DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
AllStar
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else having an issue with the HD shows being quite a bit quieter than any of the SD broadcasts? It could be my imagination but I don't think it was always this way either.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
That's pretty typical. I see that all the time on my OTA HD channels as well (not on an HR20 obviously). Basically most HD channels are encoded in DD 5.1 which typically produces softer center channel then what you get with regular pro-logic. But a lot of it also depends on how the channel actually encodes the 5.1 and how your A/V receiver decodes it. Sometimes it's even the opposite. For example my local Fox is very soft in 5.1 but my CBS blows your doors off with 5.1. Just all depends.

But anyway, totally normal and nothing to do with your DirecTV receiver.

·
AllStar
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bonscott87 said:
That's pretty typical. I see that all the time on my OTA HD channels as well (not on an HR20 obviously). Basically most HD channels are encoded in DD 5.1 which typically produces softer center channel then what you get with regular pro-logic. But a lot of it also depends on how the channel actually encodes the 5.1 and how your A/V receiver decodes it. Sometimes it's even the opposite. For example my local Fox is very soft in 5.1 but my CBS blows your doors off with 5.1. Just all depends.

But anyway, totally normal and nothing to do with your DirecTV receiver.
Interesting comments but (currently) my center channel is in phantom mode, so it should always sound the same sound level since it's always using the same speakers.

·
Legend
203 Posts
nFavor said:
Interesting comments but (currently) my center channel is in phantom mode, so it should always sound the same sound level since it's always using the same speakers.
Do a google search on HD volumes and you will find this to be very common even on HD radio stations.

·
Godfather
267 Posts
I had the exact same issue with our old HR10... this is not a problem specific to just the HR20. It is annoying, but there's not much we could do about it. Maybe D* could simply turn the volume knob on the HD channel Satellites to 11 though. ;)

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
nFavor said:
Not when the stations are the one's jacking up or down the volume. Especially with locals DirecTV is just passing on the signal they get (audio and video).

Like I said, this is a very common issue OTA which has nothing to do with D* or their receivers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.