DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been with TWC in KC for 12+ years. I beta tested their DVR boxes, thir HD boxes, and their HD DVR Boxes.

After years of leading the HD content race in the KC area (in my humble opinion), I've came to the conclussion that it is likely time to move to DirecTV.

Our home is fairly new, with single coax drop home runs to all locations that would require and a clear view of the birds is easily obtained.

The issue that I'm having trouble with is determining pricing after any selected 'special price' ends. The side bar on the website shows the special pricing, for 4,6 or 12 months, but I can't find any indication of what it does after that. I have a really good price locked in with TWC (long story), and i want to make sure DTV will be comparable.

So my questions are:

1. Where can I find accurate pricing, once the promotion period ends?
2. I will want HD/DVR service, do the DVR's support room to room, or do I need a DVR for each location?
3. I assume the new equipment will be MPEG-4?
4. Any other tips?

Thank you!

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
KCCraash said:
2. I will want HD/DVR service, do the DVR's support room to room, or do I need a DVR for each location?
No MRV yet. So you'll need a DVR in each room

KCCraash said:
3. I assume the new equipment will be MPEG-4?
As long as they are HD or HD DVR then yes it is MPEG4

KCCraash said:
4. Any other tips?
D* DVRs need 2 lines per DVR. But new technology is being rolled out to allow one line DVR operation. Eligebility is determined at order time by the computer system.

· Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mertzen said:
No MRV yet. So you'll need a DVR in each room

As long as they are HD or HD DVR then yes it is MPEG4

D* DVRs need 2 lines per DVR. But new technology is being rolled out to allow one line DVR operation. Eligebility is determined at order time by the computer system.
Thank for you the response!

Is eligebility for the single line DVR determined by location, or hardware availability?

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
Packages

Family - 50 channels - 29.99
Choice - 150 channels 52.99
Choice Xtra - 200 channels 57.99
Plus DVR - 62.99
(Choice Xtra + DVR service)

Plus HD DVR = 72.99
(Choice Xtra + DVR + HD)

Premier 250+ channels 104.99

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
KCCraash said:
Thank for you the response!

Is eligebility for the single line DVR determined by location, or hardware availability?
More by your order. If you only order 4 tuners worth of equipment you aren't eligible. For 5 or more you are. And you also have to be in the rollout area. But those are getting bigger and bigger.

8 Posts
Mertzen said:
I must be behind on times, but what is this new technology that only requires one line? Does it still let you record one show and watch a different one? And can you expand on the eligibility part?

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
dacin said:
I must be behind on times, but what is this new technology that only requires one line? Does it still let you record one show and watch a different one? And can you expand on the eligibility part?
IT is called Single Wire Multiswitch

do a search on SWM

· Icon
732 Posts
curt8403 said:
Packages

Family - 50 channels - 29.99
Choice - 150 channels 52.99
Choice Xtra - 200 channels 57.99
Plus DVR - 62.99
(Choice Xtra + DVR service)

Plus HD DVR = 72.99
(Choice Xtra + DVR + HD)

Premier 250+ channels 104.99
$4.99 for each additional receiver (after the first one)
$9.99 for HD access, if it's not included in your basic package
$5 for HD Extra Pack (a package of additional HD channels)

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
Bob Coxner said:
hd ACCESS is per account
DVR service is 5.99 per account.
En Espanol (spanish) is 19.99
Setanta is 14.99
HBO is 14
Starz/showtime/Cinemax/sports is 12

Outdoor channel is 2.99

· Legend
137 Posts
Bob Coxner said:
+5.99 for DVR if not included with package.

So premier with DVR and HD is 120.97 or 125.96 with HD extra, plus 4.99 each add't receiver.

edit:whoops 5.99 not 9.99

· Almost a new member
427 Posts
66stang351 said:
The only way to guarantee that you get a SWM and thereby the ability to run a DVR on one line is to buy it yourself prior to getting DIRECTV installed.

Eligibility is a factor of tuners(5-8) and location.
And keep in mind that you can only have 8 tuners MAX with this config. The DVR's are all dual tuner.

How many TV's do you have now?

· Mentor
33 Posts
Bob Coxner said:
what is in the HD extra pack, I havent seen it on the site and I'm only billed for the 9.99 hd access (well I got it free for a year)

· Almost a new member
427 Posts
87vert said:
what is in the HD extra pack, I havent seen it on the site and I'm only billed for the 9.99 hd access (well I got it free for a year)
Look under Premiums.

· Hall Of Fame
2,012 Posts
As someone who lives in a market served, incompetently IMO, by Time-Warner Cable and since I rarely watch The Weather Channel, about as boring as The Clock Channel, I always think Time-Warner Cable when I see TWC. Terminating both is fine by me.

· Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
66stang351 said:
The only way to guarantee that you get a SWM and thereby the ability to run a DVR on one line is to buy it yourself prior to getting DIRECTV installed.

Eligibility is a factor of tuners(5-8) and location.
Which hardware would I want to look for in this instance? The H22?

Do the rebates that you see online typically apply if you buy it yourself?

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
KCCraash said:
Which hardware would I want to look for in this instance? The H22?

Do the rebates that you see online typically apply if you buy it yourself?
Well all the current HD hardware that is in the supply chain, both new and refurbed is compatible. But if you would get SD boxes where there might be non SWM equipment out there [ refurbed D11s and R15s ] you might want to get those at BB.
As for rebate call a CSR.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.