DBSTalk Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
It's not listed in the specs, but might be an off book feature

no need to spend that much digital bits are digital bits nothing more than 1's and 0's. i got a few monoprice cheap cables that work just fine!!!

·
Icon
4,008 Posts
no need to spend that much digital bits are digital bits nothing more than 1's and 0's. i got a few monoprice cheap cables that work just fine!!!
Yup. Monoprice ftw. When I first got my 1080p plasma back in the day, I bought some thick boutique hdmi cable that weren't overpriced, like $30 I think. Forget the brand. But they sucked! They were so thick and stiff you couldn't cable manage them, and when I ended up getting my BluRay player later, they couldn't even pass 1080p without sparkles. Complete trash!

Linus Tech Tips tested a bunch of hmdi cables with a legit hdmi tester and they found that most of the higher end ones didn't pass. Haha.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,965 Posts
The X900H was also shipped without the NextGen TV tuner being enabled. Just because it isn't there initially doesn't mean the supporting hardware isn't present. Sony was way ahead of the pack with their ATSC 3.0 tuners and the standard was still somewhat wiggly from the software side.

Reactions: krel

·
Super Moderator
53,718 Posts
My beef was in statements from mfgs - HDMI specs are HW tied.
Perhaps HDCP keys revocation is only software updatable part. I've been living with the point: if a device support certain version HDMI, it's HW, eg non-upgradable.
One would need to know what part of HDMI 2.1 the original firmware version was lacking ... or one could follow the link in what you quoted and read:
UPDATE: Sony has backtracked on its promise to deliver an HDMI 2.1 firmware update to its XH90 models in 'Winter 2020'. Towards the end of last year, Sony released some press materials declaring that the firmware update had indeed been rolled out, so we updated this article accordingly. Since then, however, no such update has materialised. In response to a query by Vincent Teoh of HDTVTest, Sony issued this statement: "The XH90/XH900 will support VRR and ALLM via a future firmware update. Any articles on Sony sites that stated otherwise have been updated with the correct information".​

·
Registered
6 Posts
Uh, yeah. NO!
Amazon's in house cables work just fine in my system!

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,965 Posts
still muddy wording ...
It is hard to un-muddy anything surrounding HDMI given that its specifications are a minimum qualification. Earlier implementations may pass some or all of a later version's tests. This is especially true when what was a "proprietary" extension is later adopted into the standard.

·
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)

·
Icon
4,008 Posts
here ya go

Audioquest Dragon 48 HDMI Cable (w/ 72v DBS System) :eek:

I really don't get how they are charging that much. A POUND of silver today is like $320. There's not 10 pounds of silver on that cable. There's probably less then an ounce haha.

You already know they should be locked up with descriptions like "100% solid silver PLATED" :).

I'm sure there's people buying it. I used to work with a guy who dropped $20K on TWO USED speakers and he said he "would feel ripped off using cheap cables". Uh, you spent $20k on speakers! if I blind folded you and given the same source, you probably couldn't tell the diff from a $1000 speaker.

It's so weird how I've never seen that done ANYWHERE :rolleyes:. How come NOBODY has ever taken one of these so called speaker / audio experts and blind folded them and threw all tiers of hardware & cables at them?

Probably cuz they're all scammers who would pick lower end stuff and then their careers would be over haha!

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
I really don't get how they are charging that much. A POUND of silver today is like $320. There's not 10 pounds of silver on that cable. There's probably less then an ounce haha.

You already know they should be locked up with descriptions like "100% solid silver PLATED" :).

I'm sure there's people buying it. I used to work with a guy who dropped $20K on speakers and he said he "would feel ripped off using cheap cables". Uh, you spent $20k on speakers! if I blind folded you and given the same source, you probably couldn't tell the diff from a $1000 speaker.
It is a 10 pack. Does that make it better?

·
Super Moderator
53,718 Posts

·
Icon
4,008 Posts
I love the use of the word "only".
There is a well known A/V site I visit, and every visit you get a big popup saying one of the owners of that site is selling 1 on 1 consultations. This can be for help with setting up your gear, configuring it, helping you pick out, etc. Pricing starts at "only" $150/hr. That site seems to review a lot of high end gear and often claim they can tell all sorts of differences between different tiers. Although, they do seem to bash high end cables "some of the time".

But hard to take them too seriously when they think the typical home user needs a $1500 pre-amp.

And as I mentioned above, until one of those so called audiophiles are willing to take a blind audition test, I'll never take any advice from them.

While I do very occasionally, over spend on an item or two, it's generally for some aesthetic nature and I know what I'm overpaying for :).

In this day an age, all the AV gear is made by Sound United, so its all pretty much the same. Just different feature sets at different price points. Stick to the 1 or 2 main brands and buy in the $500 - $1500 range and monoprice $4 cables and you're good.

·
Icon
2,698 Posts
In my mind, the time to change HDMI cables is when upgrading equipment. If your current HDMI cables work fine with your current equipment, new cables aren't going to improve anything. 4K content or the use of ARC/eARC, may require better cables than you are currently using. So, when changing equipment to something that utilizes those technologies, it makes sense to upgrade the HDMI cables. I typically buy cables that are one level higher than I need. I don't do any gaming. So, 4K (High speed) cables are sufficient for my needs. But, I prefer to go with 8K (Ultra High Speed) cables instead. For Monoprice cables, they are only a couple dollars more expensive.

The key to buying HDMI cables is to be sure that you are purchasing that is certified. There is an HDMI trade group that tests and certifies cables to ensure that they meet the advertised standards. Certified cables will come with a sticker containing a hologram and a QR code. These can both be read by a phone app to ensure that the cable that you purchase has, in fact, been certified. This certification doesn't mean that there won't be individual defective cables. It just means that the particular brand/model/length has been tested and should work for you.

The fact that a cable has not been certified doesn't mean that it won't work. It just means that no independent organization has tested it and certified that it should.

As long as you buy a certified cable, there is absolutely no reason to spend a lot of money on HDMI cables of a reasonable length. Once you get to extremely long HDMI cables, you may need to start spending some money.

Book Font Publication Rectangle Electric blue

Font Liquid Rectangle Publication Number

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,965 Posts
But hard to take them too seriously when they think the typical home user needs a $1500 pre-amp.
A good pre-amp is critical to everything else working at its best -- especially for those who choose to dabble in the analog domain. Because AVRs are so popular, pre-amps are low-volume and thus command a fairly high price (as do AVRs that feature balanced interconnects and offer support for moving magnet/coil turntables).

If there was a recommendation of a sound bar, a quad-sub setup or perhaps anything from Bose (and maybe Sonos at some level), it would be time to part ways.
In this day an age, all the AV gear is made by Sound United, so its all pretty much the same. Just different feature sets at different price points.
Yamaha, Technics, Rotel, Rega, Quad, PS Audio, Pioneer, NAD, Moon, McIntosh, Mark Levinson, Luxman, LEAK, Integra, Cambridge Audio, Audiolab and Anthem and many others would almost certainly disagree.

Sound United's "AV gear" brands are Denon and Marantz. International Audio Group represents more than a half dozen brands. Harman International (a subsidiary of Samsung) has quite a few big-name audiophile gear brands. Even Onkyo has three brands (Pioneer, Onkyo and Integra).

21 - 38 of 38 Posts