DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Legend
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short Version
Will (should?) DirecTV HDMI output work for a Component projector with a converter box, or will HDCP cause the converter to not work?

Long Version
Due to a problem, I just replaced a 6+ year old 5.1 Onkyo (composite/component only) with a new model which has HDMI input... and one HDMI output... but the in-wall wiring to my projector is Component

I Googled to find a converter that did not have a "shifted picture" problem (which seems to be common with the less expensive models) and found one at B&H that creates a "true" picture conversion... and even went to chat to verify that B&H has not had picture shifting complaints (I have bought from B&H before, so will trust their tech person to tell me the truth)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=770115&is=REG&Q=&A=details

BUT... the unit does not support HDCP encryption

I do not have ANY of the added DirecTV movie channels (I have Netflix streaming video) so I do not know if any of the "regular" channels use HDCP encryption (I have the "choice" package)

So... any comments about running the DirecTV HDMI to my Onkyo SR313 for input switching and then from the Onkyo through the converter to the projector via Component?

· Legend
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I looked at Monoprice
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10114&cs_id=1011410&p_id=8125&seq=1&format=2

Review 10-27-12 by Bob mentions the "shifting" problem

Also review on 9-12-12 and 8-28-12 and 6-28-12 and I stopped looking at this one and continued my Google search until I found the KanexPro at B&H

So... do you know if HDMI for non-HBO (and similar movie channels) from DirecTV will "generally" work with a converter?

Or are "all" DirecTV channels locked up with HDCP encryption?

· Legend
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
>this can change at any time

Hmm... that is what I was afraid of... I may just have to buy a converter and do my own test... then report my results so others will know

ADDED... just received a follow up email from "chat guy" at B&H... they have one that is HDCP complaint... for $246
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...26_1T_FC_326_HDMI_YPbPr_Format_Converter.html

I think I know of a "low cost" converter I can borrow for a test, so may do that before I buy anything

· Legend
234 Posts
Just throwing an idea out there. What about using the sound system only for sound using optical cables and using an RCA switch to switch the video?

· Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
dielray said:
Just throwing an idea out there. What about using the sound system only for sound using optical cables and using an RCA switch to switch the video?
+1
I run my system with Component to TV and Optical to Yamaha.
Zero problems with HDMI and HDCP messages.

· Legend
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Back with an interim report

Was able to borrow a "no name" converter that was bought from Amazon

My limited test (not enough time to check ALL the channels I receive) indicates that using the Onkyo as a switch, with HDMI to the converter to send Component signal to the projector does work

Of course, the picture was not good from the cheap converter... not only was everything shifted left, there was additional "tearing" starting at the top right and extending left for as much as 1/3 of the screen

I ordered the Kanex from B&H and will come back with another report after it arrives

If DirecTV and/or the content providers ever add HDCP to the non-Premium channels, I have the option of the HDCP compliant model that B&H sells

· Legend
168 Posts
John,
You've got another option, though a bit pricey - HDMI over coax. There are several companies that now have HDMI over coax converters which allow you to send an HDMI signal using a coax line (of which you have three). I believe they are fully HDCP compliant so it would eliminate that issue. Here are a couple:

http://sewelldirect.com/HDMI-over-Coax-Extender-.asp?gclid=CKeh4--atLMCFUKd4Aod52gAHA

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-40574-Transmitter-Receiver/dp/B005SIMSAE

The other solution, which is even more expensive, is wireless HDMI which would allow you to bypass your in-wall wiring altogether.

Either of these would go on the output of your AVR which would provide for the HDMI switching.

· Legend
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Kanex at B&H has the same rating, albeit with fewer reviews, so I have high hopes

FussyBob... I have added the ViewHD VHD-H2YVs to my notes file... if the Kanex brand does not work as advertised, I will return it and order a ViewHD brand

RBTO... Thanks, but Coax won't work since the walls were closed up 6 years ago... and I do not care to get into wireless

I will come back with a report when the Kanex arrives

· Legend
369 Posts
"JohnTSmith" said:
RBTO... Thanks, but Coax won't work since the walls were closed up 6 years ago... and I do not care to get into wireless

I will come back with a report when the Kanex arrives
I believe he was saying that you already have 3 "coax" cables installed ready for use. Each of the component video lines you already have in place should be 75 ohm coax to handle the YCbCr component signals, so either one of the three can be utilized with that hdmi to coax converter.

· Legend
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
>already have 3 "coax" cables installed ready for use

Oh... OK... but more expensive than any of the other solutions

I will stick with the one I have on order (Kanex or ViewHD if Kanex does not work well... with final option of the TVOne box if HDCP encryption compliance is ever needed)

Thanks to everyone for the ideas... more information is always good... back to waiting for Kanex mode

· Legend
264 Posts
bpratt said:
I've been using the HDfury for a couple of years now and it is HDCP complient. A little high priced, but a good unit.
Yes, that is a great box, but as you stated much more costly than alternatives that do the same thing. The major plus for the HDfury is that it has upgradeable firmware in case the industry keeps changing HDCP formats. The HDfury was kicked out of the US sales channels, they now ship directly from Hong Kong.

Bob P.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.