DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered my dish and receiver 6 weeks ago. The dish was supposed to be installed on Thursday. My current dish is chimney mounted. When the installer came, it became obvious he did not want to chimney mount it, so he said the house would get in the way of the new 99 degree satellite. I got the compass out. The side of my house is 179 degrees from the north. I know the new dish is bigger, but my current dish is no where close to being blocked by the edge of the house. He left without installing the dish.
I called DTV, who called Ironwood Communications. I think Ironwood does not want to make the installer look bad-they were very, very argumentative on the phone. Finally, after about 2 hours of trying to get someone-either DTV or Ironwood give me the dish, which I already paid for, and let me install it, conversations ended with no solution.
Does any one have any suggestions?
Thanks

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
When you order the dish and receiver from DIRECTV for $299 the dish and install are free, so the dish isn't really "already paid for". The receiver alone would cost you $299 at BESTBUY or CIRCUITCITY or where ever if you'd buy it on your own.

I bought an AT9 for $85 (dish +shipping) from a dealer on EBAY.

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I tried to order this back in Sept., DTV told me I had to order the receiver from Best Buy, which I did. The installation was free, but the dish was not.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
"When you order the dish and receiver from DIRECTV for $299 the dish and install are free, so the dish isn't really "already paid for". The receiver alone would cost you $299 at BESTBUY or CIRCUITCITY or where ever if you'd buy it on your own."

Most people on this forum get the dish and installation free from D* even if they do get the receiver elsewhere. Did D* not offer this when you called for activation?

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
When I called DIRECTV to inquire about the HR20 I said - It's $299 for the HR20, how much for the dish ? The person on the phone said - It's all included, AT9 dish, HR20, and installation for $299.

They wouldn't just send it out to me. I was supposed to schedule a pro install(hack install most of the time from what I've read here). I didn't want to wait around all day to watch someone else do the same thing I could do on my own. I bought an HR20 at CIRCUITCITY and bought an AT9 dish from a dealer.

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My questions are three-fold: 1) Does the 3LNB dish I currently have have the same approximate angle aimed at the satellites as the AT-9 dish. I realize that the 99degree satellite is going to be aimed slightly to the left. It appears that there would be quite a bit of room before the side of my house gets in the way. Again, my house is about 178 degrees north to south.
2) How can I get DTV to get Ironwood Communications to do the install.
3) If they still won't, and I can get a dish, how do I install it without a satellite meter, which I think costs about $300?

Thanks for your guidence.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
1,135 Posts
After putting mine up, it is closer to the single LNB dish angle because the 101
is in the center of the LNB again.

You can just complain to DirecTV, they helped me.

You can point the dish by using a DirecTV receiver and its signal meter, that's how
I have always done it.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,038 Posts
Barry in KC said:
Does the 3LNB dish I currently have have the same approximate angle aimed at the satellites as the AT-9 dish. I realize that the 99degree satellite is going to be aimed slightly to the left. It appears that there would be quite a bit of room before the side of my house gets in the way. Again, my house is about 178 degrees north to south.

3) If they still won't, and I can get a dish, how do I install it without a satellite meter, which I think costs about $300?
Here is a picture (attachment since I can't post pics yet) of the 3LNB next to my AT9 so you can get an idea of the size and angle differences. As for aligning without a meter, I would not recommend it. But a meter will not cost $300. The Acutrac meter can be found for around $100 new. Maybe less on ebay.

Attachments

·
Hall Of Fame
2,038 Posts
wmschultz said:
Well I got a 98 on Sat A and a 90 on B & C with the receiver signal meter.
It's not that it can't be done, but the Ka band is a lot more narrow and if the dish is not peaked properly it can result in rain fade issues etc.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
1,135 Posts
Well, the installers we have in our area don't have a tool to peak it anyway.

They just get 101 as strong as they can and say that's all we need to do, then
they get B & C.

·
Legend
139 Posts
Barry in KC said:
My questions are three-fold: 1) Does the 3LNB dish I currently have have the same approximate angle aimed at the satellites as the AT-9 dish. I realize that the 99degree satellite is going to be aimed slightly to the left. It appears that there would be quite a bit of room before the side of my house gets in the way. Again, my house is about 178 degrees north to south.
2) How can I get DTV to get Ironwood Communications to do the install.

Thanks for your guidence.
Barry,

1) The dish will be "pointed" slightly more to the east, as it is centered on the 101satellite rather that the 119 satellite.

2) Don't know. Maybe you can get Ironwood to agree to let you install it and then have them come out to peak the signal. I thought I read a post where someone was able to do that. It would be a judgment call on the part of the installer though.

3) It's really not that tough to do with just the on-screen signal meter. That's how I have always installed mine, including the AT9 after I fixed the installer's poor installation job. Here is a link to a thread I posted on my experience. It should help you out, should you decide to install it yourself:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=66175

Just remember to follow all the instructions precisely, and get the mast plumb!

Kurt

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
wmschultz said:
Well, the installers we have in our area don't have a tool to peak it anyway.

They just get 101 as strong as they can and say that's all we need to do, then
they get B & C.
Call DIRECTV and tell them that's what the installer told you. I'm pretty sure to be doing a DIRECTV "PRO" install DIRECTV will require them to buy a signal meter.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
1,135 Posts
You would think, but it just doesn't pay for these guys to buy the tools.

The installers are like mechanics, they only have access to the tools they buy.
They buy the cheaper one that gets the 101 and the 119. They don't even have
one that will tone out the 110. It is ridiculous.

If they would just realize that if they bought the more expensive one, it would be
easier to peak the dish, thus speeding up the install, thus allowing them to do
more installs and get paid more. At least that is how I would do it.

I just can't believe that the install guys have to provide all of their own cables,
concrete, connectors and everything else. At least as a mechanic you can go
to the parts department and get the parts and it gets charged to the manufacturer
for warranty work, or the customer, but that isn't how it works with the way the
contract is for the installers in my area and DirecTV.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.