DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Legend
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called in today to change from the old grandfathered Total choice to Choice Extra before it expires today.

The CSR told me that he couldn't change my base package without also changing my expired premium package. I have a very old combined HBO/Cinemax package that I pay $23 per month for. So, in addition to the package change price increase, I would also have a premium channel price increase of $3-4 a month.

Question for the board is: Is this legitimate, and I need to pay more for premiums since I can't keep the grandfathered packages, or do I need to play the CSR roulette game and try again?

· Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
Changing your base package normally results in loss of anything grandfathered and tied to that base package. You might check with another CSR, but I'm pretty sure they will (a) confirm what you were already told or (b) not have a clue.

· Legend
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
masterdeals said:
Did you try changing your base package online? I know it won't let you add/remove premiums with a grandfathered package, but I thought you could change the base package to a current one.
Just changed it online. It didn't say anything about the premium packages or anything else changing, so hopefully it took. I'll call in later to make sure everything is okay. Odd that I can do something on-line that a CSR cannot.

· 1*
9,917 Posts
z28lt1 said:
Just changed it online. It didn't say anything about the premium packages or anything else changing, so hopefully it took. I'll call in later to make sure everything is okay. Odd that I can do something on-line that a CSR cannot.
Just curious, why are you changing your base package? As long as you don't change it, you can keep it indefinitely, even if DirecTV does not offer it anymore. I still have my Total Choice Plus package.

- Merg

· Legend
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Merg said:
Just curious, why are you changing your base package? As long as you don't change it, you can keep it indefinitely, even if DirecTV does not offer it anymore. I still have my Total Choice Plus package.

- Merg
Because I have the old Total Choice (not plus). The next package up, Choice Extra is losing channels tomorrow, so if I ever wanted to change to that package, doing it today nets me more channels than doing it tomorrow for the same cost.

As a side note the old Total Choice has more channels that the equivalent Choice package available today, and was a tiny bit cheaper for everyone but me. I posted on here about two years ago when it happened but my package got "slammed" to a new package without my approval. I immediately noticed, as I lost some channels in the old Total choice, and called in. I spoke to 3 agents and 2 supervisors and none of them could get my package exactly how I had it. I had Total Choice/No locals (which they gave me back) plus a local package for $3. They all claimed no way to give me locals back for $3, but only could give it to me for $6. So, I've been paying $3 too much for two years. They noted the account, and I call back every 6 months for credits, and have always gotten it, usually for more than the $3 that I'm overpaying, but it seems like you can call and get credits anyway, so I'm tired of that game as well.

· Hall Of Fame
7,054 Posts
Personally, I got tired of dealing with the issues with trying to maintain the old grandfathered package...and be able to fully manage my account on-line, etc...couldn't make any premium package changes etc...I kept TC+ until Nov. 2011..I'm actually paying almost exactly the same(maybe $1 more) and less hassles if I want to change something. I'm not going to waste my time over $15 or $20 a year....my time is worth way more than that.

· Legend
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CCarncross said:
Personally, I got tired of dealing with the issues with trying to maintain the old grandfathered package...and be able to fully manage my account on-line, etc...couldn't make any premium package changes etc...I kept TC+ until Nov. 2011..I'm actually paying almost exactly the same(maybe $1 more) and less hassles if I want to change something. I'm not going to waste my time over $15 or $20 a year....my time is worth way more than that.
I somewhat agree, and would have done it a while ago as well, but my issue was not just the extra $, but that there were a number of channels in my grandfathered package that were not in the new package. So I would actually pay more money for less channels. The old Total Choice had about 8-10 channels that the newer Choice did not including WGN, Slueth, Fuel, OXeygen, Chiller, Speed, etc. So I certainly did not want to pay more and lose those.
I understand the old Total Choice Plus and Choice Extra were equivalent, so it is strictly financial for those on the Plus/Extra packages.

· Legend
274 Posts
z28lt1 said:
I somewhat agree, and would have done it a while ago as well, but my issue was not just the extra $, but that there were a number of channels in my grandfathered package that were not in the new package. So I would actually pay more money for less channels. The old Total Choice had about 8-10 channels that the newer Choice did not including WGN, Slueth, Fuel, OXeygen, Chiller, Speed, etc. So I certainly did not want to pay more and lose those.
I understand the old Total Choice Plus and Choice Extra were equivalent, so it is strictly financial for those on the Plus/Extra packages.
Thank You! Best explaination yet.......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.