DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still a mystery ...

By Dale Cripps, HDTV Magazine

USA Today said last week that a Frank N. Magid Associates' Report confirmed that consumers are still "confused over what HDTV is and whether it costs extra to get programming" (in the HD format). The study found that 47% of consumers buying an HD set now planned to watch TV programs in HD, versus 63% two years ago. Moreover, 30% of HDTV owners have yet to add HD service through their cable or satellite provider, and those that have, complain that HD stations tend to occupy the farthest reaches of the channel range (Channels 800 and up, etc.).

Commentary ...

The success of DTV has always depended upon a voluntary cooperative between government, consumers, the consumer electronics industry, broadcasters, cablers, satellite operators, and retailing with each faction pulling their own weight at just the right time. If the confusion that is cited in the Magid report is left unchecked there is a very real threat that this holy balance could crumble, which could lead to "the bloom falling off the rose". For one, the 30% of HD owners who are not attached to any HD signals are ineffectual promoters of the format...

More @ HDTV Magazine.com

·
Hall Of Fame
1,893 Posts
When my father was in college, a professor told him that he would see that MOST people in the world are basically STUPID!

We see it time and time again...

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dint need no college perfesser to tell me dat some peeple are really
stoopid. Ting is, evry yeer mor and mor of dem are getting stoopider
an stoopider! ;)

·
9 Posts
Nick said:
I dint need no college perfesser to tell me dat some peeple are really
stoopid. Ting is, evry yeer mor and mor of dem are getting stoopider
an stoopider! ;)
No doubt. Although there is so much more to show ignorance about nowadays. Especially in technology. It is replaced and improved so rapidly it has to be a hobby to keep up with most of it. It is hard to feel competent to disscuss it much less make a well informed purchase pertaining to it.

·
Legend
202 Posts
I've talked to at least a handful of people that insist you must have cable (or perhaps DBS) to even experience local HDTV. While that MAY be true in distant areas or places that have terrain issues for OTA broadcasts, that's not true for most people. Even the people who work at Best Buy and Circuit City are clueless. When I told a guy that I was getting OTA HDTV with an antenna it was like I told him that there was no Santa Claus.

People ***** that the HD channels are high on the dial? Boo friggin hoo. IIRC you can group your stations together on the box so you don't have to scroll so far down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.