DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Legend
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a H20 from an ad in my newspaper. I thought I did my due dilligence in confirming with the previous owner that she never used the receiver or its access card. When I took delivery of the receiver, I noted that it was new, sealed in the box, and I felt confident I was safe in purchasing it...until I tried to activate it.

I recently passed my commitment date, and I wanted to replace one of my standard definition receivers with a HD receiver. I called D* to inquire about doing it through them, and of course they would send me one for $99 and a 2 year commitment. I avoid having the commitment, and I thought I could do this by not getting the receiver from an individual.

When I called D* to activate, the CSR took me through the process and had me up and running in a few minutes. All seemed well. Then, I received my next statement. My new receiver was listed on the statement as a leased receiver. Since I *thought* I purchased this from an individual, I called D* to report the mistake. To my dismay, I was advised by CSR that my receiver was a leased unit, and by activating it, I had committed myself to 2 years of service :mad:

Needless to say, I'm super pissed over this. Nobody advised me that I would be committing myself to 2 years during this process. The manufacturer packaging that the H20 was in had ZERO labeling indicating that it was a leased unit. The individual I bought it from thought she owned it (it was a "free" D* deal that she got for purchasing a HD TV from Best Buy, but she never installed or activated).

My question to this forum is how the heck do I get out of this? I complained in futility to CSR and was told that I would "just have to deal with it".

· Hall Of Fame
1,675 Posts
bradpr said:
My question to this forum is how the heck do I get out of this? I complained in futility to CSR and was told that I would "just have to deal with it".
All receivers pretty much since 2006 have been leased. You can purchase one but the price is over $400 I believe. As far as the commitment issue, whenever there is a hardware adjustment on your account I believe that they will extend your commitment. Its all in the TOS and Equipment Lease addendum.

· Registered
5,670 Posts
It's a leased unit. The fact that the seller got it for free with a BB purchase confirms that. The seller did not own the unit and could not transfer it as owned. Your beef is with the seller.

Usually a leased unit must be returned to DirecTV when deactivated and cannot be transferred to another account. I guess that with this unit being new-in-box and never activated, that didn't matter and it could be transferred to whomever for the 1st activation.

· Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
In addition, they probably have in their records that she posesses a receiver that she did not activate, and her credit card will likely be charged for that.

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,882 Posts
Yep, she most likely got charged the non-activation charge (the thing you sign that you'll be charged $150 for not activating within 30 days).

All receivers are leased unless you paid big bucks for them in the first place as noted. This is why you really shouldn't be buy receivers on eBay thinking they are owned because most of the time they are leased and the seller is not supposed to sell them but return them to DirecTV or gets charged.

Your beef is with the seller.

Good luck.

· AllStar
57 Posts
paulman182 said:
In addition, they probably have in their records that she posesses a receiver that she did not activate, and her credit card will likely be charged for that.
If she never activated the reciver then there is no way that they could have her info. When i bought my TV from best buy they gave me the same offer. they just gave me the reciver, no info was taken, and i never signed anything from D*. The guy at best buy just told me it was mine to do what i wanted with it. I activated it of corse!!:)

· Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
DSSJunkie said:
If she never activated the reciver then there is no way that they could have her info. When i bought my TV from best buy they gave me the same offer. they just gave me the reciver, no info was taken, and i never signed anything from D*. The guy at best buy just told me it was mine to do what i wanted with it. I activated it of corse!!:)
Did you provide a credit card to buy the TV?

I'm sure some receiver slip thru the cracks but they try real hard to get them activated or returned.

· Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
The only reciever I've gotten from a store was my H20 from Circuit City, and the requirement to activate it was spelled out on the sales receipt.

· Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
When Directv switched to leasing, there were a lot of problems with Best Buy not informing customers that it was a lease. I picked up a H20 there a couple of years ago and the receipt said nothing. I think they have a sign on the display which says the equipment is leased (there may also now be a sticker on the box to that effect).

· Legend
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It sure would have been nice if the CSR had advised me of the commitment when I activated...Oh well, live and learn.

With the H20, I also got 3 SD receivers and the dish. I'm going to use the dish and one of my current receivers to build a mobile kit to take to football games for tailgating, but I have no idea what to do with the 3 new SD receivers.

Any ideas? (creative or genuine suggestions are encouraged)

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
There was a period just after the lease program went into effect that Best Buy totally dropped the ball. They didn't let people know about the lease or commitment, and generally treated DirecTV equipment the same as a DVD player. They are being sued over it by a bunch of unhappy customers.

Anyway, when you play on eBay, you are always taking a risk. A call to DirecTV prior to bidding would have cleared everything up.

· Hall Of Fame
1,764 Posts
DSSJunkie said:
Nope i bought it on a Best Buy card! The recipt had no comitment terms.
BB reports the unit to directv either by serial number, RID or access card, not sure which it is. I purchase H20's for our commerical accounts through BB and directv is aware of the sale of the unit when I call in to activate it

· AllStar
57 Posts
yeah but my point was Directv cant charge a Best Buy Credit card for not activating the reciver or returning it. The only way they could charge you would maybe be if you bought it on a Visa or Master Card.

· Legend
178 Posts
DSSJunkie said:
yeah but my point was Directv cant charge a Best Buy Credit card for not activating the receiver or returning it. The only way they could charge you would maybe be if you bought it on a Visa or Master Card.
They could charge you by just sending you a bill. Best Buy has your credit account with your name and address and if they gave you a D* receiver they would be obligated to supply that information to D*. It might not get charged to a credit card, but the money would be due DirecTV for non activation and they could collect and/or really hurt your credit rating.

· Cool Member
17 Posts
bradpr said:
It sure would have been nice if the CSR had advised me of the commitment when I activated...Oh well, live and learn.

With the H20, I also got 3 SD receivers and the dish. I'm going to use the dish and one of my current receivers to build a mobile kit to take to football games for tailgating, but I have no idea what to do with the 3 new SD receivers.

Any ideas? (creative or genuine suggestions are encouraged)[/QUOTE

IF you seriously want to stop service and return the reciever to the seller, I offer this suggestion: Many states have consumer protection laws that allow a cancellation within so many days of making a "in home" contract. Most of these consider a DBS contract to be an "in home" contract. Contact your state Department of Consumer Affairs to see if you can take this avenue. Good luck!

· AllStar
57 Posts
hey i am not trying to go back and forth about who gets charged what, It has already been established that best buy had some shady practices with directv. If i would have bought the tv cash there would have been no record who the reciver went to.

· Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
bradpr said:

Any ideas? (creative or genuine suggestions are encouraged)
If you got those three receivers from the same person from whom you got the H20, you may have a similar problem with them if they were something she obtained and didn't activate. The good thing is, the SD receivers only carry an 18 month commitment, so your 2 year commitment for the H20 would cover them anyway.

If they were not new in the box, I would be concerned about charges they may have on them that the seller didn't pay. At a minimum I wouldn't activate them with the cards that came with them - unless those cards are new and still sealed in their plastic envelopes. Each of those you would activate would add $4.99 plus tax to your monthly bill, by the way.

If they are new in sealed boxes, I would call and ask DirecTV what their status is. They should be able to tell from the numbers on the side of the box. If they are free and clear and "owned" units (not leased units), you may be able to sell them or give them away if you don't want to use them. If they are in DirecTV's system as "leased" units, I would probably ask DirecTV for return kits, although they may not be able to process a return kit request since they are not active on your account. If you're not going to use them, I would ask DirecTV what you should do with them. If they don't want them back, I would also get something in writing to that effect.

IIP said:
Anyway, when you play on eBay, you are always taking a risk. A call to DirecTV prior to bidding would have cleared everything up.
OP indicated he purchased from an ad in the paper, not eBay. But the same rules apply.

· Legend
163 Posts
its kinda says leased on the box....

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.