DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Icon
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone help me, as I want to copy VHS tapes, that are production tapes that are no longer made, to dvd by the use of my computer..

I could use some software advise or what ever you can tell me..

I am not looking to resell anything, I am looking to preserve things that are one of a kind and no longer available..

Thanks in advance..

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,484 Posts
You would be amazed at what is actually available on DVD.

What you need is a video capture device (as opposed to a TV tuner) and great gobs of free time. It ends up being very similar to dubbing tapes (every bit as painful).

A more straightforward (and possibly cheaper) method would be to buy a DVD-R unit and dub the tapes that way.

If your VCR isn't particularly new, I would suggest getting one with S-VHS output capability.

I don't recommend trying to do serious video capture on a notebook computer.

·
Old Guys Rule!
5,053 Posts
I've done some amazingly good copies to DVD using a Panasonic DVD recorder/VCR combination. The other day, I copied a VHS tape that I'd recorded off the air of the final Johnny Carson show back in 1992. I then played it back on my 55 inch Sony RP LCD HDTV, with the audio going through my home theater system. I was pleasantly surprised at both the video and sound quality. I could have hooked a VCR up to my computer and used Nero Ultra to do the transfer, but the DVD recorder/VCR has a one touch dubbing feature that makes the copy operation a no brainer.

·
Icon
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
some of the tapes I have, have macro vision to prevent copying.. these are one of a kind production tapes that are no longer made.. that's what I am trying to preserve. Because tape is fleeting.. and vcr's (especially nice ones) are getting hard to come by..

that's why I wanted to know if there is software like this dvd x copy or something similar to use to make the tapes come out decent.. If I knew that this was only a tape prevention process, I would buy a standard Dvd recorder in a heartbeat.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,363 Posts
Macrovision can easily be eliminated by processing the video through any Frame store synchronizer, similar to a TBC (time base corrector). These are even sold as consumer devices on the internet. But I'm afraid that if you can find the program on DVD it will be cheaper to go that route than the trouble yopu will have making all those dubs. I've never tried it but theoretically, digitizing the video using a VCR playback into a firewire converter such as the devices made by pinacle and then rendering that avi file out to a DVD authoring process will also work but oh, my the time it will take!

·
Legend/Supporter
750 Posts
There are many choices to 'avoid' macrovision..... see:
http://www.biline.ca/macrovision.htm

Since I use an x64 PC to do my capturing, I use the Hauppauge PVR150 as the 250 doesn't have 64-bit drivers! Works perfectly in conjunction with Cyberlink's PowerDirector.

Using a digital camcorder as a pass thru device may or may not work. My Panasonic PVDV800 camcorder is perfectly capable of detecting macrovision which is why I did more research... and found the solution linked above. I also keep an older AGP 64mb Radeon VIVO card which works with the hacked drivers the author mentions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.