DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 219 Posts

· Charter Gold Club Member
22,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Wonder how your home theatre is doing? Wish you had test patterns to help set it up? Well, HDNet is here to help. This short 10-minute program will help you get the most out of your home theater setup by providing you with the same professional test patterns HDNet uses to set their gear.

Here's the latest HDNet Test Pattern schedule. Additional dates and times will be posted as they are made available by HDNet.
HDNet Test Patterns - 2011

Sat, Apr 23rd 6:00 AM ET/ 3:00 AM PT
Sat, Apr 30th 6:00 AM ET/ 3:00 AM PT

(Additional dates/times tba. For the latest schedule, go to www.hd.net and search on "pattern")
Set your DVR and record this 10-minute video for periodic tweaking of your HD display. Tips on adjusting your display using the HDNet test patterns can be found HERE.

* * * * *​
HDNet is available on:

DirecTV - Channel 306 and 1079
Dish Network - Channel 362

· Legend
177 Posts
Just got my 622 installed today and marked it for recording. This will definitely come in handy.

A million thanks!

· Legend
177 Posts
Watched it this morning... Very cool!

Luckily my screen was already set to the perfect settings and everything looked great in the various test patterns.

· Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Cool i am looking forward to giving this a try. Thanks for th updates on all of the great HDnet programming.

· Legend
135 Posts
How do I find it??!

· Legend
177 Posts

· Legend
135 Posts
AH. Just subscribed to that. Still getting my channels together. Didn't know what HDNet was or the channel number at the time.

thanks

· Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Is it not listed in the guide usually? (HR20 User here) I looked at that time and a music show is on at that time.

INHUMANITY said:
http://hd.net/program_search_results.html?keyword=Test Pattern&whattosearch=title

Next one is scheduled for:
Sun, Jan 28 - 6:50 AM ET
3:50 AM PT

Just set your DVR to record the program and you're good to go. When I recorded mine I had to FF a minute or two into the recording before the actual test pattern began.

Then you hear a voice explaining to you what each test pattern does and how to properly adjust your display.

· Legend
135 Posts
I just went there also and all there was was a blank box with programing before it and after it. Can one record a blank time slot with no info??

· Legend
135 Posts
Found it on the DirectTV site:

Channel: 79 HDN Air Time: Sunday, February 4 5:50 AM CST Duration: 10 minutes Categories: Series MPAA Rating: NR (Not Rated) Future airings of Test Pattern:

Sunday, February 4 5:50 AM CST 79 HDN

But not in the guide and only on the 4th, not the 28th.

· Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
hmmmmmm. I wonder if taping the show that is supposed to be on before and after this will solve the problem?

· Hall Of Fame
1,951 Posts
Mixer said:
hmmmmmm. I wonder if taping the show that is supposed to be on before and after this will solve the problem?
It probably won't. I had it set up when it was blank and it removed the setting. I had to reset it to pick up at this time. If the show changes, you'll miss out on the recording.

22,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, not in my opinion, but it's useful as a standard for a quick tweak.

· Registered
14,213 Posts
This link was in antother discussion thread: The HDNet Overscan pattern is not accurate.

http://www.smartcalibration.com/hdnetoverscan.html

(Look at the bottom hash marks: Numbers go down from 12, to 10, to 8, but what is marked as 8 should really be marked as 6, as the real 8 is the line directly below 10. All numbers marked 8 and down on the pattern are actually off by 2.)

22,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Drew, thanks for bringing the article to our attention.

Unfortunately, like so much information posted on the Internet, the report is not
dated, although the copyright date at the bottom of the page is 2004. Since my
local cable franchise went from Adelphia to Comcast I no longer get HDNet, so it
is impossible for me to tell by observation if the writer's criticisms are still relevant.

I've attached an accurate HDNet test pattern image which I captured from the link
in the SmartCalibration article.

Further, l will contact HDNet myself to determine if the test pattern currently being
broadcast on Sunday mornings conforms to industry calibration standards. In any
case, I would not expect ISF to sign off on the test pattern under any conditions.

Attachments

22,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here is the text of my email to HDNet:
TO: viewer @ hd.net

An issue has been raised by a poster at DBSTalk.com regarding the accuracy of
the static test pattern (TP) as broadcast by HDNet. The first link below is to the
SmartCalibrations.com site, and is the original challenge to the accuracy of the
TP. The second and third links will take you to two relevant posts in the ongoing
discussions at DBSTalk.com

In view of the original criticism, kindly advise if and when the TP was updated, and
the current state of the TP.

Please provide a detailed explanation and be advised that your response will be
posted in the HDNet Test Pattern thread at DBSTalk.com

Thank you,

Nick Nixon
Contributing Editor
DBSTalk.com

http://www.smartcalibration.com/hdnetoverscan.html

http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=956216&postcount=18
http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=956604&postcount=19

1 - 20 of 219 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.