DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a question for any of the RV'ers or others that utilize HD while traveling.

In the past, I carried an extra 18" dish in my camper and took an SD receiver from my house. Many times we camp in places with significant tree cover but I can usually find a spot through which to get a shot. I have since upgraded to HD (HR-21) at home and would like to put a HDTV in the camper. Here is my question:

If I use an extra Slimline dish with a tripod (and the HR-21), what happens if I cannot get all the satellites due to the 20 degrees (99 to 119) needed to hit all 5 satellites. If I can get the 101 satellite only will I still receive all the normal channels in SD (except locals that are outside the spot beam)?

Any experiences in this area would be appreciated.

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
hikersc;1783713If I use an extra Slimline dish with a tripod (and the HR-21) said:
Yes, You'll still get those channels. And all HD now comes from the 99/101/103 birds so you should be ok with those trees.

Make sure though the tripod you get is big enough to take the 2" pipe used for the slimline.

· Godfather
277 Posts
Shouldn't be an issue. I take an 18" dish around too, and don't bother with HD. Yet. But I will probably next year.

The only concern you might have is guide data if you can't hit the 119 location. I believe that is an issue specific to all dishes that are designed to receive 119.

· Legend
140 Posts
This may not be the right place for this question but, What will be the result if I take an H20 from my Apt which is hooked to an SWM and move it to a slimline in the RV for a couple of days? Will it change back to 5lnb dish type or will it be confused by lack of SWM? And what about when I return it to the SWM location?

· Hall Of Fame
1,779 Posts
kd4ao said:
This may not be the right place for this question but, What will be the result if I take an H20 from my Apt which is hooked to an SWM and move it to a slimline in the RV for a couple of days? Will it change back to 5lnb dish type or will it be confused by lack of SWM? And what about when I return it to the SWM location?
H-20's can be a little flakey but I frequently change between a SWM system and a portable regular slimline without having to change anything. It does take a looong time to reboot as it determines the change to or from SWM mode.
Don't forget to add / remove BBC as you change.
Forgot both ways and took a while to"figure out" why MPEG 4 channels didn't want to work.

Doctor j

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.