DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to the forum,

I have a question regarding the hdmi connection with HR10-250. I am in the market for a new HDTV television. My question, is the hdmi that much better than the standard component hook-up (That is what I have now)? And if so, does the monster cable (125.00) provide that much better of a picture vs the HDMI cable that comes with the HR10-250?

Sorry if these are studip questions.

Thanks

·
Godfather
253 Posts
candler8,
IMHO the "Monster $125.00" would be a waste..... I'd suggest HDMI cables from Walmart ~$30-40. In a digital world HDMI, I doubt there would be any visible difference. As far as HDMI vs Component not much difference either. The HDMI will provide audio and video in one cable. And for my 2cents on HDTVs, I believe Samsung DLPs are great.

·
Icon
808 Posts
I'd suggest HDMI cables from Walmart ~$30-40. In a digital world HDMI, I doubt there would be any visible difference.
Perhaps, but probably only if you bought the HDTV from Walmart as well. :rolleyes:

Cheap cables will give you poor results as a rule. High-priced esoteric cables won't necessarily buy you the Holy Grail either. Monster Cables are generally overpriced and overhyped for what you get. OEM cables are usually thrown in the box as an afterthought and should be considered throwaway items (literally). You can buy some excellent quality HDMI cables for well under $100 and probably much less. There are some good cable vendors listed over at the AVS Forums that sell quality products at reasonable prices.

Keep in mind how much you invested in your HDTV and decide if you'd rather save a few bucks and buy cheap cables and then consider the weakest link theory. There's not much point in buying a great TV if the cables won't give you the best signal. OTOH, don't give into the marketing ploys of high-end cable manufacturers. IMHO, good quality conductors, excellent shielding, and quality insulating and dielectric materials will give you great results. The rest is mostly hype aimed at your insecurity in the hopes of prying a few extra bucks out of your wallet. The best advice I can give you is to try various brands of cables and see if you can tell the difference.

There is little or no discernible difference between the picture quality viewed from HDMI or component outputs. It would depend mostly on how your monitor processes the two inputs.

·
Legend
182 Posts
I honestly wouldn't waste the money on an HDMI cable that costs $125.00, if you actually but a new HR10, it should come with an HDMI cable, HDMI to DVI cable, and component cables. The HDMI is not going to necessarily give you a better picture...you would have to be a computer to tell the difference. The only good thing, as others have listed above is the convenience of using one cable...not to mention, it's optical so it will support dolby 5.1

but, you can get the same out of component cables and an optical audio cable...
don't waste the money on the HDMI, it's not worth it...

·
AllStar
59 Posts
I agree that having high quality cables are important when dealing with component and other analog signals, but it's not as important with digital signals. The reason is that digital signals are either there or they're not. You either will have a good picture or you won't have a picture at all. Analog signals are different because the picture quality is relative to the signal strength and interference.

I bet you won't be able to tell any difference between a $100 HDMI Monster cable and a $9.99 HDMI cable available from an online retailer.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
captain_video said:
Perhaps, but probably only if you bought the HDTV from Walmart as well. :rolleyes:
Cheap cables will give you poor results as a rule. High-priced esoteric cables won't necessarily buy you the Holy Grail either. Monster Cables are generally overpriced and overhyped for what you get. OEM cables are usually thrown in the box as an afterthought and should be considered throwaway items (literally). You can buy some excellent quality HDMI cables for well under $100 and probably much less. There are some good cable vendors listed over at the AVS Forums that sell quality products at reasonable prices.
The HDMI cable at Wal-Mart is a Phillips; as far as I know, a good cable.

According to everything else I have read, HDMI can be run for reasonably short lengths on just about any cable--say, up to 12 or 15 feet. Component cable is much more sensitive to cable quality.

Although I bought my HDTVs at CC, what is wrong with the Sony, Samsung, or Panasonic HDTVs that Wal-Mart sells? What difference does it make where you buy a leading brand?

·
Icon
808 Posts
Sorry, but since I don't normally do my shopping for high end A/V gear at WalMart I'm a bit remiss on the brands they carry. While WalMart may carry leading brands, they tend to carry the low end to mid-priced models of the product lines offered by each brand. You won't find anything even remotely high end at a WalMart, including cables. For the most part, unless you have discerning eyes and ears, you won't notice the difference between a high end cable and a mediocre one.

Unless you know what to look and listen for, most any cable will yield similar results. OTOH, you also need associated equipment of the highest quality to provide the cleanest signal possible. Theoretically, if you use high end cables on average gear then you could actually make the system sound or look worse since you will no longer be masking their flaws. Conversely, you wouldn't consider using WalMart cables on a home theater system costing thousands of dollars since they would end up being the weakest link in the signal chain.

Buy cables that match the performance of the rest of your hardware. If you bought the TV at WalMart then the cables they sell would be a decent match for your system. If you bought your system at a home theater salon or other high end dealer we wouldn't even be having this conversation.;)

·
EOE
542 Posts
An HDMI cable connection offers the bonus of not having to hassle over aspect ratios (stretch, fill, zoom, etc.) the sets should automatically "do the right thing".

I've had wonderful performance from cables from Pacific Custom Cables (a 10 meter HDMI is under $100).... and have used runs up to 15 meters with no problems.

Just my $0.02

Harry

·
Icon
808 Posts
An HDMI cable connection offers the bonus of not having to hassle over aspect ratios (stretch, fill, zoom, etc.) the sets should automatically "do the right thing".
That will depend entirely on how your TV set handles the signal. I'm constantly having to change the aspect ratio and zoom between different types of program material. My HDTivos are set to display 16:9 for the output to the TV. Most all HD programming will adhere to this format but SD programming will look stretched if I don't change the TV to 4:3, even though the source channel it was recorded from is a local OTA digital channel.

·
AllStar
59 Posts
untouchable said:
I honestly wouldn't waste the money on an HDMI cable that costs $125.00, if you actually but a new HR10, it should come with an HDMI cable, HDMI to DVI cable, and component cables. The HDMI is not going to necessarily give you a better picture...you would have to be a computer to tell the difference. The only good thing, as others have listed above is the convenience of using one cable...not to mention, it's optical so it will support dolby 5.1

but, you can get the same out of component cables and an optical audio cable...
don't waste the money on the HDMI, it's not worth it...
HDMI is better (IMO) because HDMI is digital and component is analog. I still use optical for audio though.

·
Legend
201 Posts
captain_video said:
You may want to read this article and rethink your position:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/dvihdmicomponent.htm
IMO, the biggest advantage of HDMI cables is that they give you a "one cable" solution that carries both video and audio.

I've purchased several cables from monoprice and have been very pleased with their performance. The $125 Monster cables are, IMHO, a waste of $$$.

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
tds4182 said:
IMO, the biggest advantage of HDMI cables is that they give you a "one cable" solution that carries both video and audio.

I've purchased several cables from monoprice and have been very pleased with their performance. The $125 Monster cables are, IMHO, a waste of $$$.
Agree on both counts.

HDMI is a nice one-cable solution for applications where sound from the TV itself is all that's needed. We have one of our plasmas connected that way. As far as picture quality goes, I really can't tell any difference between component and HDMI on any of our televisions.

Monoprice sells quality cables at great prices.

·
Icon
808 Posts
Monster Cables are a waste of money at any price, IMHO. You can spend far less for cables of equal or better quality. You're just buying a brand name when you buy Monster (and one that's been hyped beyond reality, sort of like Bose). You can also spend mucho bucks for super quality cables but the average consumer would never see any improvement, however miniscule it may be, so for them making such a purchase would be a complete waste of money.

·
Icon
808 Posts
It will come with all cables if it's a new unit. If not, them someone is ripping you off. DTV installers have been known to pilfer any cables they don't use to hook up a new unit so it's always wise to keep an eye on them.;)

·
AllStar
59 Posts
captain_video said:
You may want to read this article and rethink your position:

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/dvihdmicomponent.htm
I read this and their explanation that converting digital->analog->digital may yield better picture quality than straight digital to digital just defies reason. I understand things are scaled and converted, but the less conversions is generally better. Hence reducing the step of digital->analog->digital would be beneficial.

It's very likely that most people will not be able to tell any difference because there is a lot more at play than just the cable, you have the source, receiver, TV, and environment (lighting, calibration, etc).

I prefer HDMI because it's only 1 connection and it's digital. In the end it's about what you like that matters most.

·
Icon
761 Posts
Captain, some of your comments here seem very unlike you.

Weakest link theory? With an analog cable you can a/b a cheap cable and good cable and see a night and day difference, but you'll have to show me some evidence that a cheap HDMI cable is in someway inferior to an expensive one before I'll spend money on the assumption. If I can't tell the difference in picture by looking (as long as the cable doesn't break if you look at it wrong) then I won't spend a dime more. Weakest link theort doesn't apply if the price of the cable doesn't actually effect the strength of the link. Does it?

And Monster cables not good at ANY price? That seems a bit over the top. By all indications Monster Cables are good. Way over priced, but good. In fact, those usually ARE the ones the a/b in the stores to show the night and day difference with the included-in-the-box cables.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.