DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
5,046 Posts
Thats still too bad for him though. Heisman Trophy winner, a TON of potential, never got to play in the NFL.......sad.

From the way it sounds, it appears to me that he's doing the classy thing - not just clinging to a roster spot in order to milk game checks out of the Rams, but actually doing the honest, upright thing.

Something tells me this 'retirement' will be short lived. More than likely this was a strategic move done on his part so he can free himself up to go play QB(his preferred position) in Canada. We shall see though...

·
Hall Of Fame
13,242 Posts
What a wus. "I stubbed my toe and it hurts and I don't want to play any more." Crouch has gone from being the big hero in Nebraska to just another potential receiver for the Rams. And it turns out he needs to do a lot of work to play at the Pro level. I am sure he can make $300 grand in Nebraska doing endorsements. Maybe he can do the lecture circuit and talk about what its like to be a quitter.
Classy thing? The money is not an issue. He wasn't making that much. What hurts is that the Rams wasted a third round draft pick on this quitter. Does Crouch think he's the only rookie that wasn't going to get a lot of playing time. Orlando Pace, first round draft pick by the Rams, played relatively little his rookie year. Trung Canidate, injured in the preseason his rookie year, played very little and was largely ineffective when he did. Looks like he might start contributing more this year. Does that sound familiar? But Trung didn't "retire."
I was at the Husker's game August 31, when Crouch's jersey was retired. Love and adulation. Less than two weeks later he "retires." I don't think he could take the contrast. If he comes back, he better come back to the team that was willing to take a chance on him in the first place, and stick with it if he does.

·
AllStar
62 Posts
Yeah, I was also at the game when they retired Crouch's jersey. I really liked him and thought he would do very well in the NFL with enough time and patience.

I also remember when he went home to Omaha after Bobby Newcombe was named starting quarterback, so this is a bit of a pattern with him.

I wish him the best in what he does. He'll probably end up as a quarterback in the Canadian League if he doesn't go to work for UNL, which I hope he doesn't do.

Go Huskers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.