·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New study says high-def owners have
significantly more income than most.

By Phillip Swann, President, TVPredictions

Washington, D.C. -- October 25, 2006

Is High-Definition TV only for the rich?

A new study from Leichtman Research says that while more households have
high-def sets, the average HD owner makes significantly more income than the
average person.

The report found that the mean annual income of HDTV households is 42 percent
above the average. In addition, 26 percent of households with annual incomes of
more than $50,000 have a high-def set compared to seven percent of households
with annual incomes below $50,000.

The report was based on a survey of 1,300 U.S. households. ...

More @ TVPredictions.com

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Is that really shocking? Groundbraking research there?

I mean what is the lowest price you can find an HDTV?
$1,000? maybe $750?

And those households that are lower then the $50k have a lot more things to worry about then the quality of the picture on their TV.

School for their Children (or self), Food, Rent/Mortgage, Car, Work, ect...

Most of those families have to watch every dime now adays.
And if their TV they got for free when the neighboor moved, still works......

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Earl Bonovich said:

$1,000? maybe $750?
How about $1,000 for a 53" RPTV HDTV two years ago?

How about $555 for a 23" LCD HDTV last month?

Do your research, and NEVER, EVER pay retail! :icon_da:

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Nick said:
Do your research, and NEVER, EVER pay retail! :icon_da:
Just shows how long I already had my TV for.. :)

I new they where going down in price... but I didn't realize how low.
I know my good friend just purchased a 42" Hitachi 1080i plasma for $1,700 at BEST BUY.... (they pricematched the internet price he found.... I not sure WHY they did...they just did)

·
Old Guys Rule!
5,053 Posts

·
Godfather
445 Posts
That article is correct. Right now HDTV or what I call it HETV (Highly Expensive Television) is only for the nitch and rich. I still don't see how the broadcast networks are going to be ready by 2009. I just don't see it happening until they start to sell a good size TV for under $500. 32" are too small. 37" is the right size. 27" are like a 20" 4:3 TV. I open up my Sunday paper and see many HD sets and they are in the thousands and then one page they have SD sets that are affordable that an average Joe can afford. Mark my word. 2/17/2009 will be pushed back again.

·
Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08
5,222 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

$1,000? maybe $750?
The 17 inch HDTV in my office was $200.

I will probably replace the 26 inch SDTVs upstairs with HDs after the first of the year. Will cost maybe $1000 for both, together. It's not too much more than a good SDTV.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,433 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

$1,000? maybe $750?

And those households that are lower then the $50k have a lot more things to worry about then the quality of the picture on their TV.

School for their Children (or self), Food, Rent/Mortgage, Car, Work, ect...

Most of those families have to watch every dime now adays.
And if their TV they got for free when the neighboor moved, still works......
Yeah that is why when you drive by blighted areas, with dilapitated houses, there are always caddies parked out front and sat dishes on the roof. And I bet the people inside have cell phones. The sad fact is these people don't focus on what they should, they buy this stuff. But meanwhile, I no longer know anyone, except my 75 year old mom, who DOES NOT have an HDTV.

·
Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08
5,222 Posts
My dad (age 76--still works full time) asked me if he should get an HDTV. I said "when you start watching TV wearing your glasses, sure." :)

·
Hall Of Fame
3,990 Posts
My entire system (CRT projector, tuner, antenna , etc.) cost less than $800 two years ago, and I get an 84 inch picture.

If someone wants HDTV they can put a workable system together today for less than $500, even less if they want to go small (under 40 inches).

·
Old Guys Rule!
5,053 Posts
reddice said:
That article is correct. Right now HDTV or what I call it HETV (Highly Expensive Television) is only for the nitch and rich. I still don't see how the broadcast networks are going to be ready by 2009. I just don't see it happening until they start to sell a good size TV for under $500. 32" are too small. 37" is the right size. 27" are like a 20" 4:3 TV. I open up my Sunday paper and see many HD sets and they are in the thousands and then one page they have SD sets that are affordable that an average Joe can afford. Mark my word. 2/17/2009 will be pushed back again.
1. You don't seem to understand. There is NO mandate for networks to broadcast in HD, only to go digital by Feb. 2009, at which time analog broadcasting is to cease. All televisions in the marketplace are required to have digitl tuners by that time.

2. Yes, 27 inch HDTV's are equivalent to 20 inch 4:3 TV's.

3. HD TV's 36 inches and larger are available below $900 -- you can get an RCA 52 inch rear projection HDTV for that price. It is highly unlikely that you'll see a reduction in price of large screen sets to the $500 level. Apparently, you don't understand the complexity of HDTV's as compared to SDTV's. Also, the price of large flat panels is unlikely to match the price of CRT projectors of similar size. They are much more expensive to produce. Flat panel technology is already mature, so the high prices of the past have come down significantly.

Granted, as technology evolves, prices come down. We've already seen this across the board in TV receivers. My first 21 inch round tube color TV cost me $500 in 1958. I'd hate to think of that in terms of 2006 dollars!

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A 27" 16:9 HDTV is equivalent to a 20" 4:3 TV only in that it approximates the vertical screen dimension.

The similarity ends there.

·
Cool Member
13 Posts
I have a Sanyo 26" LCD HDTV which I bought at Wal-Mart in June for then-$697 ($647 now). I'm far from rich, which is why I bought the TV in spring/summer when I knew that home heating oil wouldn't be an issue. What I wonder is whether or not my grandmother's TV is capable of HD on its own? It's a Zenith model #R56W36, a 56" projection model made in October of 2003. Her Comcast cable converter only has the standard red/white/yellow RCA jacks for A/V, which are connected to her TV right now. (The thing is about the size of my Motorola cable modem, also connected with Comcast.) She has progressive R/G/B RCA jacks on the back of the TV, but has nothing those could be hooked up to.

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If her tv has the RCA-type red/green/blue component video inputs, then it is capable of accepting a hi-def signal.
Whether the picture produced is HD or ED remains to be seen.

If this her tv set
then she has an HD monitor. All she needs is an HD stb, a subscription an HD
programming tier and a tech-savvy grandson to fix her up with stunning hi-def. ;)

·
Cool Member
13 Posts
Tech-savvy grandson? Now that's funny! I'm really not compared to most of the people on this board. I'm pretty certain that it's a monitor since I've had an antenna hooked on her TV before in prime time and nothing was in HD on any channel.

·
Godfather
445 Posts
So you are saying that in 2009 they will still be making SDTV's but they will all have a digital tuner because I have seen SDTV's now with digital tuners. That makes sense then.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.