DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Lifetime Achiever
10,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a networked (it has its own IP) HP Laser Jet 4000 at work that apparently has some sort of spooling issue. When you send a job to it, it will print 1 page, and pause for several seconds, then print 1 page, then pause.... etc.

I've messed with all settings I can think to mess with. Does anyone have any idea what approach I should take next?

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
AirRocker said:
We have a networked (it has its own IP) HP Laser Jet 4000 at work that apparently has some sort of spooling issue. When you send a job to it, it will print 1 page, and pause for several seconds, then print 1 page, then pause.... etc.

I've messed with all settings I can think to mess with. Does anyone have any idea what approach I should take next?
is there memory onboard the printer? how much

· Super Moderator
13,787 Posts
AirRocker said:

We have those same printers but it only has your issue when we try to print pdf files.

Does it do this will all your documents?

Mike

· Mr. FixAnything
27,977 Posts
MicroBeta said:
We have those same printers but it only has your issue when we try to print pdf files.

Does it do this will all your documents?

Mike
Serving small office with two networked HP LJ 4000 and have no issue with printing PDF file or other types from XP/Vista/OS-X/RHEL/Ubuntu.

· Registered
4,296 Posts
I have been researching this problem extensively and have spoken to HP about it.

1. The problem began with the release of Adobe Reader 7 and seems to have the greatest affect on HP printers using PCL6 drivers. Switching to Post Script Drivers doesn't seem to help much.
2. This problem is not only common it is virtually the norm.
3. HP seems to be totally in the dark about resolving the problem, you get the distinct impression that they consider it an Adobe issue... probably true as PCL6 works just fine for anything that isn't pdf.
4. Adobe has tons of information on user forums, with lots of suggestions on how to deal with it, all of which seem to have little effect.
5. Adobe itself seems unwilling to acknowledge there is a problem

It is important to note that you probably wont notice the problem much if you are printing single pdf pages. It is most noticeable on large pdf documents or printing many copies of the same document.

Adobe has recently released Adobe Reader 9. I will be deploying this version over my largest network in the next 2 weeks. We will see if it has any effect on the over-all problem.

I will post information here when we deploy and see results.

· Lifetime Achiever
10,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
phat78boy said:
By chance are the problems with PDF files mostly? I've seen that issue when using PCL drivers. A switch to the postscript drivers cleared the issue.
I found out that the issue was only with PDF's... and installing an old universal postscript driver did seem to resolve the issue...

Thanks for the help everyone!! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.