DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Cool Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a lovely Sharp LC-32D50U with HDMI inputs (two, one with optional analog audio).

I then went and got a 30' HMDI-HDMI cable ($100) to connect to my (on the other side of the room) 622. Picture is perfect, lovely to have HD after months of watching the downconverted SD output.

BUT no audio. The TV says it's not getting audio on the HDMI.

I understand there are some "issues" with the HDMI on the 622 (Why they don't put an asterix saying "*may not work" next to the HDMI on the specs is beyond me) but is there possibly something I am missing in the menues, settups, etc on either the 622 or the TV maybe? I hope.

I have tried every setting under Dolby Digital, can't see anything else I might have to switch to put the audio where it's supposed to be.

The TV has a couple of options, tried them all. Done multiple reboots, single/dual mode, reconnecting cables etc.

Am I missing something?

SW: L365RBDD-N (BS: 1710RBDD)

· Hall Of Fame
1,891 Posts
The 622 does not route audio via HDMI. The software fix for this is tentatively scheduled for a February release (don't hold your breath).

If you're not routing audio to a separate audio system, the analog audio should be just fine. I have to route my audio via optical to my AV receiver so it's no big deal for me.

Just another note - don't buy cables form the stores. I bought a nice HDMI cable from monoprice.com for about $9, $12 after shipping. Works fine.

· Hall Of Fame
1,203 Posts
dmspen said:
The 622 does not route audio via HDMI. The software fix for this is tentatively scheduled for a February release (don't hold your breath).

If you're not routing audio to a separate audio system, the analog audio should be just fine. I have to route my audio via optical to my AV receiver so it's no big deal for me.

Just another note - don't buy cables form the stores. I bought a nice HDMI cable from monoprice.com for about $9, $12 after shipping. Works fine.
Yes it does have audio but only 2 channel audio. I get audio from my HDMI cable from the 622 to the TV all the time.

· Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
Like lujan, I get my audio via the HDMI cable. For me, it is ALMOST all the time. Eventhough the cable is HDMI at both ends, there were times when my receiver would "negotiate DVI" instead of HDMI with the TV and produce the same video picture, but no audio. It happens that my TV puts up its own message when DVI is negotiated about where to connect the necessary Audio RCA jacks (Component 3 I think) and that is the only indication I get that the connection was DVI (and hence no audio) instead of HDMI. I presently support my HDMI connector going into the receiver (a 942) with a rubber hose and always get HDMI negotiated (and audio with it). I doubt sgiwiz has my problem with his HDMI connector, but lots of things could cause the 622 to THINK the connection was DVI instead of HDMI. Any given TV model might have a similar problem / compatibility issue. It might be hard to determine whether a DVI or HDMI connection did get established (other than having no audio is characteristic of a DVI connection).

If you can't deterimine that it established HDMI instead of DVI, you might try (borrow?) a short HDMI-HDMI cable and move the receiver close just to make sure it isn't the cable or length getting in the way.

· Cool Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dmspen said:
Actually, it randomly started working this morning. So I guess it does work. I'm not touching this thing ever again.

dmspen said:
If you got a 30 foot HDMI cable for $9, let me know where. 'cos that's how far my cable run is.

Thanks for the advice though, if it wasn't so far I would have resorted to analog pix and audio last night. Glad I didn't.

· Cool Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CABill said:
Any given TV model might have a similar problem / compatibility issue. It might be hard to determine whether a DVI or HDMI connection did get established (other than having no audio is characteristic of a DVI connection).
Thanks for that. I think that must have been what was happening. It's a mystery though, since I cannot/willnot try and replicate the issue now it's working fine.

I have a feeling the 622 just needed the TV to be shut down, and the 622 to be shut down, and then everything powered back up before it figured out what to send.

Thing is... the TV still lists "AUDIO: - " blank where there should be some indication of the format being received. I am not feeding any other audio to the TV via any other cables, so it must be getting the signal through HDMI now. Very odd. But I'm happy for now.

Thanks.

Now if I can just get these three stuck pixels on my LCD to go away...

Toby.

· Cool Member
29 Posts
I sometimes lose audio but turning the tv off and then on solves the problem. I am sure it is a handshake problem....the dvr needs to be on first so the tv sees its extended hand

sgiwiz said:
Thanks for that. I think that must have been what was happening. It's a mystery though, since I cannot/willnot try and replicate the issue now it's working fine.

I have a feeling the 622 just needed the TV to be shut down, and the 622 to be shut down, and then everything powered back up before it figured out what to send.

Thing is... the TV still lists "AUDIO: - " blank where there should be some indication of the format being received. I am not feeding any other audio to the TV via any other cables, so it must be getting the signal through HDMI now. Very odd. But I'm happy for now.

Thanks.

Now if I can just get these three stuck pixels on my LCD to go away...

Toby.

· Cool Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
newz54 said:
I sometimes lose audio but turning the tv off and then on solves the problem. I am sure it is a handshake problem....the dvr needs to be on first so the tv sees its extended hand
Well, it seems to have gone away again. When I switched to the HDMI input that my 622 is on, no audio. Rebooted the 622, powered down the TV, unplugged and replugged the HDMI nothing.

Finally, the only thing that fixed it was switching to the second input on the TV. Don't know now if it's a Sharp issue of a Dishue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.