DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided my HR10-250 was toast, so I braved the upacking and connecting of my new HR20-700 myself. Plugged the same 3 Component cables and the 2 RCA Audio cables from the Mitsu WD-6228 into the new box but got no picture. Called, but got no help from D*, even after getting bumped up 3 levels. Haven't connected the 2 BBC convertor boxes yet, but right now, all I'm getting is a mass of colored lines but no picture. Also, the screen format lights are jumping from one to another without ever deciding which rez to be on.
Can anyone help me get this thing working?

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Are you getting any picture at all? Have you double checked that the component cables were connected to the same colored ports? Have you tried with an RCA or S-video cable to see if you get a signal that way?

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
If it's old enough, could it still be coming up? I thought before a certiain code level there was no sign of what was happening and then it suddenly came up. How long are you giving it to come up?

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Goodwood said:
Decided my HR10-250 was toast, so I braved the upacking and connecting of my new HR20-700 myself. Plugged the same 3 Component cables and the 2 RCA Audio cables from the Mitsu WD-6228 into the new box but got no picture. Called, but got no help from D*, even after getting bumped up 3 levels. Haven't connected the 2 BBC convertor boxes yet, but right now, all I'm getting is a mass of colored lines but no picture. Also, the screen format lights are jumping from one to another without ever deciding which rez to be on.
Can anyone help me get this thing working?
I'm with PoitNarf, you may have one or more of your component cables reversed or not connected ...this is a VERY common problem and your symptoms of a "mass of colored lines" sort of fits.

The other thing to try is another set of cables. Then I would manually try to set the output resolution of the HR20 to 720P and see if you get a valid video signal to the TV.

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hasan said:
I'm with PoitNarf, you may have one or more of your component cables reversed or not connected ...this is a VERY common problem and your symptoms of a "mass of colored lines" sort of fits.

The other thing to try is another set of cables. Then I would manually try to set the output resolution of the HR20 to 720P and see if you get a valid video signal to the TV.
Yep, RGB Comp cables were reversed! :eek2: Got the menu now! Thanks for that.
Stay tuned for more questions!
Edit, got another question. The box came with 2 BBC in-line connectors. Do I need those connected, and if so, where? I've been told by the sat subcontractor that OTA channels are available in my area (West Palm Beach FL)

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Goodwood said:
Yep, RGB Comp cables were reversed! :eek2: Got the menu now! Thanks for that.
Stay tuned for more questions!
Edit, got another question. The box came with 2 BBC in-line connectors. Do I need those connected, and if so, where? I've been told by the sat subcontractor that OTA channels are available in my area (West Palm Beach FL)
Glad you got it fixed. The b-band converters plug into each sat input on the back on the HR20, and then hook your sat lines into the back of the converters. They aren't needed now, but will be required when the other 2 satellites go up next year. Hook them up and see if everything works.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
jerkieman said:
What will they be required for next year ?
I'm assuming you did a typo and put what instead of why, as the question doesn't make sense the way it's worded. They'll be needed next year to convert the signal from the new sats into a frequency range that the HR20 will be able to detect.

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got no red coming through, only Green and Blue. I've unplugged and replugged the Red RGB Comp cable several times now, but still no red. Checked it at the TV by unplugging and replugging there too. Cable signal has all the colors, just not the Sat.

EDIT: ok, got that fixed too. Seems I had the Red Audio Monster cable mixed up with the Red Monster Video cable. DOH! (They look exactly the same, and are all bundled together. btw, and the Monster audio cables aren't in use atm. They're for the stereo which isn't hooked up yet. i'm running off the TV speakers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.