DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, hello old friends. I've been out of the loop for some time now so be easy on me. Been with DirecTV since 2006. I'm starting to take a serious look at adding to my install of mainly HR20's, 21's and 22's (probably replace one) with one of these Genie's.

Will a Genie play nicely in a world of all older HR series DVRs or am I opening a can of worms? Will I be able to watch items recorded on the Genie from my other HR DVR's on my network like I can today with the "Whole Home" service?

Thanks for any and all advice.

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
Radio Enginerd said:
First off, hello old friends. I've been out of the loop for some time now so be easy on me. Been with DirecTV since 2006. I'm starting to take a serious look at adding to my install of mainly HR20's, 21's and 22's (probably replace one) with one of these Genie's.

Will a Genie play nicely in a world of all older HR series DVRs or am I opening a can of worms? Will I be able to watch items recorded on the Genie from my other HR DVR's on my network like I can today with the "Whole Home" service?

Hey stranger!
You better be careful, as if you get an HR44, you'll start hating all the older DVRs. !rolling.

· Registered
5,952 Posts
Radio Enginerd said:

Yes, they work great together. Keep in mind you can't go over 8 total tuners without adding a SWIM 16.

Genie = 5 tunes
HRxx = 2 tuners
Hx = 1 tuner.

So, without adding a 16, you can have a Genie, one HD-DVR, and one HD receiver (which how I'm set up)

If you want to keep more than one HD-DVR in addition to the Genie, you will have to have a SWM 16 installed at the time of your appointment. No extra cost as far as I recall, but they do need to know what you are doing ahead of time, or they won't bring the right stuff!

p.s., nice to see you again!

· Registered
9,461 Posts
Radio Enginerd said:

A Genie is just like any other DVR. Just mo' tuners and mo' features.

A SWiM-8 has an 8-tuner limit. To keep two of your DVRs, DirecTV will need to swap out your SWiM-8 for a SWiM-16.

· Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very helpful information, thank you all. It looks like my biggest issue is going to be my SWM8.

I was going to jump on the Solid Signal deal they had the other day but I missed my opportunity. I'm not sure if I want to call DirecTV and start the process just yet. :) I assume they'll come out (or send) a SWM16 if they see my system is out of tuners. It's been 8+ years since DirecTV has been to my home so I don't even remember the process. :)

· Registered
31,115 Posts
Radio Enginerd said:
Very helpful information, thank you all. It looks like my biggest issue is going to be my SWM8.

I was going to jump on the Solid Signal deal they had the other day but I missed my opportunity. I'm not sure if I want to call DirecTV and start the process just yet. :) I assume they'll come out (or send) a SWM16 if they see my system is out of tuners. It's been 8+ years since DirecTV has been to my home so I don't even remember the process. :)
Yes...the SWiM16 will get you all sorts of expansion.

You can likely get them to install one if you don't have enough tuners...yes....

· Genius.
19,830 Posts
Radio Enginerd said:
I assume they'll come out (or send) a SWM16 if they see my system is out of tuners.
They will gladly install it but they def will not send it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.