Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Legend
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HDMI still is not working for me.

Setup is HR20 > Pioneer Elite 74VXTi > Pioneer 1030HD Plasma. I get HDMI video until after the "Step 1 : Checking Satellite Settings". Then nothing - blank. HDMI light is still on the receiver, but no resolution is being output by the HR20.

I have v OXFA of software, but it has never worked since I got the unit. It does work for Component/Optical.

I have tried the changing the resolution, unplug/plug the cable, etc. This works for my Toshiba HDA1 HD DVD player, which is super picky on HDMI (if the TV is turned off, it stops playing).

Earl and company, any ideas?

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
When you say you see nothing after "Step 1", it sounds like you're trying to activate HDMI during a reset. Is this correct?

You dont need to have HDMI hooked up until you're completely up and running using component or any other analog signal. Once its up and running with analog, power down the unit, connect the HDMI, and power back up.

Hopefully I'm understanding your problem correctly.

·
Icon
765 Posts
Canis Lupus said:
When you say you see nothing after "Step 1", it sounds like you're trying to activate HDMI during a reset. Is this correct?

You dont need to have HDMI hooked up until you're completely up and running using component or any other analog signal. Once its up and running with analog, power down the unit, connect the HDMI, and power back up.

Yes I add to that, my installer, who did seem like one of the pretty bright ones, told me that too. That it is wisest to not connect HDMI until after the setup is complete. So maybe that will 'get er done' for you. Good luck.

·
4 Posts
I just hooked up my new HR-20 today with my HDMI cable to my Sony Grand Wega and it works like a charm. HD in 1080i the way it is meant to be :D
First time I turned it on it downloaded the FA update and after that the sound didn't work until I rest the unit and than everything worked fine.
I did notice when I was in Discovery HD that when I paused the show and then went back a couple of minutes and started it up again the sound fluctuated in and out. When I switched channels and then back to DSC HD the sound was fine.
Is that a problem with the HDMI hookup or just another glitch of this very buggy unit?

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
I don't think your issue has to do specifically with HDMI, but by far the worst audio dropout channel for me is DSC-HD. I use optical out from the HR-20 to my a/v receiver though for audio. See if you notice this on DSC-HD: During promos/commercials for that channel, see if the audio ever drops out. My audio never does. However, see if it drops out during a program. For you, maybe try pausing during a promo and see if it drops out after you play it again. Then try the same with a program. My suspicion for my issue is that my receiver doesn't know how to deal with programs that have been "faked" to 5.1 .

·
Legend in his own mind...
324 Posts
If I remember, it's due to the fact that during setup, the HR20 only outputs 480i, which many displays do not support via HDMI. You have to get through the setup to get anything else.

·
Legend
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Canis Lupus said:

I am completely up and running with Component/Optical. This is the only way to see video after it boots up (past Step 1 : Searching for sat). HDMI will output a good signal until after this point.

At this point, I'm stuck with Component/Optical because, well, I like watching TV. I have no idea why after the Step 1 of boot up, the HDMI cuts off but it's done it since I got the until the first week it came out.

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
OK - again though, you're describing what HDMI is doing during bootup (like after a reset). If you're up and running with component, have you tried simply turning off the HR-20 and your TV, connecting the HDMI, then turning the HR-20 and TV back on?

I had the same problem with HDMI after a reset, but after I was up and running with component, I added back the HDMI. It's likely a hardware handshake issue on reboot for some users.

employee3 said:
I am completely up and running with Component/Optical. This is the only way to see video after it boots up (past Step 1 : Searching for sat). HDMI will output a good signal until after this point.

At this point, I'm stuck with Component/Optical because, well, I like watching TV. I have no idea why after the Step 1 of boot up, the HDMI cuts off but it's done it since I got the until the first week it came out.

·
7 Posts
what i have to do with my pioneer elite 1110hd is after step 1 when the screen goes blank is to change sources on my plasma. on the remote i select input 3 then input 1 (directv), I always have to do this to get my picture back. you might have to do more than once.

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
Seems like the same hardware handshake issue after a reset.

hidefguy said:
what i have to do with my pioneer elite 1110hd is after step 1 when the screen goes blank is to change sources on my plasma. on the remote i select input 3 then input 1 (directv), I always have to do this to get my picture back. you might have to do more than once.

·
Legend
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hidefguy said:
Tried that as well. One thing to remember is that this is going through the receiver. All my sources go HDMI to the plasma from the receiver (The Toshiba HDA1 is setup exactly as this one should be). On the receiver it has an HDMI light that blinks while it's doing the handshake and then solid when it locks. I get the solid light, but no audio or video.

Another note : this worked with my HR10-250.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
employee3 said:
Tried that as well. One thing to remember is that this is going through the receiver. All my sources go HDMI to the plasma from the receiver (The Toshiba HDA1 is setup exactly as this one should be). On the receiver it has an HDMI light that blinks while it's doing the handshake and then solid when it locks. I get the solid light, but no audio or video.

Another note : this worked with my HR10-250.
Unless I missed this in the previous posts, what happens if you bypass the receiver and connect the HR20 direectly to the TV via HDMI.

·
Legend
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HDTVsportsfan said:
Unless I missed this in the previous posts, what happens if you bypass the receiver and connect the HR20 direectly to the TV via HDMI.
Wouldn't matter. I don't have speakers hooked up to the plasma, I have them hooked up to the receiver. My point here is that the HDMI should be passing both audio and video (as my Toshiba does). If I have to hook up the HDMI directly to the plasma, it doesn't serve my purpose, nor does it work correctly.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
employee3 said:
Wouldn't matter. I don't have speakers hooked up to the plasma, I have them hooked up to the receiver. My point here is that the HDMI should be passing both audio and video (as my Toshiba does). If I have to hook up the HDMI directly to the plasma, it doesn't serve my purpose, nor does it work correctly.
What I'm trying to get at is bypassing the receiver so that you can determine if it's the HR20 HDMI port that may be causing your problem.

We're (you're) trying to get past a video problem first, right, then address the audio.

Again, I may be missing something here though.

·
Legend
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HDTVsportsfan said:
What I'm trying to get at is bypassing the receiver so that you can determine if it's the HR20 HDMI port that may be causing your problem.

We're (you) are trying to get past a video problem first, right, then address the audio.

Again, I may be missing something here though.
There is no doubt it's the HR20. My HR10 worked, my Toshiba HD-DVD works. The point is that the HDMI is supposed to be passing audio and video. That's what HDMI is made for, DVI and digital audio.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
employee3 said:
There is no doubt it's the HR20. My HR10 worked, my Toshiba HD-DVD works. The point is that the HDMI is supposed to be passing audio and video. That's what HDMI is made for, DVI and digital audio.
Well I was just wondering if the HR20 ever gets past "Step 1" directly connected to the TV via HDMI with nothing in the middle. If it doesn't, well obviously it's the HR20.
I don't know how much looking around you've done on this site, but I belive there is a thread that Earl wants posted to about TV's w/ HDMI issues and the HR20. Maybe you can look thru that.

·
Legend in his own mind...
324 Posts
employee3 said:
We all agree it "should" be doing that, but while you're saying it's the HR20 (because the HR10 worked), it may be the HR20 works directly with the panel, but doesn't negotiate with the receiver.

Or it could be that the HDMI port on your particular unit doesn't work at all.

By connecting the HR20 directly to the panel, you could determine if it's simply not working, or just not negotiating with the receiver. Don't forget, HDMI is a spec that is still in it's infancy. It's not bulletproof, and there are many many well-documented incompatibilities.

There's "should", and there's "does". If you report that there's a proven incompatibility with your receiver, they might be able to fix it via software.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Meklos said:
.....it may be the HR20 works directly with the panel, but doesn't negotiate with the receiver.

By connecting the HR20 directly to the panel, you could determine if it's simply not working, or just not negotiating with the receiver.
Thanks, I thought I was missing something, not articulating myself properly, or going crazy. Either way, I gave up.

I hope the OP can fix his problem and posts back and lets us know what he does to fix his problem.

·
Legend
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Meklos said:
We all agree it "should" be doing that, but while you're saying it's the HR20 (because the HR10 worked), it may be the HR20 works directly with the panel, but doesn't negotiate with the receiver.

By connecting the HR20 directly to the panel, you could determine if it's simply not working, or just not negotiating with the receiver. Don't forget, HDMI is a spec that is still in it's infancy. It's not bulletproof, and there are many many well-documented incompatibilities.

There's "should", and there's "does". If you report that there's a proven incompatibility with your receiver, they might be able to fix it via software.
Well I pulled everything out to connect it directly to the 1130HD. Still no dice. Like I said previously, I get HDMI output (720p, which is what I normally output). Then when it gets passed the "Step 1 of 2 : Checking satellite settings, this may take a few minutes" it goes blank. I believe this is when it says "Step 1 of 2, Almost There..." I switched over to component and that's what I caught on the screen.

·
Legend
125 Posts
Sounds like its the HR20 if the HR10 was working well through HDMI.

I have a similar setup, my HR20 goes through my Pioneer Vsx-82tsx before it hits my TV.

The 74 doesnt have scaling right? I have my scaling off on the 82.

Your positive your TV can handle 480i over HDMI right? Well I guess it can if it works with the HR10

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.