DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
New Member
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I am trying to figure out how much 12 months of HD from Dish Network would cost me. I am trying to convince the wife to switch from Time Warner (our deal with them is running out).

I am a new customer, so I need all of the equipment and I want the ViP622. Here is what I have figured:

Activation: 49.99 x 1 = 49.99
DVR : 199.99 x 1 = 199.99
DishHD Gold: 69.99 x 12 = 839.88 (can I get FSN without going to Gold?)
Equipment Fee: 5.98 x 12 = 71.76
---------------
Subtotal: 1161.62
$200 rebate: -200.00
---------------
Total: 961.62

Total per month 80.14 + taxes and fees

My question is, what are the typical "taxes and fees" on a monthly Dish bill (so I can compare to my current Time Warner Cable bill)? If anyone in Texas could comment, I would appreciate it. Also, if anyone can comment on my math, please do so.

It may be a bad fit because we watch little TV besides sports and kids programming. My kids need Noggin, and I need FSN, so I have to go to Gold just to get FSN.

Cheers,

Ed.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
17 Posts
I don't have the vip622 yet but I think they hit you with a dvr fee and a $6 lease fee.Also Does the HD price include locals ? if not, $5 more.This all assumes you have no more than 2 tv's
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,114 Posts
:welcome_s to DBSTalk.

Your figures are correct for HD Gold, but HD Silver at $59.99 comes with regional sports (Bronze doesn't). There's $120. You would NOT pay a lease fee as a new subscriber if the 622 is your only receiver.

You can save the $50 activation fee but what you outlined matches what you would pay if you chose to not commit to 18 months. That is a "Pay $50, nothing credited". If you do a normal 18 month commit, it is "Pay $50, $50 credit on 1st bill". As long as you are doing the 18 month, you are better off to go with a ClubDISH setup that is "Pay nothing, $50 credit on 1st bill". Check for a PM with ClubDISH info, but remember that you should check friends and family for DISH subscribers as there is a $5/month * 10 benefit to the giver as well. ClubDISH is $100 less than your "Pay $49.99".

The $200 rebate might not be fully returned in the 1st 12 months. It is a paperwork thing like other rebates and when it kicks in, you start getting a $10 credit each month. It is POSSIBLE you won't have the 10th credit after a year but in principle you'd get $200 back.

I can't help with TX taxes.
 

·
New Member
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all of the helpful information. However,

CABill said:
:welcome_s to DBSTalk.

Your figures are correct for HD Gold, but HD Silver at $59.99 comes with regional sports (Bronze doesn't). There's $120. You would NOT pay a lease fee as a new subscriber if the 622 is your only receiver.
The comparison here at the website

http://www.dishnetwork.com/popups/programming/comparison/hd/index.asp

has "regional sports" as a Gold/Platinum only. Is this incorrect?

Cheers,

Ed.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
53,146 Posts
Silver has the RSNs. Only the Bronze package is missing them.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,114 Posts
Yep, that comparison page is hosed up. It is also pretty hard to look at for very long! Whether I compare ATxx packages or DishHD packages, that page doesn't show it included with AT120 or HD Silver. I've honestly never looked at that page before.
I'd suggest going to the website, then Programming tab, Basic Packages, AT120. Should take you to http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/..._100/index.asp?viewby=1&packid=10041&sortby=1 that will list bunches of RSNs with a footnote that doesn't adequately explain that you won't get ALL of them. Add $20 to an AT package for its DishHD equivalent.

Or use Search on the website for "regional sports". 1st result I get is
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/blackout/faq/
Regional Sports Networks: Regional Sports Networks are only provided to customers who subscribe to America's Top 60 Plus or above​
AT60+ is AT60 with locals and RSN for $10 more than AT60. No DishHD equivalent, but it sounds like that would fit your needs if it existed.

You didn't meniton Boomerang, NickToons, Discovery Kids - those are AT180 or HD Gold or better. The kids need those channels?
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
77 Posts
CABill said:
:welcome_s to DBSTalk.

Your figures are correct for HD Gold, but HD Silver at $59.99 comes with regional sports (Bronze doesn't). There's $120. You would NOT pay a lease fee as a new subscriber if the 622 is your only receiver.

I'm in Texas, have a leased 622, my only receiver, my last bill is as follows:
leased receiver fee 6.00
Dvr service fee 5.98
Dish HD Silver with locals 64.99
State/local tax 4.18
Total: 81.15

(I'm not sure how the tax is computed, I can't get it to come out figuring only state sales tax (6.25%, I think) but that will give you an idea. Also, IIRC, everyone pays a lease fee of $6.00 monthly for the 622, unless you buy one. I'm not aware of new subscribers not having to pay the $6 lease fee. )
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,114 Posts
ubankit said:
Also, IIRC, everyone pays a lease fee of $6.00 monthly for the 622, unless you buy one. I'm not aware of new subscribers not having to pay the $6 lease fee. )
You must have picked up your leased 622 as an existing subscriber. Existing subscribers pay a $6 lease fee no matter what on a 622 (any ViP). NEW subscribers only pay a $6 lease fee if they have TWO ViP receivers on their account.
See http://www.dishtv.com/terms_dha04.jsp

Equipment Rental Fee: An equipment rental fee of $6.00 per month (in the case of a model 411, ViP211, ViP222, or ViP622 DVR receiver) or $5.00 per month (in all other cases) for the first receiver activated is included in the promotional base programming package price. An additional equipment rental fee of $6.00 per month (in the case of a model 411, ViP211, ViP222, or ViP622 DVR receiver) or $5.00 per month (in all other cases) will be charged to your account for each receiver activated beyond the first (for the purpose of determining the amount of this fee, model 411, ViP211, ViP222, and ViP622 DVR receivers shall be deemed to be activated prior to all other receivers);
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
77 Posts
CABill said:
You must have picked up your leased 622 as an existing subscriber. Existing subscribers pay a $6 lease fee no matter what on a 622 (any ViP). NEW subscribers only pay a $6 lease fee if they have TWO ViP receivers on their account.
See http://www.dishtv.com/terms_dha04.jsp

Equipment Rental Fee: An equipment rental fee of $6.00 per month (in the case of a model 411, ViP211, ViP222, or ViP622 DVR receiver) or $5.00 per month (in all other cases) for the first receiver activated is included in the promotional base programming package price. An additional equipment rental fee of $6.00 per month (in the case of a model 411, ViP211, ViP222, or ViP622 DVR receiver) or $5.00 per month (in all other cases) will be charged to your account for each receiver activated beyond the first (for the purpose of determining the amount of this fee, model 411, ViP211, ViP222, and ViP622 DVR receivers shall be deemed to be activated prior to all other receivers);
Yes, I was an existing customer, that explains the $6 lease fee. IMO, I would rather lease than buy the 622, think it's a better deal for me.
One other "fee" that wasn't mentioned is the $5 monthly charge if your 622 receiver isn't connected to a phone line, be aware of that so you can factor it in if necessary.
 

·
New Member
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the useful information. I have another question. As noted above, the rebates may start a considerable time after I activate. If I don't like the service, and want to cancel after 10 months, what is the guarantee that I will have *any* of my rebate money back. From what I read here:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/promotion/100backfaqs/index.shtml

they can basically hold my rebate "ransom" ad infinitum, with me forced to keep the service in the hope that the rebate will someday appear. How can I, in good faith, use the rebate in my calculations if I have no guarantee of getting it back within some reasonable allotted time (e.g. 12 months?)

Cheers,

Ed.
 

·
New Member
Joined
·
2 Posts
I'd like to mention that I'm a newish (August) subscriber, and I sent the rebate in ASAP and received my first credits on my second bill.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top