DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Legend
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed yesterday the Tuner 2 on my HR20 was out. I was putting in a third cable through the basement so thougt I might have screwed something up, but I can't figure out what is going on. After some simple troubleshooting, resets and calling D* I swapped out the HR20 with my R15 to see if it was the cabling/multiswitch or the receiver. The HR 20 works fine on the other cables and I got no signal on Tuner 2 on the R15. Leads me to the cables or multiswitch. I went to the multiswitch and connected the new third cable I had installed and connected that to the receiver. Still no signal. moved connections on the multiswitch and tuner 1 is always good, but tuner 2 is dead. Swapped cables on the R15 and Tuner 1 is good and Tuner 2 is dead?

Do these new receivers take the first good signal and call it tuner 1? I would have thought that if I took a good cable on tuner 1 and moved it to tuner 2, the signal would follow. That is not happening. Could this be a multiswitch issue? The two other rooms are on the first four outputs but this room is on the 5th and 6th output. Tried moving things to the 7th and 8th outputs, but no change. The new cable still have the factory ends and I had used it previously with my portable sat dish.

I am at a loss as to what is going on.

HELP?

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
opelap said:
Just noticed yesterday the Tuner 2 on my HR20 was out. I was putting in a third cable through the basement so thougt I might have screwed something up, but I can't figure out what is going on. After some simple troubleshooting, resets and calling D* I swapped out the HR20 with my R15 to see if it was the cabling/multiswitch or the receiver. The HR 20 works fine on the other cables and I got no signal on Tuner 2 on the R15. Leads me to the cables or multiswitch. I went to the multiswitch and connected the new third cable I had installed and connected that to the receiver. Still no signal. moved connections on the multiswitch and tuner 1 is always good, but tuner 2 is dead. Swapped cables on the R15 and Tuner 1 is good and Tuner 2 is dead?

Do these new receivers take the first good signal and call it tuner 1? I would have thought that if I took a good cable on tuner 1 and moved it to tuner 2, the signal would follow. That is not happening. Could this be a multiswitch issue? The two other rooms are on the first four outputs but this room is on the 5th and 6th output. Tried moving things to the 7th and 8th outputs, but no change. The new cable still have the factory ends and I had used it previously with my portable sat dish.

I am at a loss as to what is going on.

HELP?

I commend you for doing such a thorough job of diagnosing the problem.

Based on what you've checked so far, it sounds like its one of two thinigs - a bad port on the multiswitch, or else a bad tuner #2 on the HR20 box. Based on the fact that you see the same results on the R15, that would seem to point things at the multiswitch. If replcaement of that doesn't work....

There are 2 other outside other possibilities, though less likely....bad connectors on the cabling run somewhere on line 2, or else something on the Dish end with either the cable or dish connectors. It wouldn't hurt to check those things as well, since it costs nothing and won't take that long. Visual inspection of the connectors alone won't do it....then I'd look to the multiswitch. I had a bad one 2 years ago with similar symptoms, nothing since.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.