DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I just removed the HDMI cable and moved permanently to component, in a last ditch effort to try and smooth out my HR20 issues. Tired of head-banging, trying to force the HDMI use. HDMI should work, but the PQ difference I can live with, if it solves my problems.

Just trying to get a sense of HDMI vs. component out there. All I am looking for is two things, if you have issues or not (i.e., my HR20 is great, it sucks, or someplace in between) and if you are using HDMI or component. Also, you might want to report if you were using HDMI, had issues, and moved to component and the issues went away. This isn't a poll, just a trying to get a sense of how the connection issue shakes out.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
I've been connected via HDMI since I first got my HR20. Very few problems with mine, and of all the problems I've experienced I don't think any of them have been HDMI related. My TV is a Sony KDF50WE655.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
237 Posts
HDMI since the start. Only major probs were with the next to last update - Lots of partial and cancelled recordings - awful trick play function. Very smooth since the last update.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Not that it will help much in your analysis, but i have been using "component" from the beginning, as my tv does not have HDMI capability. My HR20 has not missed any recordings, has had no lockups, no BSOD's and only minor trick-play issues. DD did act weird prior to 0xE3, but has since returned to normal. Since Mpeg4 locals are not yet available in my DMA yet, i cannot report on any problems with Mpeg4 however.

Hope it stabilizes your box though. :)

·
Legend
111 Posts
I've been connected with HDMI to Samsung TV with no problems.

HDMI is digital feed. Component is analog feed.

For component cable, make sure it is good quality. The component analog feed can have ringing if poor cable or phono connnectors. Look at white text on black background and look for crisp edge with no ringing or ghosting on the transition from white to black on edges of characters.

·
Godfather
340 Posts
PoitNarf said:
I've been connected via HDMI since I first got my HR20. Very few problems with mine, and of all the problems I've experienced I don't think any of them have been HDMI related. My TV is a Sony KDF50WE655.
They must have tested this box with the Sony KDF series. I have a Sony KDF-E55A20 and haen't had any HDMI problems at all.

·
Godfather
423 Posts
I have HDMI connection to a Sony KLVS23A10. I have only encountered very minor problems, none of it HDMI related. HR20 has worked very well for me.

I have a 3LNB dish, so no mpeg4 locals.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
No problems with HDMI here. No MPEG4 yet.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
tstarn said:
Okay, I just removed the HDMI cable and moved permanently to component, in a last ditch effort to try and smooth out my HR20 issues. Tired of head-banging, trying to force the HDMI use. HDMI should work, but the PQ difference I can live with, if it solves my problems.

Just trying to get a sense of HDMI vs. component out there. All I am looking for is two things, if you have issues or not (i.e., my HR20 is great, it sucks, or someplace in between) and if you are using HDMI or component. Also, you might want to report if you were using HDMI, had issues, and moved to component and the issues went away. This isn't a poll, just a trying to get a sense of how the connection issue shakes out.
Been using HDMI to my Sammy HL-R5667W DLP 720P since day one (before any upgrades, and all upgrades since, not a single problem relating to HDMI). In 4 weeks + I have had 3 minor issues, none requiring a reboot and all upgrades have gone fine. I have my HR20 HDMI output feeding a MonoPrice 5x1 HDMI switch, which then feeds the Sammy.

I also have the Component outputs of the HR20 connected to my Onkyo Integra Amp where it is switched for my DVD/Hard Disk Recorder (480p).

I have the S-video out of the HR20 connected to the S-Video in on my Sammy

I have the Composite of the HR20 connected to an RF modulator to send the signal into the basement TV.

So:

1. Yes, HDMI from the start, no problems
2. All Video and Audio Outputs from the HR20 are in active use (at the same time)
3. No MPEG-4/HD-Locals here.

I really suspect 4 commonalities affecting the presence or absence HR20 problems:

1. HDMI (not just video issues, some incompatibility in communications causing other wierd problems)

2. Presence or absence of MPEG-4/HD-Locals

3. How the box is being used (programmed recordings, configuration, etc.)

4. Hardware issues (both HR20 itself, and Dish/Cable installations)

There has to be an explanation for why a significant number of people have few to no major issues, while others are plagued by major problems. It just doesn't make sense with all of us using the same firmware. It's got to be some of the variables listed above, and all except #4 above can be solved in firmware.

On the Component vs HDMI:

Component produces an excellent picture on my Sammy. If that was all I had, I would be overjoyed with the picture quality. That being said, when I compare it to HDMI, the differences are discernable, but NOT dramatic. I would characterize them as "crispness". Doing this comparison with a 720p source shows the most obvious improvement (and again it is minor)....my theory being I have a fixed pixel 720p display, so everyhing stays in the digital domain if the source is 720p.

If I had problems and I thought there was ANY chance that Component vs HDMI was involved, I would:

1. Set my TV to view Component.
2. Disconnect the HDMI Cable completely at both ends
3. Reboot the HR20 (red button reset)

Keep an eye on things over an extended period of time and see if things are more stable.

Now....we are going to add another variable pretty soon (everyone seems to expect an update 'real soon now'), so that will complicate your efforts to futher isolate the problem(s). Please keep us posted!

·
Legend
192 Posts
No problems with my HDMI to DVI on my Sony 34XBR800.

My brother-in-law has a brand new Sony A200060 SXRD set and his HDMI connection does not work. All you get is a black screen on both HDMI inputs.

He is using component.

·
Legend
209 Posts
HDMI will not work at all with my LG 37LC2d. Have been using component since day one and I have not had any problems with the HR20 aside from some minor trick play issues. The last update seems to have fixed the trick play problems.

No missed recordings. No partial recording. No BSOD. Everything has been weeking fine for me.

·
Godfather
488 Posts
Started with component for the first 3 weeks ans then switched to HDMI about 3 weeks ago. No problems with either to new Samsung. The HR-20 has worked without any major problems. Only slight bugs like the reported pixelation when FF in one of the releases, etc.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
I've used component connections only with my older Toshiba 42H81 and now my brand-new Samsung HL-S5688W - no problems to speak of except some trick-play glitches on a very few recordings.

Now that I have an HDMI-compatible TV, I'm tempted to pick up a couple HDMI cables (one for the HR20, one for my DVD player) and see how it goes.

·
Cool Member
27 Posts
My HR20 has been connected to Panasonic TH-50PX60U with HDMI from the very begining. A DVD player, Philips DVP5960, is also connected via HDMI.
Never experienced any HDMI issues.

·
Godfather
260 Posts
I have only had my Panasonic PT-52LCX16 for 3 weeks and the HR20 for one week. I have the HR20 connected directly to the HDMI1 input and a Toshiba upconverting DVD player connected into HDMI2 and have had no problems. The one show that I did record (OU-Missouri football game) recorded fine with a 1 hour pad. I haven't tried any audio to my receiver yet with the HR20, we have just been using the TV speakers.

·
Cool Member
11 Posts
I just got an HDMI cable and plugged it into my 32" LCD Samsung. I've had the HR20 for a little over a week and before that my H20 was connected via component. Have only had one problem with component (one recording of Studio 60 had a major audio synch issue which I couldn't resolve) but I doubt it had anything to do with the component cable itself.

Since I just hooked up the HDMI tonight I haven't had any problems, but I'm comparing the PQ and the HDMI looks horrible. Major pixelization, blockiness, random pixels the wrong color on blacks. I switch back and forth on live TV and it looks bad, but when I pause and switch back and forth it's really obvious. I've tried it with Native on and off, in all resolutions and I've played with the TV settings, but component just looks better.

Did I get a cheap cable? I bought from Blue Jeans cable.

Is the HDMI just showing the limitations of my TV?

·
Legend
188 Posts
Been connected with both since day 1 and have had no problems. One freeze up, oh and my CID doesn't work. No missed recordings.

·
Legend
127 Posts
giuseppe said:
Did I get a cheap cable?
Since HDMI is a digital connection, not analog, it would be VERY unlikely that you have a bad cable. The signal is either there or not there....picture quality on a $200 HDMI cable should not vary from the quality over a $20 HDMI cable.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.