DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
AllStar
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just exchanged my 6000 receiver for a 211 and would like some input on the best settings to use. I am using a Sony XBR 36" tubed TV built in 2000 that supports 1080i, 480p and 480i. I am using component video cables, i.e. Y, Pb, Pr. My TV has vertical compression.

Here are the options in the TV menu that likely apply to my HD situation:

1. Mode - vivid, standard, movie, pro
2. Velocity modulation - high, medium, low, off
3. Digital reality - interlaced or progressive
4. 16:9 enhanced - auto, on, off

Here are the options for the 211 receiver:

1. Aspect ratio - 16 x 9, 4 x 3 #1 and 4 x 3 #2.
2. HD resolution - 480p, 480i, 720p, 1080i

Here's the issue. The only HD programming I get is via an OTA antenna. I do not have an HD package. It has always been my observation that there was very little difference between SD and HD on my TV. I have never had that "WOW" impression when watching something in HD. So my thoughts are that either my SD is better than most, my HD is worse than most and/or my settings are not correct. The setting that seems to give me my best picture is 1080i, but the problem with that is that there is always a black bar at the top and bottom of the screen. I can't find any options to get that picture to full screen. Frankly I'd rather watch the program in SD at full screen rather than HD on a partial screen.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. The fix may be a newer, bigger TV with a 16:9 aspect ratio, but that isn't in my plans. I just don't want to be missing anything with my current set up.

Thanks for the ideas.

Len

·
Godfather
316 Posts
Okay, You seem to imply that your Sony XBR has a 4X3 aspect ratio. So you need to set your sat box to match your display. That would be 4X3 #1 or 2. Also, you will never be completely free of the bars. I have a 16X9 TV and I still get them from time to time.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,494 Posts
It would be foolish indeed to tell you what looks best in your viewing room.

I would suggest putting together a testing regimen that will help you determine whether the ViP211 or your TV is better at doing the HD conversion. Set the ViP211 up to do 480p and see what happens and then set it up to do 1080i and fiddle with the TV settings.

I'm guessing that having the ViP211 do the conversion to 480p will give you better results overall. Sony's early 1080i CRT efforts were far from stellar. The 480p setting will also give you a leg up on displaying SD content full-screen.

Is saving $3 really worth not getting some of the exclusive HD content?

·
AllStar
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EXTACAMO said:
Okay, You seem to imply that your Sony XBR has a 4X3 aspect ratio. So you need to set your sat box to match your display. That would be 4X3 #1 or 2. Also, you will never be completely free of the bars. I have a 16X9 TV and I still get them from time to time.
Correct, the TV is 4 x 3. I have it set to 4 x 3 #1 which is the setting for TV's that have their own vertical compression built in which mine does. I've got the bars all the time and they are way too obtrusive IMO.

Len

·
Godfather
345 Posts
Your tv is not a HDTV. While it does perform the vertical compression necessary for viewing widescreen material it does not have the necessary resolution to view HD material in HD. I would just set the box for 4:3 viewing and not bother with it for satellite viewing. You can set the TV for auto for 16:9 enhanced and it will perform the correct compression to view anamorphic 16:9 dvd's.

Sorry, just reread your post and saw that your tv does support 1080i. I would still set the box for 4:3, you aren't going to see much difference and you will actually lose some resolution using the vertical compression.

·
AllStar
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
harsh said:
It would be foolish indeed to tell you what looks best in your viewing room.

I would suggest putting together a testing regimen that will help you determine whether the ViP211 or your TV is better at doing the HD conversion. Set the ViP211 up to do 480p and see what happens and then set it up to do 1080i and fiddle with the TV settings.

I'm guessing that having the ViP211 do the conversion to 480p will give you better results overall. Sony's early 1080i CRT efforts were far from stellar. The 480p setting will also give you a leg up on displaying SD content full-screen.

Is saving $3 really worth not getting some of the exclusive HD content?
I've been through the trial and error settings and nothing jumps out at me. 480p is probably the best compromise.

It's not about the $3 (actually it's $10, since I don't pay any HD access fees). I'd gladly pay for an HD package IF I saw a noticeable difference in the HD picture, but up to now, I have not. I get the OTA locals in HD and from what I understand, an OTA picture is the probably the best HD picture you're going to get. If that's the case, with my current set up, I'm not all that impressed with my HD quality picture, so why should I get more HD channels that don't do anything for me? It's probably more like $1000 for a new TV and not just an HD package that might be needed and I'm not ready for that right now.

Thanks all for your replies.

Len

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,494 Posts
The picture quality (PQ) of the HD channels is double the PQ of the SD channels or better. You should find the HD versions downconverted are much more pleasing to the eye.

In the end, the real problem is your TV not being up to the task of displaying HD content.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,969 Posts
lsokoloff said:
Sony XBR, model #KV-36XBR400. As you probably know, the 36 represents a 36" screen.

Len
Okay, this is definitely a STANDARD-DEF TV. It does do progressive scan, so 480p is your best bet.

I know the component inputs will accept 720 and 1080 signals, but they get downconverted to standard-def (480) anyway, as that's the best the TV can do.

As you already know, you really don't get a whole lot of "HD benefit" from this TV, as it isn't an HDTV at all; just a really good standard-def TV.

·
Icon
866 Posts
"It has always been my observation that there was very little difference between SD and HD on my TV. I have never had that "WOW" impression when watching something in HD. So my thoughts are that either my SD is better than most, my HD is worse than most and/or my settings are not correct.

If you do not see a BIG difference between sd and hd there is definitely a problem.
As others have pointed out, unfortunately you do not have an hd television.
Whenever you get an hd set, on hd programming,you will see the Wow impression that most others see.

·
Hall Of Fame
15,561 Posts
dennispap said:
Whenever you get an hd set, on hd programming,you will see the Wow impression that most others see.
Yes, and the down side is you instantly will be "unwowed" with SD and join the chorus of us wanting someone to "remaster" Gilligan's Island in HD.:lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.