DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
Evidently some people can see a difference and some cannot, perhaps depending upon the TV in use.

The best idea is to compare them for yourself.

HDMI is barely superior on my main TV, but you really, really have to look close.

·
Godfather
286 Posts
There really shouldn't be any difference. That said I had a SA8300 box that displayed some sort of "interference" through component that wasn't present through HDMI. However the cable company didn't support HDMI so any issues I had with their crappy box they would attribute to me using HDMI and that's about as far as their support went.

But from what I've sort of gathered is it really depends on the hardware used. Sometimes there's handshake issues through HDMI that you don't get from component and you can get taken if you don't know what you're doing buying HDMI cables. They price them in retail stores like you're buying a kidney.

I use them because it keeps the cable clutter down. To me PQ is a wash.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Component technically can pass 1080p depending on the bandwidth, but most content providers will only do 1080p over HDMI for copy-protection reasons.

·
Mentor
34 Posts
Well, this is an interesting question. I was wondering the same thing.

Why? because what I am finding out is the audio lip sync issues I am having with the HD channels on D* is due to the fact I am using HDMI. And lip sync is an inherant problem with HDMI. I have been told this IS NOT a D* problem. I have tried using the audio out from both my tv (samsung fpt5084) and HR21 to my receiver (Yamaha RV901), but I still have the lync sync. I am going to try component and see if the lip sync problem goes away.

·
Godfather
308 Posts
Stuart Sweet said:
Component technically can pass 1080p depending on the bandwidth, but most content providers will only do 1080p over HDMI for copy-protection reasons.
I heard that all PPV will be copyright protected and not available over the component cables soon - is there any truth to that? If so, I would have to guess that HDMI is better!;)

·
Legend
204 Posts
Big difference on both my LCD and my CRT. I left the component hooked and the HDMI, pausing a movie and switching between inputs, the biggest difference was clarity of details, and deeper colors.

For me HDMI (or DVI) blows component out of the water. High Def in both, yes, but there is a difference, do the test on your own set with a Newegg HDMI cable for 5-7 dollars, and see for yourself.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
ktk0117 said:
Big difference on both my LCD and my CRT. I left the component hooked and the HDMI, pausing a movie and switching between inputs, the biggest difference was clarity of details, and deeper colors.

For me HDMI (or DVI) blows component out of the water. High Def in both, yes, but there is a difference, do the test on your own set with a Newegg HDMI cable for 5-7 dollars, and see for yourself.
Each input on my TV has adjustments. Changing between the two would look different if these weren't set properly.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Starchy77 said:
I heard that all PPV will be copyright protected and not available over the component cables soon - is there any truth to that? If so, I would have to guess that HDMI is better!;)
maybe i guess lol...best buy reps sure think its the best lol

·
Cool Member
13 Posts
jaxfan said:
Well, this is an interesting question. I was wondering the same thing.

Why? because what I am finding out is the audio lip sync issues I am having with the HD channels on D* is due to the fact I am using HDMI. And lip sync is an inherant problem with HDMI. I have been told this IS NOT a D* problem. I have tried using the audio out from both my tv (samsung fpt5084) and HR21 to my receiver (Yamaha RV901), but I still have the lync sync. I am going to try component and see if the lip sync problem goes away.
If your receiver is doing any altering of the HDMI bitstream, including scaling, etc, it may be adding a delay. Try turning your receiver to Native or Passthrough and see if it goes away. You could always let the box scale, but results will depend on what has the better chip, tv, receiver, or direct box.

·
Mentor
34 Posts
rtisovec said:
If your receiver is doing any altering of the HDMI bitstream, including scaling, etc, it may be adding a delay. Try turning your receiver to Native or Passthrough and see if it goes away. You could always let the box scale, but results will depend on what has the better chip, tv, receiver, or direct box.
The HDMI does not go through the receiver. It goes directly from the HR21 to the TV. Like I said, I tried the audio out from the tv and hr21 to the receiver and still have the lip sync problem.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,886 Posts
turey22 said:
so its a good thing to have for 1080p, which i knew abouit that, but theres NO REAL difference in the picture?
Theoretically there should be no difference in the picture.

As with many things in life, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

If you need to choose which cable to go purchase, personally, I would get a reasonably priced HDMI cable from monoprice or blue jeans cable. If you have both cables and inputs available on your TV/receiver, it may be worth a comparison to determine if your eyes in your environment can discern any difference. If so, pick the one you prefer. If not, pick the one that has less clutter / is the more correct length / is the more appealing color / won the coin toss...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.