DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Super Moderator
13,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be adding a Blu-Ray and need a switch. I'm looking at one what has 4 HDMI & 4 Digital Coax.

Anybody use a HDMI switch with HR2x's?

If so have you noticed any issues when switching between receivers?

Right now I use my Yamaha A/V receiver to switch between two HR21s and sometimes notice the audio takes a second to come back.

Has anyone found a switch that didn't play well with HR2xs?

Any info would be appreciated.

Mike

· Registered
8,671 Posts
don't have the one with the added audio but my gefen 4x1 has been flawless.. has the added benifit of IR control for my programmable remote too..

· Registered
16,423 Posts
I use the Octava HDMI switch that has 4 HDMI and 4 TOSLink or Coax audio inputs as well.

No real problems but sometimes when switching between inputs between HR2X's the screen flickers for a second if the resolution of the unit you are changing to is not the same as the one you are changing from. It's not a big deal though.

· AllStar
69 Posts

· Registered
16,423 Posts
marvod said:
I've been using a Monoprice switch for over a year and it has worked perfectly. IR remote as well. Everything programed into my Harmony 880. It does not come with Digital Coax but they might have one that does. They have several models.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=4088&seq=1&format=2
Monoprice doesn't have any that switch audio and video. There are really only 2 I've ever found that do this. The Octava that I have and another that is around $500.

· Registered
14,213 Posts

· Super Moderator
13,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Drew2k said:
This is the same switch I use. I've never needed separate audio feeds on the switch since I use the HDMI for audio...
My A/V receiver is only HDMI pass through. It needs a seperate audio input for the surround sound.

Good info...it seems the HR2's will work with most any switch.

Mike

· AllStar
69 Posts
MicroBeta said:
My A/V receiver is only HDMI pass through. It needs a seperate audio input for the surround sound.

Good info...it seems the HR2's will work with most any switch.

Mike
Sounds like its time to upgrade the receiver. :)

I'm looking at upgrading my Yamaha RX-V1 to the Onkyo RX905. 5x2 HDMI switching.

· AllStar
69 Posts
RunnerFL said:
You mean the Onkyo TX-NR905? It's 4x2 HDMI. I was looking at that too, gotta have THX here, but I don't have the spare $1300.
Duh, you are correct. TX-NR905.

I've been looking at to many numbers lately. I think it was the Sony that was 5x2. Thanks

· Hall Of Fame
2,136 Posts
MicroBeta said:
I'm going to be adding a Blu-Ray and need a switch. I'm looking at one what has 4 HDMI & 4 Digital Coax.

Right now I use my Yamaha A/V receiver to switch between two HR21s and sometimes notice the audio takes a second to come back.

Mike
I don't know how configurable your Yamaha receiver is but you may be able to do just an HDMI switch with out the separate audio switching. As long as you can assign hdmi to multiple different inputs and select a different audio input you should be able to set it up. You would need to change the input on both the receiver and the HDMI switch but assuming you have a decent universal remote it shouldn't be a problem.

· Godfather
367 Posts
I used a monoprice switch briefly, and it worked well with the HR20. It did not get along with my Toshiba HDA2 at all though. I have since changed it for an Oppo 3x1 switch that has worked flawlessly with all components.

· Registered
2,143 Posts
MicroBeta said:

Mike
I use the Octava 4x1 as well. works like a charm with the following:

HR20-700
HR21-100
TiVo Series 3 HD
RCA DVD/VCR Combo

I looked at others, but this was the only one that gave me both HDMI and optical which I needed for my Sony receiver.

· Legend
253 Posts
I've been using the XtremeMac HDMI switch (with remote) since testing UVerse last year, and have had no problems. Currently it switches between my HR20, AppleTV, and PS3. I have the audio going directly into my non-HDMI receiver. While it means I have to change both the HDMI switch input and the receiver input to use one of my devices, it was cheaper then buying a new receiver. Though those new Sony HDMI audio receivers are looking pretty tempting.

· UNIX
2,389 Posts
Just a couple of weeks ago I got the new Monoprice #4802 "True Matrix" 4x2 HDMI switch. It handles four inputs and switches them to either of two outputs.

It handles HDMI only (only has HDMI connectors - no Toslink or coax connectors), but does a great job with both the audio and video on the HDMI links.

I use it for inputs from an HR20-700, an HR21-700 and a Oppo DV-983H. Yes, an IR remote too.

For under $100, this is a great unit.

· Super Moderator
13,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
marvod said:
Sounds like its time to upgrade the receiver. :)

I'm looking at upgrading my Yamaha RX-V1 to the Onkyo RX905. 5x2 HDMI switching.
It is a new receiver. I got the Yamaha HTR-6130 for a good price and it did everything I needed....that is until I added a Blu-Ray and now I need more HDMI inputs...:grin:

PAJeep said:
I've been using one from HDVio with 4 hdmi and 4 optical without any issues. Works great with my Harmony 880 as well.
The HDVio seems to be the best choice for me.

It's also got a great price at HTDepot.

Thanks for all the input.

Has anyone had any problems using switches?

Mike

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.