DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an HDMI 2.0 on my 4K clients. Is it worth it going to 2.1 will i notice any difference since there not doing dolby vision yet.

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,579 Posts
On the color front, 2.1 supports BT.2020 and 16 bits per color. This is the same as HDMI 2.0a/b, and is what makes wide color gamut possible.
from Wiki
  • Note: While HDMI 2.1 did standardize transport of dynamic HDR metadata over HDMI, in actuality it only formalized dynamic metadata interfaces already utilized by Dolby Vision and HDR10+ in HDMI 2.0, which is why neither Dolby Vision nor HDR10+ require HDMI 2.1 to function properly.[126]

·
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2.0 supports Dolby vision.
looks like everything it supports is for gaming now!!! my brother has one hooked uo to comcast 4k service service and he did say the picture was sharper than his old 2.0 cable. i'll just have to toy with it and see if i see some difference..

·
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
from Wiki
  • Note: While HDMI 2.1 did standardize transport of dynamic HDR metadata over HDMI, in actuality it only formalized dynamic metadata interfaces already utilized by Dolby Vision and HDR10+ in HDMI 2.0, which is why neither Dolby Vision nor HDR10+ require HDMI 2.1 to function properly.[126]
i'm gonna have to play around with it and see if i notice a difference... people told me that i was choking my old 2.0 cable with the bandwith. i can see that on a 4k player but not DTV

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,987 Posts
will i notice any difference since there not doing dolby vision yet.
Given that Dolby Vision is NOT backwards compatible with older, cheap or Samsung 4/8K TVs, I wouldn't expect to see DV on DIRECTV as a general rule.

If you're speaking cables for other streaming clients (Roku, Fire TV, ATV) as well, a cable that supports 18Gbps is sufficient for 4K60p. If buying new cables, there's little point at shooting under 48Gbps.

Reactions: krel

·
Hall Of Fame
5,121 Posts
looks like everything it supports is for gaming now!!! my brother has one hooked uo to comcast 4k service service and he did say the picture was sharper than his old 2.0 cable. i'll just have to toy with it and see if i see some difference..
Your brother has no clue what he is talking about but feel free to waste your money

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,987 Posts
my brother has one hooked uo to comcast 4k service service and he did say the picture was sharper than his old 2.0 cable.
This is almost certainly a textbook example of "placebo effect".

Reactions: krel

·
Icon
4,011 Posts
Your brother has no clue what he is talking about but feel free to waste your money
I dunno, when I dropped $1500 on that 1 ft Monster Valhalla cable with multi-cross pollinated, diamond coated core and reverse isometric, 17 strand cotton jacket with proprietary anti higgs boson coating, my picture looked ALOT better 🤪

·
Hall Of Fame
5,121 Posts
I dunno, when I dropped $1500 on that 1 ft Monster Valhalla cable with multi-cross pollinated, diamond coated core and reverse isometric, 17 strand cotton jacket with proprietary anti higgs boson coating, my picture looked ALOT better 🤪
Lol

·
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
for 1500 that hdmi cable best be doing things to me that i won't mention on the board:D

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,579 Posts

·
Super Moderator
53,724 Posts
Updating HDMI version just by changing FW ?! :unsure:
Hardware compatible but the programmers couldn't get the FW right for the shipping release (or it was shipped before the manufacture wanted to support 2.1)?

·
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Just slight offtopic note ..
To my big surprise I did read this:

Updating HDMI version just by changing FW ?! :unsure:

Source Samsung Q70T/Q75T 4K QLED TV (QE55Q70TATXXU, QE65Q70TATXXU, QE75Q70TATXXU, QE85Q70TATXXU) | Expert Reviews
got that update on my x900h. the t.v. is a little more vivid like being in the movies and the blacks are darker. so yea sony updated the 2.1 hdmi ports to there full potential. if i didn't have to replace old cables then i would not have bothered. and panasonic 4k disc spinners are sensitive to what cables they like as well :mad:.

·
Mr. FixAnything
27,579 Posts
My beef was in statements from mfgs - HDMI specs are HW tied.
Perhaps HDCP keys revocation is only software updatable part. I've been living with the point: if a device support certain version HDMI, it's HW, eg non-upgradable.

·
Icon
4,011 Posts
My beef was in statements from mfgs - HDMI specs are HW tied.
Perhaps HDCP keys revocation is only software updatable part. I've been living with the point: if a device support certain version HDMI, it's HW, eg non-upgradable.
Yup. You can't upgrade the HDMI version in the field since that's baked into the hardware, but you can add / upgrade certain features. The HDMI spec & version numbers has been muddied over the, what? 5 years? and there's a lot of "optional" features and things like that, that have been added by certain manufacturers over time. Denon, for example, released a firmware update for my 3 yr old (at the time) AVR so it could pass through Dolby Vision. And I think my 2016 LG OLED got HLG support added in the field.

·
Icon
4,011 Posts
for 1500 that hdmi cable best be doing things to me that i won't mention on the board:D
It's not listed in the specs, but might be an off book feature

1 - 20 of 38 Posts