer come by.

·
AllStar
59 Posts
litzdog911 said:
Installers are supposed to provide free HDMI cables if your setup needs one.
My installer didn't even know what HDMI was. I had to supply my own cable and show him where to plug it in!

I was surprised the installer didn't know what HDMI was. It would of been nice to get a free cable too.

·
Cool Member
10 Posts
No, I'd never make that assumption.
I'd be happy to cite whatever documentation there is that they have to give me one. "I read it on DBS Talk that you were supposed to" isn't really having much of an impact. :)

·
Mentor
46 Posts
I believe there were HDMI cables in my box... I didnt use them but they were there. The installer left the boxes behind along with both my HR10-250's.

·
Godfather
260 Posts
Today the installer hooked it up composite, I had an HDMI cable that was too short after moving my DVD player so I used it on the HR20. Now I need to get a longer one for the DVD player, he said they did not supply them with the HR20.

·
Legend
109 Posts
loot87 said:
No, I'd never make that assumption.
I'd be happy to cite whatever documentation there is that they have to give me one. "I read it on DBS Talk that you were supposed to" isn't really having much of an impact. :)
Directv's own installation training video for the HR20 states that if the customer's TV has an HDMI connection then the installer MUST hook up the HR20 to the TV via an HDMI cable provided by the installer.

You can record the HR20 installation video on [i believe] channel 578.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.