DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mentor
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone please help me with the configuration of multiswitches i need for my specific application? if i had a phase 3 dish with a dish mounted 5x4 multiswitch with 2 lines coming out of the dish mounted switch with over 100' of line running into the house and run into another 2x4 multiswitch to power 1 hd dvr and 1 sd dvr,will it work and what kind of switches and/or amplifiers would i need for it to work?im trying to avoid burying another double rg6 line from the dish into the house.or would i be better off burying another line than to install another multiswitch?pros and cons
 

·
Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
23,856 Posts
This process works a whole lot easier if you tell us where you are and where you want to be. Starting out in mid "this isn't working" is difficult to dig out of.

What is your total tuner (not to be confused with receivers) count throughout the house (you've told us about four)?

Do you plan on upgrading to HD programming in the next couple of years?

You will need to run more cables to make this work. You can't choose between three or more satellites with only two wires.
 

·
Mentor
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i currently have sd programming with a total of 4 tuners(2 receivers),18 round dish, double rg6 line into the house,2x4 multiswitch in basement.im looking to upgrade to hd programming in the living room area while leaving the bedroom at sd for now.what i am asking is can the hd dishes that come with a 5x4 multiswitch built in on the dish be run into another multiswitch in the basement.the switch on the dish combines all of the lnb's on a hd dish into 4 output lines hat can run into 4 tuners correct?i have only 2 lines from the switch on the dish to inside.can i then add another multiswitch to achieve the 4 outputs again?ota is not an issue.
 

·
Éminence grise
Joined
·
8,473 Posts
You can run the output from the built-in multiswitch to another multiswitch, but you will need to have all four lines connected. Since you only have four tuners, you can connect them directly without using a multiswitch. This is what the installer did when replacing my round dish with the AT-9 5-LNB dish.

You cannot run two lines from a 3 or 5 LNB dish and expand that to four with a separate multiswitch.

When the FTM (freqiuency translation module) becomes available (speculation is next year), only a single cable from the dish will be required, but for now you will need four.
 

·
Mentor
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
heres what i dont understand. the 4 lines that come out of the switch on the dish can run 4 individual tuners. so if i only had 2 tuners in the house i would only need to run 2 of these lines correct?why cant i put another switch on my 2 existing lines and get 4 outputs again for 4 tuners?the switches can be cascaded to accomplish this(or at least i think so).
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,873 Posts
bobnielsen said:
When the FTM (freqiuency translation module) becomes available (speculation is next year), only a single cable from the dish will be required, but for now you will need four.
Seems to me like that will apply to a new, yet-to-be-introduced dish. The Phase III, AT-9, and Slimlines have built-in multiswitches and would not work with an FTM system, would they?
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
5,580 Posts
steely said:
can someone please help me with the configuration of multiswitches i need for my specific application? if i had a phase 3 dish with a dish mounted 5x4 multiswitch with 2 lines coming out of the dish mounted switch with over 100' of line running into the house and run into another 2x4 multiswitch to power 1 hd dvr and 1 sd dvr,will it work and what kind of switches and/or amplifiers would i need for it to work?im trying to avoid burying another double rg6 line from the dish into the house.or would i be better off burying another line than to install another multiswitch?pros and cons
First there is no 5x4 multi switch built into a Phase 3 dish, it is a 4x4 no OTA input.

Second a Phase 3 dish picks up three satellites and sends that information out over a maximum of 4 cables. The 110 information is combined into unused transponders on the 119 satellite. Your receiver selects the transponder by using 12 volt and 18 volts to switch between odd and even transponders. It also sends a 22KHZ tone signal to switch satellites. If an additional multiswitch is added say a 4X8 you connect 4 lines from the original multiswitch. This locks the signals to 12V on 1 line, 18V on the 2nd line, 12V with 22KHZ on the third line and 18V 22KHZ on the 4th line so all connected receivers can select what they need for signals.

If you only have 2 lines coming into a multiswitch you are locked onto the 101 satellite with a choice of 12V or 18V signals there is no access to the 22KHZ switching.:) :) :)

For your needs all you have to do is run in 2 more RG6s and you can connect all 4 tuners.
 

·
Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
23,856 Posts
steely said:
heres what i dont understand. the 4 lines that come out of the switch on the dish can run 4 individual tuners.
The difference here is that each tuner can only look at one satellite at a time. If you add just one more tuner, there is a chance that you'll need to look at three satellites at a time.

A way around running four cables might be to use a stacker and a destacker. These devices, when used in tandem, can put more than one satellite on a single wire. They are relatively expensive and are likely not compatible with the new dishes.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,102 Posts
litzdog911 said:
If you call DirecTV and tell them you want to upgrade to HiDef equipment, most likely you'll get a new dish, multiswitch and installation for free.
My thoughts exactly ;)
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top