DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a newly installed HR20 700 attached to a Panasonic plasma. I have tried it attached with an HDMI to DVI cable and with component cables. Using the component feed on HD programming the picture appears much more vibrant (colors more vivid and really pop), more pleasing to watch and the picture appears crisper and clearer as well, then on the HDMI feed. I confirmed this with the wife unit and she agrees. The HDMI picture is crisp but is somewhat washed out and has almost a hazy character. Is this normal for the HR20 or do I have a pproblem with the HDMI. Being relly critical I am wondering if the HDMI picture is actually more true to life and the component picture enhanced. Comments please. Thanks

Wayne

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
This is going to be a calibration thing.

Most of the modern TV's have a calibration settings for EACH independent input.

Component is an analog transmision between the HR20 and the TV... so the TV will process it in a different way then...
The HDMI/DVI which is a digital transmission...

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
wsmith said:
I have a newly installed HR20 700 attached to a Panasonic plasma. I have tried it attached with an HDMI to DVI cable and with component cables. Using the component feed on HD programming the picture appears much more vibrant (colors more vivid and really pop), more pleasing to watch and the picture appears crisper and clearer as well, then on the HDMI feed. I confirmed this with the wife unit and she agrees. The HDMI picture is crisp but is somewhat washed out and has almost a hazy character. Is this normal for the HR20 or do I have a pproblem with the HDMI. Being relly critical I am wondering if the HDMI picture is actually more true to life and the component picture enhanced. Comments please. Thanks

Wayne
As Earl said, calibration. Go to the HDMI input (with your HR20 HDMI connected), and make all your video adjustments to a picture quality you prefer (or use Avia or Video Essentials to get a feel for how your pix looks under various calibrations on the dvd side).

With my Sammy DLP, I have contrast at 70, sharpness at 10 and brightness in the low 50s. Your set will be different, but the one thing you can be CERTAIN of is the need to calibrate the HDMI input on your plasma to the HR20. I would be VERY surprised if you can't get your HDMI to look better than Component. It is obvious, but not gigantically better here.

·
Legend
268 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the HR20 is (Simplay HDMI) certified? I am looking at getting a new TV and its hdmi is simplay certified. Thought maybe if it was I might not have the HDMI problems that I see posted here. Or is it HDMI EIA-861B Standard.

·
Legend
127 Posts
I have a Sony KV34XBR910. Its the 34" tube. I have tried both and they are pretty much the same. I am a stickler for good picture quality (thats why I have a tube) and can say the HDMI and componant are about the same. Since the HR20 has been having so many problems with HDMI, (though I have not experienced any) I have decided to use componant.

·
Legend
192 Posts
Marty B said:
I have a Sony KV34XBR910. Its the 34" tube. I have tried both and they are pretty much the same. I am a stickler for good picture quality (thats why I have a tube) and can say the HDMI and componant are about the same. Since the HR20 has been having so many problems with HDMI, (though I have not experienced any) I have decided to use componant.
I have the previous tube Sony TV to your's....the 34XBR800 and am using HDMI with no issues whatsoever. PQ looks and works great so I've left the Component connection off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.