DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
AllStar
136 Posts
Davenlr said:
Set the receiver to output 480i.
Wonderful. I have a box that outputs HD and SD simultaneously -- So D*s fix for that problem is to give me a guide that can't be simultaneously output SD and HD. No problem.
The fix is I should watch SD on my HDTV so my wife can watch SD in the kitchen? Surely the people who are saying just switch to 480i/p can't be serious? BTW, what new features in the HD guide would I care about, anyway? Faster would have been good, but that ain't gonna happen.

·
AllStar
136 Posts
Davenlr said:
No, the fix is watch SD on your HDTV so your wife in the kitchen can change the channel on whatever you are watching using the guide. If you are watching something in HD, keep watching it in HD. The wife can still watch in SD. If she wants the channel changed, she can yell "Honey, switch to something else". Maybe even join you in the LR, to decide, using the pretty HD guide.
Would that it were that simple, but alas it isn't

Shades228 said:
If you design a product to be used in a specific manner and people use it in another manner you don't care if it will make something happen in a manner you don't support if it makes your product better for people using it correctly.
Hmm, designed to simultaneously output video in three different formats, but not expecting anyone to use it that way? Do let me apologize for using D*'s equipment "incorrectly".

I've been with D* since 1997 (BUD user prior to that). Since 1999 I've been combining OTA with DirecTV and distributing it to four bedrooms and the kitchen using digital NTSC modulators. I currently distribute two HR10-250s, an R16, an HR21, a Dishplayer, and a DVD player using two four channel modulators, and two distribution amps which combine the OTA signals with the two modulator outputs I also have a wired IR system that allows me to control any of those boxes from any of the remote TV locations. So, it ain't quite so simple. If you get the idea significant time and money invested in this you're right.

The most puzzling thing about this thread is that none of the responders pointed to me to the sticky about solutions to this problem which is dated two weeks ago. Mea Culpa for not noticing it before. Stewart Sweet reposted one of the solutions, beyond that there were none offered in any thread that I found. Looks like I'll be spending $50 for a component/composite converter. The sad thing is that if it weren't so convoluted an operation to simply change resolutions on the fly I probably wouldn't even have come here. The HR-10s won't output SD and HD simultaneously, but it takes a touch of a button on the remote to switch back and forth.

·
AllStar
136 Posts
DogLover said:
Pressing and holding the Exit button is just one button.
You are of course correct. When I first tried it didn't seem to work. Seems to work now with all my remotes. I'll probably still plunk for the converter, partly because I want to try it with the TiVos. Watching HD in one room and SD in another simply isn't an option with them. Some day the TiVos will die. They're used now for OTA and a few SD only D* Channels.

BTW, other comments on the suggestions in the sticky. Number three doesn't apply if you have "Native" video on. In this case the format key will only cycle through the formats for the current resolution. Not a real starter anyway. Wouldn't want to have to cycle through the four screen fromats for every checked resolution anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.