DBSTalk Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Maruuk said:
I've tried 3 different remotes and the iPad remote and the EXIT hold down either does nothing or forces a mode change into a live channel. Mostly it does nothing. It certainly doesn't change resolution output.

In short bursts the HDUI is on screen, downscaled nicely to SD and working like it should so it CAN do the job fine, but the frickin warning blocker suddenly kicks in and wrecks everything. Way to go D*, another brilliant execution choked away by the geniuses in R&D. "Let's stick a huge warning sign on screen over the perfectly good downscaled HDUI so the user can't watch anything!" Forrest Gump lives.
Something's not adding up here. First of all I'm assuming we're using the DIRECTV remotes, not a third party. I know this works, we just have to figure out why it's not working for you. If you're seeing the HDUI downsampled, are you already set to 480i? Maybe that's the issue.

·
Legend
250 Posts
Stuart Sweet said:
Something's not adding up here. First of all I'm assuming we're using the DIRECTV remotes, not a third party. I know this works, we just have to figure out why it's not working for you. If you're seeing the HDUI downsampled, are you already set to 480i? Maybe that's the issue.
Are third party remotes known to be a problem with this feature? The reason I ask is I'm using a URC-8820 and holding down the Exit button works as well as it does with the DirecTV remote on my HR21-100.

·
DaBears
6,085 Posts
I haven't heard of a specific issue for 3rd party remotes but it is possible that third party remotes don't have the exact specific behavior of a long press as it wasn't used prior. Some remotes could stop sending the IR signal after the initial "command" was sent rather than repeating.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
All my remotes are stock D* units, including the new backlit one I ordered thinking it might solve some issues. It didn't.

Now I understand the warning blocker coming on if the HDUI is incapable of downscaling based on my current settings. But there it is, looking good in downscaled SD and running fine, and then suddenly the %&$%$#@ blocker pops on and ruins the party.

I'll try that "turn off NATIVE" thing today, maybe that's the problem. I don't mind switching back and forth between HD and SD, as long as it's just a button push or two. Though some guys have said they had to turn their units on and off, or worse.

If I can't fix it I'll just suck it up and get the remote receiver deal.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Was running it tonight, using the FF and some :30 skip the HDUI comes on (in SD of course), looking fine, no warning. Used it for about 10 minutes then finally the warning blocker comes on out of the blue telling me that it can't do what it's been doing for 10 minutes.

D*. What can't they get wrong?

·
Cool Member
19 Posts
I have one D* receiver that I have connected a HDTV using the HDMI cable, and 2 SD TV's in 2 different rooms using the SD outputs on the D* receiver. One of the rooms is about 75 feet away from the D* box and I am using a RF Modulator to jump on the existing COAX cable to this spot. I bet there are lots of people that have done this trick. I considered running HD cable to this spot, but I don't think running 75' HDMI or Component video cable is recommended (too long a distance).

It was working fine until this new HD Guide enhancement came out. It's just an annoance to have to keep switching the TV resolutions back/forth. So, I just spent $50
on a Component to Composite Converter so that I will make the D* guide do what it used to do.

BTW, I for one have not noticed any significant change in the HD Guide from the old -- except the color scheme. Because I use an RF remote - it's always a bit flacky anyway...

·
Mentor
63 Posts
Gatorgogo said:
I have one D* receiver that I have connected a HDTV using the HDMI cable, and 2 SD TV's in 2 different rooms using the SD outputs on the D* receiver. One of the rooms is about 75 feet away from the D* box and I am using a RF Modulator to jump on the existing COAX cable to this spot. I bet there are lots of people that have done this trick. I considered running HD cable to this spot, but I don't think running 75' HDMI or Component video cable is recommended (too long a distance).

It was working fine until this new HD Guide enhancement came out. It's just an annoance to have to keep switching the TV resolutions back/forth. So, I just spent $50
on a Component to Composite Converter so that I will make the D* guide do what it used to do.
Gatorgogo,
I was wondering if the $50 component to composite converter you used had any adjustment for aspect ratio. I have a similar setup and converter as you, and, with the HDR set for 16X9 (of course for the HDMI out), the component out feeds a 16X9 signal to the converter which then displays a picture on a 4x3 set that is not letterboxed. But it should be letterboxed to maintain the correct vertical aspect ratio.

Of course having aspect control on an inexpensive converter is asking a lot. I am just wondering if yours exhibits the same behavior?

Thanks,
BJB

·
Cool Member
19 Posts
I just got the Component to Composite Converter in the mail today and connected it up to the Component outputs on the D* HD receiver. The picture on the SD TV looks the same as the original SD outputs from the D* receiver. It seems to have the right aspect ratio on the SD TV. The HD resolution is still at the 1080i output and looks sharp on the HDTV. And yes, when I press the Guide Button, I don't see the warning message on the SD TV's anymore telling me to press the Exit Button. So for the price of a $50 converter, I'm back where I was before the new HD Guide was installed by D*... Yea...

·
Mentor
63 Posts
Gatorgogo said:
I just got the Component to Composite Converter in the mail today and connected it up to the Component outputs on the D* HD receiver. The picture on the SD TV looks the same as the original SD outputs from the D* receiver. It seems to have the right aspect ratio on the SD TV. The HD resolution is still at the 1080i output and looks sharp on the HDTV. And yes, when I press the Guide Button, I don't see the warning message on the SD TV's anymore telling me to press the Exit Button. So for the price of a $50 converter, I'm back where I was before the new HD Guide was installed by D*... Yea...
Could you share what brand you purchased? I am definitely not seeing the same aspect ratio.
Thanks,
BJB

·
Legend
210 Posts
BJB said:
Gatorgogo,
I was wondering if the $50 component to composite converter you used had any adjustment for aspect ratio. I have a similar setup and converter as you, and, with the HDR set for 16X9 (of course for the HDMI out), the component out feeds a 16X9 signal to the converter which then displays a picture on a 4x3 set that is not letterboxed. But it should be letterboxed to maintain the correct vertical aspect ratio.

Of course having aspect control on an inexpensive converter is asking a lot. I am just wondering if yours exhibits the same behavior?
BJB, just use the aspect ratio setting in the D* box itself. One of the main reasons why these converters were so useful prior to this D* HDGUI was to be able to maintain the full 16:9 aspect ratio when recording to a DVD recorder from a cable box. Every cable box I ever experimented with automatically letterboxes widescreen content when output via s-video or composite connectors. So the component to composite converters maintain the original aspect ratio for you.

·
Cool Member
19 Posts
The Component to Composit Converter is probably the device that is making the right aspect ratio for the SD TV's. That's available at Monoprice..

Product Number 7114 Component (YpbPr) to Composite Converter

The RF Modulator puts the composite Video/Sound on coax cable I have in the house...it's available on Ebay or Amazon among others: RCA RF Modulator (Model CRF910)

Hope this helps...

·
Mentor
63 Posts
Gatorgogo and MISpat, thanks for the input!

Since monoprice was out of stock I ended up buying one from Sewell. The units looks identical (I assumed various companies re-label the same box). MISpat, I did have my box set to 16X9 but my converted output is definitely not letterboxed. It is vertically stretched to fit the 4X3 SD screen. My HDMI output is appropriately 16X9 so I assume the component is feeding 16X9 to the converter.

I have the HD settings at "Native" and "Original format" if that might matter.

It drives me nuts because I used to use my old H-10 this way all the time and as you said, I would get nice letterboxed SD for my locals out of the composite.

I'll have to try the monoprice piece when it becomes available.:)

Thanks,
BJB

·
Mentor
63 Posts
Gatorgogo said:
The Component to Composit Converter is probably the device that is making the right aspect ratio for the SD TV's. That's available at Monoprice..

Product Number 7114 Component (YpbPr) to Composite Converter

The RF Modulator puts the composite Video/Sound on coax cable I have in the house...it's available on Ebay or Amazon among others: RCA RF Modulator (Model CRF910)

Hope this helps...
Garorgogo,
Would you be so kind as to share your satellite box format settings for the component to composite? I checked with monoprice and they think their 7114 box would also stretch a 16X9 input vertically to 4x3 and not letterbox just like the re-label I have.

Thanks again, would love to get this working the way it used to! :)
BJB

·
Godfather
380 Posts
BJB said:
Garorgogo,
Would you be so kind as to share your satellite box format settings for the component to composite? I checked with monoprice and they think their 7114 box would also stretch a 16X9 input vertically to 4x3 and not letterbox just like the re-label I have.

Thanks again, would love to get this working the way it used to! :)
BJB
I too have the Monoprice Component to Composite converter, which then feeds an RF modulator (that used to take the Composite signal direct from the receiver). My receiver is a HR23 - both the composite output, and now the component-to-composite converted output is vertically stretched to fill 4:3 TV's elsewhere in my house.

I had played with the format settings ad-nauseum, and was unable to ever get the correct aspect ratio on the SD TV's. (Particularly annoying as I have seen Echostar receivers that not only do this, but let you modify the SD output of HD pictures - crop, stretch, letterbox, etc - regardless of what the HD output is doing in the HDMI-connected main HDTV!!)

I had figured there was no way to get the correct aspect ratio from SD output (and now component-to-composite converted output) from a HRxx box. Maybe tuning to the SD equivalent of the HD channel might work if watching live TV - and you let the 4:3 picture stretch to fill 16:9 on the HDTV - but we're usually watching recorded shows in this mode.

·
Mentor
63 Posts
rwmair said:
I had figured there was no way to get the correct aspect ratio from SD output (and now component-to-composite converted output) from a HRxx box. Maybe tuning to the SD equivalent of the HD channel might work if watching live TV - and you let the 4:3 picture stretch to fill 16:9 on the HDTV - but we're usually watching recorded shows in this mode.
rwmair,
I hear you. Have the issue with an HR-24 here and pretty experienced with aspect ratios, resolutions, etc. At first I thought it was because I was using a different brand converter (even though they all look the same, just re-branded). And especially since some say they have gotten the correct aspect ratio with this converter. But I guess not.

I even tried an S-video to composite converter for the S-video converter output on the converter just to see if it treated that output differently. No such luck.

Pretty frustrating. The SD channel idea was interesting but unfortunately as you mentioned, that only helps if you are watching something live. And then you'll have all of those SD channels listed on the HD TV also.

Perhaps someone else has a solution that does provide the correct aspect ratio. I am surprised there no mention of this issue in the "FAQ" on this subject, so I assumed it was just my setup for some reason.

Hopefully D* will hear the complaints and re-think this and perhaps provide a fix in a future update.

BJB

41 - 59 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.