DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 622 with WD myDVR expander HD (officially supported by both manufacturers) that was working flawlessly and now when I try to copy something from the internal HD, it displays a message that the hard disk needs to be formated in order to work. The same message I got when I originally bought the drive six months or so ago.

I tried powering down everything, replugging in the cables, but no improvement.

Unfortunately - which should not come to anyone's surprise - I have lots of great shows on the external disc, so I would really hate to have to loose all that (especially since I bought the drive to safeguard the stuff I had on the internal drive which is much older!).

Is there some sort of "chkdsk" or equivalent that can repair my drive?:mad:

910 Posts
Please provide your receiver number to me in a PM so I can send an authorization to your receiver. Please let me know. Thanks.

TFLeonard said:
I have a 622 with WD myDVR expander HD (officially supported by both manufacturers) that was working flawlessly and now when I try to copy something from the internal HD, it displays a message that the hard disk needs to be formated in order to work. The same message I got when I originally bought the drive six months or so ago.

I tried powering down everything, replugging in the cables, but no improvement.

Unfortunately - which should not come to anyone's surprise - I have lots of great shows on the external disc, so I would really hate to have to loose all that (especially since I bought the drive to safeguard the stuff I had on the internal drive which is much older!).

Is there some sort of "chkdsk" or equivalent that can repair my drive?:mad:

· Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since it looks like help from Dish didn't pan out, does anyone else have any other ideas? Is there some way to actually check the external hard disk to see if it is OK? I come back to chkdsk, which is what I'd do if I were in a PC environment.

Dish seems to think that the disk is OK, and not to reformat it. They suggested plugging it into another DVR (which I don't have) to see if it can access the hard disk. Is this a known problem with the 622?

I would hate to buy another DVR, and then find out that the ext. hd. still can't be accessed.

· Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I tried running fsck on the first partition, it found lots of errors but as far as I can tell fixed them. Unfortunately running fsck on the second (larger) partition suggested running e2fsck with an alternate superblock. That didn't work (same suggestion).

Am I SOL now?

· Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
P Smith said:
not yet, you can get other copy of superblock as it described in DTV forum - see thread(s) "How to copy ..."
Tried searching for the thread "How to copy ...", but couldn't find it. Could you be more specific? PM me if you want. THanks (keeping my fingers crossed).

· Mr. FixAnything
28,016 Posts
shadough said:
Is it not possible to plug the drive into a pc/laptop, transfer the recordings to either that or another drive, then go back to the 622 an reformat it. Afterwards transfer the recordings back?!? Not sure if this is possible but, thought I would ask.
It has been explained, just find the post by a keyword "DishArc".

But you didn't read the thread closely: he did install it in PC, he found file system corrupted (how did you propose to copy it ?) he is using Linux, he need to fix EXT3 errors first.

· Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Being a total Linux novice, I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. When I run e2fsck, it suggest superblock 8, but when I type it in the commandline it just comes back with the same suggestion. How do I know what superblock to use and how do I make it fix the partition?

· Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
P Smith said:
I would search for 'superblock', but after a few minutes of reading these threads I give up.
There was once a good tutorial with screenshots, but I didn't save the URL.

Try Internet, like this : http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-find-alternative-superblocks/
I managed to run testdisk to find 3 superblock locations, and used the first listed superblock with efsck. It made lots repairs and declared everything clean. Unfortunately that still didn't prevent my 622 dvr from asking to reformat it even with a total cold reboot. Any other ideas?

· Mr. FixAnything
28,016 Posts
The old idea mentioned in post#16. Manage it hard way: copy disharc folder(s) to any EXT2/3 drive; reformat the EHD by 622, then copy that folder(s) back. Just be sure you did that for all the folders: each partition, 500 GB max, has own folder.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.