DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is an intermittent hardware problem that I hope someone can help me. I am so happy to have found this forum!

In our family room we have a legacy 3900. Upstairs we have a subbed 811 receiver. I connect these two receivers through a DP 34 switch onto two DP 500 dishes pointed at 61.5 and the 119 and 110 satellites. I have the DP Plus Twin LNBF for the 110 and 199 satellites and a DP Dual for the 61.5 satellite. I am connecting the legacy receiver to the DP 34 switch using a DP adaptor for power. The cable runs from the DP 34 switch to the dishes use RG- 6 and this run is 50 feet. The run from the DP adaptor to the DP 34 switch is about 50 feet also.

My problem is that when powering off the legacy 3900, I lose one half of the 110 and 119 channels (even only) when I reapply power. I check the switches and this is what happens. The 811 remains powered on. Then I go to remove the connections and re-mate and then I magically, after another switch test, all the channels come in. After a power off last night again only the even channels only for the 100 and the 119 were received. I checked the voltage out of the DP 34 switch, it was 17 – 18 volts DC steady.

I have replaced the cable between the DP34 switch and the LNBF, I replaced the DP34 switch and now I am going to replace the LNBF with another Dish Pro Plus LNBF. Is there anything else that I am missing? Are the DP Plus LNBFs compatible with the DP 34? I called Dish and they confirmed they were OK, but I have may have read something else.

Any advise and help is greatly appreciated!

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,868 Posts
Crabs27DE said:
I have the DP Plus Twin LNBF for the 110 and 199 satellites and a DP Dual for the 61.5 satellite. I am connecting the legacy receiver to the DP 34 switch using a DP adaptor for power.
You cannot reliably use a DPP Twin LNBF with a DP34. Further, you don't need a DP34 if you have a DPP Twin.

What you should be doing is running one lead of the DP Dual into the input on the DPP Twin and run the outputs of the DPP Twin directly to your receivers. No external switches are required with two receivers (even if they are mult-tuner receivers).

I would also suggest that rather that investing lots of time and money dancing around the 3900, that you replace it with a DP compatible receiver like the 301 or 311 (or even a 5xx series DVR).

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advise, Harsh. But I want to used the DP34 switch because we plan to add a third reciever for HD into the house. I do believe you that is hard to reliably operate the DP 34 with the DPP LNBFs.

I got it working yesteday by the following method:

1. running a "check switch" on the 3900 without any switches connected- I disconnected feed wire to DP 34 from reciever. (I read this clears out the IRD in the archive here).
2. After re-connecting the 3900 to the DP34, I disconnected the 811 from the DP 34.
3. Ran "check switch" again on 3900. Now the 3900 saw all satellites.
4. Re-connected the 811. Ran "check switch". All is OK.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,868 Posts
Crabs27DE said:
I got it working yesteday by the following method:
So is your Twin a DPP or just a DP? In theory, you wouldn't have to go through all of that if it were a DP Twin.

Have you simulated a power outage to see if it will recover without having to redo your procedure?

·
AllStar
64 Posts
As Gary had mentioned, your DP adapter is suspect. Almost all legacy receivers I've serviced that had a DP adapter simply needed a new one. DO NOT install a DP Plus Twin to the 34 switch. You will burn it out. I've made that mistake before; -twice. Either get yourself a 44 Switch, in which you can eliminate the DP adapter, or replace the receiver with a DP receiver You can find one for under $100 online. A DP Plus twin will handle 4 tuners (2 receivers, single or dual) in which the 34 switch can be removed from the setup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.