DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 622 receiver that works fine, but I have to leave the cabinet door propped open because the thing puts out a tremendous amount of heat even when it is turned off. This cabinet has a stack of stuff in it, including a large receiver, and I've never had to prop the door open before, even when I was using the receiver (which I do not use with the 622). I'd love to just turn off the 622 at the power strip when I'm not watching TV because I know it must use more electricity than the refrigerator, but I understand that's a no-no.

The unit works fine, I can hear the fan, it's the ridiculously high amount of heat generated that I find unconsionable, and it annoys me to have to keep the door propped open after I designed a well-functioning cabinet to start with.

I dislike this one feature of the receiver enough to replace it, and one of the remote controls has worn out, giving me another excuse. If the 722 is a lot better on heat generated when the unit is turned "off," I'll replace it with a 722. Otherwise, I'll replace the remote and keep waiting. Or, should I just turn the thing off when I'm not watching TV and let it natter at me about having to update the program information? Or, am am I missing something that would reduce the standby power draw and heat output?

Thank you for your advice.

6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
O.K., thanks for telling me that the 722 is also hot. However, I have external (computer) hard disks that don't put out much heat at all, which is why I thought it might be possible to build a receiver that draws less power and generates less heat when it is "off," and that Dish might have done so with a more recent model than the one I have.

· Godfather
378 Posts
judyintexas said:
.....I have a 622 receiver that works fine, but I have to leave the cabinet door propped open because the thing puts out a tremendous amount of heat even when it is turned off.....
I am sure you have heard that before, but many of us have bought a laptop computer cooler to keep the receiver cooler. I bought one of the Targus Chill Mats for my 722k, but there are others, as well.

http://www.targus.com/us/productlis...pZHRoPTAmZGhlaWdodD0wJmxhc3RpdGVtPSZzb3J0Ynk9

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.