Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,482 Posts
GoSabres said:
Will HD work on an EDTV?
Yes and no. EDTV is usually a special case of a wide screen SD set. You will be able to see the programming, but it won't be much better quality than the SD version. EDTV was conceived primarily to provide a wide screen DVD platform.

BTW, unless your in real trouble, you shouldn't scream for help.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,482 Posts
GoSabres said:
I was in need of help was having HD hooked up today and installer was en route.
In that case, the word "Urgent" would have been more appropriate.

·
Icon
687 Posts
I have watched plenty of HD on a EDTV. Looks better than SD.

As an Example LG's 42" Plasme EDTV has a native res of 852 x 480p.

That's a little better than SD. ;)

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,482 Posts
ssmith10pn said:
As an Example LG's 42" Plasme EDTV has a native res of 852 x 480p.

That's a little better than SD. ;)
Given that good 4:3 SD is 752x480i, ED is basically a progressive scan version of SD. There are substantial compromises when converting from 720p (1.5:1) or 1080i. (2.25:1).

If you could find a lot more interesting content unique to HD, it would probably be worth it.

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
Many expert sites say EDTV loses only 10-20 percent of the HD signal, so it's much better than an SD picture. In fact, some say EDTV is a better deal (due to lower cost) if you can discern that percentage loss of resolution. I've seen HD on some Panny EDTVs, and it looks pretty darn good. So call back and reorder that HD.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,482 Posts
tstarn said:
Many expert sites say EDTV loses only 10-20 percent of the HD signal, so it's much better than an SD picture.
Many "expert" sites comparing EDTVs to HDTVs are comparing based on specifcations and perceptions from when EDTVs were still available. When you compare an EDTV with an older 720p LCD or Plasma, the difference wasn't as great. Now that resolution can as much as double (four times the information) that of EDTV (480p), the specifications and opinions have changed.

Is EDTV an improvement over SD? Absolutely. Is watching HDTV programming on an EDTV better than watching it on an SD TV? You betcha. Is EDTV within 20% of the experience of viewing the content on a modern HDTV? Not on your life!

·
Icon
687 Posts
Look at specs all day if you want.
Bottom line it looks almost as stunning as full HD.

With compression and down res HD satellite would be hard to tell a difference between the two.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,482 Posts
ssmith10pn said:
Look at specs all day if you want.
Bottom line it looks almost as stunning as full HD.
Back when EDTVs were still available, I looked at the difference between a Panasonic EDTV and a Panasonic LCD. The LCD was considerably better. Now when I look at a 720p Panasonic plasma next to a 1080p JVC D-ILA or Sony SXRD, the difference is still remarkable.
With compression and down res HD satellite would be hard to tell a difference between the two.
Additional scaling and motion compensation of a ruddy signal does not cancel out the damage.

In the end, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and what I or anyone else thinks should be used only as minor hints; not to replace personal experience. I was never really taken by the idea of color television until I saw Bonanza in color for the first time. That was 40 years ago.

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
harsh said:
Back when EDTVs were still available, I looked at the difference between a Panasonic EDTV and a Panasonic LCD. The LCD was considerably better. Now when I look at a 720p Panasonic plasma next to a 1080p JVC D-ILA or Sony SXRD, the difference is still remarkable.Additional scaling and motion compensation of a ruddy signal does not cancel out the damage.

In the end, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and what I or anyone else thinks should be used only as minor hints; not to replace personal experience. I was never really taken by the idea of color television until I saw Bonanza in color for the first time. That was 40 years ago.
Lorne Green in full color...I too remember those days.

·
Godfather
297 Posts
It comes down to real world viewing habits too. Like screen size relative to viewing distance.

If you're going to be sitting 10'-12' away no matter what size display you choose, obviously you'll be harder pressed to notice the difference if it's a 42" image vs a 100" image. In other words, the farther away you are from a given image size the harder it is to perceive the extra detail anyway.

It's never really a bad thing to actually feed a display of any kind an HD image regardless though. Even feeding an old run of the mill 36" JVC a downcoverted HD signal via s-video from HBO HD will look better than just watching the regular HBO SD channel.

·
Mentor
34 Posts
I would definitely get HD service for a EDTV. Even on a EDTV the picture quality of the HD channels are significantly better (I would even call it a "Day and Night"difference) than the same channels in SD. The HD receivers also have HD OTA tuners and the OTA HD locals are far better than the SD locals on Dish.

·
Mentor
37 Posts
Yes it will "work". No it will not be HD.

For anything to be considered HD it must:
1) Be shot in HD with an HD camera or at least 35mm film and then scanned to HD.
2) Stored in HD (if I shoot it in HD and store it on analog VHS its not HD ... duh)
3) Transmitted in HD (e.g. a HD channel such as TNTHD, DSCHD, NGTHD ... can anyone say bandwidth ... no ... sorry, if you sat provider choses to squeeze too many channels onto one transponder its called HD-lite which is not HD.)
HD-lite ???? what exactly is the friggin point????????????
4) Received in HD with an HD receiver (e.g. 811/921/941/622/etc ....)
5) Displayed in HD with an HD display (e.g. HD LCD, Plasma, Projector)
6) and lastly and most importantly... viewed at with HD eyeballs. :)

When granny and grandpa wonder what all the fuss is about HD just smile and nod in agreement ... HA!

Would I get HD if I had an EDTV??? Yes! Its better than SD. No its not HD.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.