1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Legend
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Equipment
DTV Tuner H20-600
LG 42LC2D

I have the HDMI Cable hooked to the LG TV and then from the LG TV I have a TOSLink Fiber cable attached to my Receiver. When i do this, I never get the Blue light (Sony receiver) that states that I am getting 5.1.. But when I take the TOSlink cable out of the TV and put it in the H20, the blue light goes on.

So what is stripping the 5.1? Is the H20 stripping out 5.1 when the HDMI cable is used, or is the TV stripping it out from the TV to the Receiver? I was hoping that the 5.1 would work on the HDMI cause I want to add some more HDMI equipment to my System using an HDMI switch of sorts.

ARGH?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,476 Posts
eatonjb said:
So what is stripping the 5.1?
It seems pretty obvious that the TV isn't passing the DD signal. Most televisions only send out DD from a built-in tuner (if they have one). LG's manual applies to all of their televisions and it doesn't say.

Do you get DD when using the tuner?

The LG manual covers 11 models, so it is substantially silent on specifications.

·
Godfather
470 Posts
harsh said:
It seems pretty obvious that the TV isn't passing the DD signal. Most televisions only send out DD from a built-in tuner (if they have one). LG's manual applies to all of their televisions and it doesn't say.

Do you get DD when using the tuner?

The LG manual covers 11 models, so it is substantially silent on specifications.
This is a subject, I've been trying to understand myself. It appears some televisions do pass the audio through, while others don't, It seems that most if not all tv's, with the coax/optical audio output will pass the dd 5.1 from ota, but the hdmi inputs are a completely different matter. I've read some of the user manuals also, and they don't really address the issue.

I'm still shopping for hdtv's, but this is one thing I'd really like to understand better, otherwise it's back to a mess of hookups, etc to get dd 5.1 with an external amplifier.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.