DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the installation diagramfor the 5 LNB dish? My current 3 lnb sits in larger pole (5") that the installer said it couldn't be mounted on and it requires a 3" pole. They said they would have to charge me $75 for the pole, of which i can get for free from a buddy.
 

·
Mentor
Joined
·
64 Posts
Augmont said:
Does anyone have the installation diagramfor the 5 LNB dish? My current 3 lnb sits in larger pole (5") that the installer said it couldn't be mounted on and it requires a 3" pole. They said they would have to charge me $75 for the pole, of which i can get for free from a buddy.
Here is a link to the install manual if that helps.

AT9 Install pdf
 

·
You make it, We break it
Joined
·
4,722 Posts
Also in Step 4 on page 7:

It's not very clear on that page, but there are 3 tilt bolts that connect the mast mount to the LNB/Arm Antenna. Make sure you connect the mast mount to the LNB/Arm Antenna BEFORE you connect the dish. Otherwise you'll be fishing in a small space to try to connect those 3 tilt bolts from the LNB/Arm Antenna to the mast mount.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,340 Posts
I don't get it. The AT9 takes a 2 inch actual diameter pole.

If your current pole position has a good line of sight, all the installer needs to do is to clamp on an adapter pipe. That should be included in the FREE install.

$75? This guy needs to take a hike!
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike500 or anyone happen to know if the 5 LNB mounting braket is different then the 3 lnd? It just seems like they are the same.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
192 Posts
Augmont said:
Mike500 or anyone happen to know if the 5 LNB mounting braket is different then the 3 lnd? It just seems like they are the same.
The mounting bracket is significantly bigger on the 5LNB than it is on the 3LNB. The 5LNB uses a 2" mast whereas I think the 3LNB uses the same mast as the original 1LNB dishes (I think 1.5" mast but I'm not positive). The mast is not only thicker but it is also probably about a foot longer (maybe a little less). This is all in reference to the Slimline 5LNB, but I suspect the AT9 probably uses the same mast.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,340 Posts
The older Phase I, II and III dishes had 1-5/8" actual outer diameter mounting poles.

The mounting foot pattern of the later SuperDishes has the same foot mounting foot pattern and spacing as the older DirecTV dishes, as well as the Dish300, 500 anf 1000.
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
83 Posts
Mike500 said:
I don't get it. The AT9 takes a 2 inch actual diameter pole.

If your current pole position has a good line of sight, all the installer needs to do is to clamp on an adapter pipe. That should be included in the FREE install.

$75? This guy needs to take a hike!
You know I was never able to find a 2"OD pole, but you saw my solution :p (1 5/8" fence post tripod with 1/2"x4" bolts drilled through it - a hurricane wouldn't move it!)

I wonder if anyone knows a source for 2"OD poles... Not that i'd change anything, but i'm curious now.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,340 Posts
A 2" actual diameter galvanized steel pole is readily available at any supplier that sells "commercial" chain link fence line post.

You have to look at the yellow pages. It even comes in green, used in public parks.

You cannot get these at Home Depot or Lowe's.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
kay said:
You know I was never able to find a 2"OD pole, but you saw my solution :p (1 5/8" fence post tripod with 1/2"x4" bolts drilled through it - a hurricane wouldn't move it!)

I wonder if anyone knows a source for 2"OD poles... Not that i'd change anything, but i'm curious now.
Kay......do you have a pic?
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
410 Posts
Ricka said:
I lucked up and had an old swingset that i needed to take down anyway. The posts on it were 2" OD.
Were they the old 70s swirl of color around the pole type? It would be funny to see a dish attached to one of those.:lol:
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
22 Posts
These are probably noob questions but I could use the help.

I currently have an SD Directv/Tivo & I want to upgrade to the HD Directv/DVR when I get my new 46" 1080p Sony Bravia XBR3 next week.

Do you have to install a separate antenna attachment
to the 5-LNB Multi-Satellite dish in order to access local
HD channels or is that already built into the dish?

How many cables will feed down from the 5-LNB? My
current dish has two cables currently for satellite 1
& 2. Will I have 4 cables with this new dish...2 for
satellite & 2 for the local HD?

I was trying to get some info while I was Best Buy
today & the salesman mentioned that the "Off-Air In"
input on the back of the HD/DVR was disabled. Is that
true & if yes, why?

Occasionally there a three TV shows that I want to see
that are playing at the same time. Is it possible to split
the local HD cable directly into the television so the DVR
could record two shows & I could watch the third from
another input on my HDTV?

Do you know if there is a software patch that will upgrade
the HR20 to a dual-buffer like the Directv/Tivo box?
 

·
Éminence grise
Joined
·
8,473 Posts
One satellite (101) is used for national and local SD. 110 is used for national HD, 119 is national HD plus some local SD and LA/NYC HD locals. The two new satellites at 99 and 103 are use for local HD and regional sports network HD. Two addtional satellites at those locations will be launched next year providing additional local and national HD channels.

Up to four cables are required from the dish. These will feed four tuners (1 per standard receiver, 2 per DVR). If you need more, the four cables need to be run to a multiswitch with 8, 12 or 16 outputs, depending on model. If you only have one DVR, two cables will be needed. In any case, for OTA digital locals you will need an additional cable.

The OTA input on the HR20 is disabled, but is expected to be activated very soon (the software apparently wasn't ready). Hopefully dual buffers will be activated as well in a software update.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
22 Posts
bobnielsen said:
One satellite (101) is used for national and local SD. 110 is used for national HD, 119 is national HD plus some local SD and LA/NYC HD locals. The two new satellites at 99 and 103 are use for local HD and regional sports network HD. Two addtional satellites at those locations will be launched next year providing additional local and national HD channels.

Up to four cables are required from the dish. These will feed four tuners (1 per standard receiver, 2 per DVR). If you need more, the four cables need to be run to a multiswitch with 8, 12 or 16 outputs, depending on model. If you only have one DVR, two cables will be needed. In any case, for OTA digital locals you will need an additional cable.

The OTA input on the HR20 is disabled, but is expected to be activated very soon (the software apparently wasn't ready). Hopefully dual buffers will be activated as well in a software update.
I called Directv and asked how many cables would be connected to a 5-LNB & after putting my on hold for about 5 minutes she told me only two cables are needed for the two satellite feeds & the local HD... unbelievable.
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
71 Posts
bobnielsen said:
..........................The OTA input on the HR20 is disabled, but is expected to be activated very soon (the software apparently wasn't ready)....................
Does this require an adjacent "regular" antenna? Or does the dish pull in the OTA singal?
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top