DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a D* customer since 2004. Always premier package, always paid bill on time. These days the bill is getting pretty large ($150/mo for four HD-DVRs). I'm about to move to a new city, and was going to call D* and try and get them to lower my monthly.

In the past I've called retention and have always been able to get them to give me some discounts. It's been a couple years since I've done that though.

Anyway, I'm no longer under contract, and I see them offering some pretty great pricing on the Premier package (plus whole-home, plus receivers) for far less than I am paying (like $50/mo less for an entire year). Is it possible to get D* to come close to those offerings... or is it better to just sign up for a new account in my wife's name?

I currently have 3xhr21 and 1xhr22... will they upgrade any of those to new DVRs for free? When you do the move, do they install the whole-home stuff for free? If I do cancel and resign, is it possible to keep and reactivate those under the new contract, or do they take those back when you cancel?

Thanks for any help!

·
1*
10,289 Posts
toade said:
I've been a D* customer since 2004. Always premier package, always paid bill on time. These days the bill is getting pretty large ($150/mo for four HD-DVRs). I'm about to move to a new city, and was going to call D* and try and get them to lower my monthly.

In the past I've called retention and have always been able to get them to give me some discounts. It's been a couple years since I've done that though.

Anyway, I'm no longer under contract, and I see them offering some pretty great pricing on the Premier package (plus whole-home, plus receivers) for far less than I am paying (like $50/mo less for an entire year). Is it possible to get D* to come close to those offerings... or is it better to just sign up for a new account in my wife's name?

I currently have 3xhr21 and 1xhr22... will they upgrade any of those to new DVRs for free? When you do the move, do they install the whole-home stuff for free? If I do cancel and resign, is it possible to keep and reactivate those under the new contract, or do they take those back when you cancel?

Thanks for any help!
You can always call up and see if they will offer you any discounts, but of course, you are playing CSR roulette with that. If you call retention and threaten to leave unless you get a discount, be prepared to follow through if they don't give you the discounts and cancel you.

Since you are moving, I'd call DirecTV Mover's and see what they can do for you. They will probably allow you to get Whole Home DVR Service installed on the move. It will most likely not be free, but they may discount it for you.

All your DVRs are SWM and MRV compatible, so they will not upgrade them. If the receivers are leased (and most likely they are), if you deactivate one or cancel your service, you will need to return them to DirecTV. DirecTV will send you pre-paid boxes for you to return them.

And while there are offers out there for the Premium Package that are $50 less than you are currently paying, those are offers to draw in new customers. Unfortunately, as a current customer you will find it hard to get those rates.

If you decide to sign up as a new customer under your wife's name, be adivsed that you will need to return all your current hardware, which means you will lose out on any saved programs that you have not watched. Also, you will be under commitment for 2 years as you will be a new customer.

- Merg

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Just talked to a CSR. They actually came pretty close to current deals, offering to cut ~$50/mo for a year, bringing it pretty close to current prices.

They also offered whole-home install, and free HD-DVR. Unfortunately no hr34... which I really want. I'd be fine waiting for it if they could pre-bill me at $99 upgrade now... but they cannot do that. The did offer $100 credit if I purchased it elsewhere, but that is a tough pill to swallow when i can get it for $100 by signing up for a new contract. Tough decision.

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shades228 said:
HR34 will not be $99 for existing customers when it becomes available to order in February.
No, probably not, but considering i can get one now at $99 by opening a new account, that's what I was hoping for. Considering they are willing to give me a $200 HDDVR for free, I was hoping they would at least give me a $200 credit toward buying the hr34 elsewhere. Matching the $300 off for new customers would have been even better.

·
DaBears
6,085 Posts
toade said:
No, probably not, but considering i can get one now at $99 by opening a new account, that's what I was hoping for. Considering they are willing to give me a $200 HDDVR for free, I was hoping they would at least give me a $200 credit toward buying the hr34 elsewhere. Matching the $300 off for new customers would have been even better.
I wouldn't hold your breath on that.

·
Godfather
439 Posts
toade said:
Thanks for the reply. Just talked to a CSR. They actually came pretty close to current deals, offering to cut ~$50/mo for a year, bringing it pretty close to current prices.

They also offered whole-home install, and free HD-DVR. Unfortunately no hr34... which I really want. I'd be fine waiting for it if they could pre-bill me at $99 upgrade now... but they cannot do that. The did offer $100 credit if I purchased it elsewhere, but that is a tough pill to swallow when i can get it for $100 by signing up for a new contract. Tough decision.
Im moving too. So, you got whole-home install free? If so, how did you go about getting the CSR to do it?

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He offered. I've been a long loyal customer, never missed a bill, and really haven't called in to have my bill lowered in some time. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. My friend also just moved, and he got whole-home for free as well, again, without even asking.

Just explain that if you started a new account at the new house, under your wife's name, you could get a much better deal, and you'd like them to at least come close to that deal.

·
Godfather
439 Posts
"toade" said:
He offered. I've been a long loyal customer, never missed a bill, and really haven't called in to have my bill lowered in some time. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. My friend also just moved, and he got whole-home for free as well, again, without even asking.

Just explain that if you started a new account at the new house, under your wife's name, you could get a much better deal, and you'd like them to at least come close to that deal.
Thanks for the info. One more question... Did you speak to a retention CSR or did you call the "Movers Connection" number?

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I spoke to retention. In the end they took off $41 for 12 months (including the HD $10 off for billpay for 2 years) and an additional $15 off for 6 months. They also gave me a $200 credit if I buy the hr34 from a retailer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.