DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Crivens!
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been acting flakey the last couple of days. Had an unwatchable show yesterday morning, so I did an RBR. This morning I went to turn it on (it's generally off overnight) and it hung during start up - LED circle lit, but unresponsive to the remote, and no output signal to the TV.

So I unplugged it for 15 minutes, and plugged it back in. The power light comes on, it the component outputs come on (the TV goes from "no signal" to black screen) and there it sticks. No other lights, no other screen display.

Can anyone suggest some very detailed and specific steps to take before I call D* and demand they overnight me a replacement? Needs to happen fast, as the window for having a box for this weekend's games is closing fast!

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Try the same routine (unplug, leave, retry) again in half an hour. Also if you can, try disconnecting the component cables and running S-Video or composite video.

Don't hesitate to ask for a replacement, though. I had a similar experience and was treated very well by D*. I had the replacement in 2 business days.

·
RBR Hitit tillit bricksit
266 Posts
Sound like yours bit the dust just as mine did. Several others as well.

Tell them to send you a new one.

Good luck getting one before next week. They absolutely will not ship next day air, they only do 2 day FEDEX. Some people get them in one day because of their location and what warehouse it shipped from.

One note. Go online while on the phone with them and check your "orders" to make sure they actually get the order into the OMS. Otherwise you may never get it.

Hey! This is my 100th post :icon_da:

·
Crivens!
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lamontcranston said:
Try the same routine (unplug, leave, retry) again in half an hour. Also if you can, try disconnecting the component cables and running S-Video or composite video.

Don't hesitate to ask for a replacement, though. I had a similar experience and was treated very well by D*. I had the replacement in 2 business days.
Thanks, I didn't post until my 3rd attempt failed. I think I'll be demanding a new box ASAP.

(That is, if I ever get to speak to an actual person instead of listening to on-hold music.)

·
Crivens!
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brantel said:
Good luck getting one before next week. They absolutely will not ship next day air, they only do 2 day FEDEX. Some people get them in one day because of their location and what warehouse it shipped from.
I don't know how it will play out, since I can't seem to figure out how to get through to an actual person instead of annoyingly poor and poor quality music interrupted by ads and annoying reminders about things I don't want to do. (Why, when I'm hold for tech support, clearly with a problem, would I need to be reminded that I can order PPV on-line? NOT IF THE BOX WON'T WORK, PINHEADS!!!)

Anyway, I am going to be pressing quite hard for them to let me go to one of the local stores that has one in stock and pick up a replacement myself.

It's too bad for DirecTV. With a bunch of cable-using family coming in tomorrow, this was a chance to show off the service, including a handful of HD programs I had saved specifically to show them. Instead, they'll hear my complaints about how this box is clearly not ready for prime time, and they should stick with what they've got, or go DishNetwork if they really want Satellite or good HD.

Anyone have any suggestions on a phone number to call and buttons to press to get through to an actual person? Been 15 minutes on the customer retention line so far with no end in sight.

·
266 Posts
I have a phone number and pin that is good for one day.

Gets you straight to levelII

1-800-695-9251 pin 2455

Good luck!

·
Mentor
34 Posts
I had trouble with one of my HR20's where it was dead and wouldn't reboot. I spent an hour on the phone with tech support and they gave up and said they would sent a new box. After waiting for a week with no new box, I took the B band converters (or whatever their called) off and tried again and it came up and has been fine ever since. I never called tech support and the "promised" box never arrived. Surprise surprise.

Good luck.

·
266 Posts
Tried that too. Did not work.

·
266 Posts
Yep, that as well.. No luck.

·
Crivens!
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Brantel said:
Tried that too. Did not work.
Ditto. B-Bands are off, I'm using the S-Video outputs, there's no network or phone cable connected - it's as bare bones as I can make it and still (in theory) get sound and picture. No joy.

Thanks for the contact info - it only took a couple of minutes to get through to a live person. They switched me to the HiDef DVR tech support line, and after I described my problem she went away to "research" it. Fingers crossed....

·
Crivens!
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
GA20646 said:
did you try to reformat? Yes, it loses all your settings and recordings but they're probably gone now anyway.
I can't reformat, since I can't get the box to boot that far.

Update: They have agreed to replace the box, now she's checking to see if we can do it my way (I go buy a replacement and then return their box for credit).

Update: They have agreed to do it my way, but the CSR needs an authorization to credit my account, so they're working on that.

Update: Apparently, the shoe is on the other foot, as the CSR says she can't get the same answer twice in a row. I'd enjoy the karmic balancing if we weren't burning through my cell minutes.

·
Crivens!
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, it seems like we're all good. They've credited my D* account for the original lease cost and shipping, and are sending me a return shipping box. Now all I need is for the local Best Buy to confirm that it is in stock as their web site said when I placed my on-line store pick-up order, and we're good to go.

Sucks that I have lost all the nice HiDef content I had recorded and saved to show off to my cable/SD family members. :(

·
266 Posts
How did it wind up?

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
Just J said:
OK, it seems like we're all good. They've credited my D* account for the original lease cost and shipping, and are sending me a return shipping box. Now all I need is for the local Best Buy to confirm that it is in stock as their web site said when I placed my on-line store pick-up order, and we're good to go.

Sucks that I have lost all the nice HiDef content I had recorded and saved to show off to my cable/SD family members. :(
Great! Fill us in when you get your new box up and running.

·
Crivens!
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
brott said:
Great! Fill us in when you get your new box up and running.
Brantel said:
How did it wind up?
Thanks, guys! Especially Brantel, for the phone number and PIN - I suspect I'd still be on the phone the first time without that.

The new box is in, updated, and activated. I'm in full-on prophylactic mode at the moment. :D

Once the new box was updated and activated, I did a Reset Everything and repeated Guided Setup (this time, with full OTA support). Once that was done and I had done a cursory verification that everything seemed to be working well, I unplugged it and am in the middle of a 15 minute time-out to encourage the box to behave going forward. :grin:

Once it comes out of the time out, I will be re-configuring my favorites, resetting Parental controls, Dolby, and other settings, and queuing up this evening's recordings. I figure no point even trying to set up my Series Links until the guide has had more time to load.

So, for the moment, crisis averted! I can watch the Bears on Sunday, show a little HD to my technologically challenged family members, and generally not spend the Christmas holiday piling up negative psychic karma by nuking D* over and over in my head. :D

Oh, and FWIW, the new box is still silver and came with the RC34 remote, and with 0xBE software (I think my previous box started with 0xAC).

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
Just J said:
So, for the moment, crisis averted! I can watch the Bears on Sunday, show a little HD to my technologically challenged family members, and generally not spend the Christmas holiday piling up negative psychic karma by nuking D* over and over in my head. :D
Glad to hear things worked out (so far). I'm ready to nominate you for go-getter of the year.

<-- Couldn't resist

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.